Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Have you guys seen this yet? This will be the new Now Playing layout in the next release, due out in a couple weeks. (You can see it by running the latest nightly of desktop SqueezePlay and selecting the 'QVGA Landscape Skin' under Settings > Screen > Select Skin.)
    Last edited by JJZolx; 2009-10-16 at 12:17.

This is the layout used in all the press pictures and I guess that's also the main purpose the designer had in mind.
    Unfortunately, it keeps all the bad points (e.g. barely readable time) of the current layout and makes the title even less readable. I sure hope that the developers understand that this layout is as useless as the current one for a bedside radio.

Keep in mind that not everyone is reading their display from far away... so there will simply not be "one" Now Playing screen that solves everyones wishes and desires. I use my Radio on my desk at work, about 12" from my hand -- so I very much like smaller text and the new full-screen artwork. However, I agree that from 10+ft away its basically useless (though at least with full screen artwork, its prettier!).

Ultimately I think its reasonable to go in a direction of customizable Now Playing screens on all SP-based products... as each person is going to use them differently. Its not an easy job -- so I strongly encourage the community to try to help with that in any productive way that they can.

Well, with it's mono setup and the built in RTC, the Radio is clearly aimed to be (also) used as a bedside radio.

There may be people who are able to read the time in the current "now playing" display, but I would assume there are not too many customers who have the eyesight of an eagle if they're sleepy and puffy.

Anyway, of course I'd be happy if there were multiple designs to choose from and to modify. Yet, the default design should be somewhat usable for the planned use case.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Wise View Post
    Ultimately I think its reasonable to go in a direction of customizable Now Playing screens on all SP-based products... as each person is going to use them differently. Its not an easy job -- so I strongly encourage the community to try to help with that in any productive way that they can.
    Another reason to open source the Now Playing screen and core screensavers. :-)
    https://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=14194
    owner of the stuff at https://tuxreborn.netlify.com/
    (which used to reside at www.tux.org/~peterw/)
    Note: The best way to reach me is email or PM, as I don't spend much time on the forums.
    Free plugins: AllQuiet Auto Dim/AutoDisplay BlankSaver ContextMenu DenonSerial
    FuzzyTime KidsPlay KitchenTimer PlayLog PowerCenter/BottleRocket SaverSwitcher
    SettingsManager SleepFade StatusFirst SyncOptions VolumeLock

I like that artwork.

Quote Originally Posted by gdpeck View Post
    I like that artwork.
    Well here's some more!
    What's happened to the player controls on Squeezeplay?
    Server - LMS 8.0.0 Pi4B 4GB/Flirc case/pCP 6.0.0-b9 18K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi3B+/pCP 5.0.0/pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/jivelite,
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 5.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Squeezebox Boom
    Garage - Pi3B/Pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/pCP 5.0.0 > Edifier R980T

Spares - 2xTouch, 1xSB3, 1xRadio, 6xRPi

Quote Originally Posted by kidstypike View Post
    Well here's some more!
    What's happened to the player controls on Squeezeplay?
    It's a known bug whenever you change skins. Close SqueezePlay and then open it back up and it will correct itself.

Quote Originally Posted by JJZolx View Post
    It's a known bug whenever you change skins. Close SqueezePlay and then open it back up and it will correct itself.
    Thanks JJZolx, that's what I did, and they're back.
    Server - LMS 8.0.0 Pi4B 4GB/Flirc case/pCP 6.0.0-b9 18K library, playlists & LMS cache on SSD (ntfs)
    Study - Pi3B+/pCP 5.0.0/pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/jivelite,
    Lounge - Pi2/pCP 5.0.0 > HiFiBerry DIGI+ > AudioEngine DAC1 > AVI DM5
    Dining Room - Squeezebox Boom
    Garage - Pi3B/Pi screen/HiFiBerry DAC+/pCP 5.0.0 > Edifier R980T

Spares - 2xTouch, 1xSB3, 1xRadio, 6xRPi

Logitech Harmony Employee Keymaster's Avatar
    New FW finally got album art to go full screen in now playing (but it's scaled a touch too big; I'm sure they'll fix that soon enough). I'm from the "the more artwork, the better" school. To that end, I would say that the perfect NP screen for me would be full screen art with all borders and info being hidden until an action is taken. Just like Windows "hide taskbar"

I know it's probably not everyone's cup of tea, but I think that would rule...