Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Poll: Do you have a Dual-Band Airport?

I'm trying to track down some info to help diagnose a syncing/streaming bug (bug 14570). I think I have just found that the Dual-Band Apple Airport in my house was the culprit -- turn its wireless off entirely completely solved my issues. On the flip-side, using ONLY the dual-band airport completely broke all of my wireless squeezeboxes!

Does anyone else out there have the Dual Band airport ... can you share your experiences with it and Squeezeboxes? (wireless)

Really, nobody has one?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Wise View Post
    Really, nobody has one?
    Its an Apple product Matt, people are having trouble admitting they own one! ;=}
    iPhone
    Media Room:
    ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
    Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
    Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
    Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
    Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
    Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
    Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
    Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

Quote Originally Posted by iPhone View Post
    Its an Apple product Matt, people are having trouble admitting they own one! ;=}
    :P So I spent the entire weekend running my squeezeboxes on my 'old' Airport Single-Band N Gig-E router (which is buried under the stairs in my "network room" and had zero problems all weekend. Synced Touches, Radios, Booms and a Transporter all weekend long without a single glitch.

I brought my Dual-Band airport in to give to QA for testing... I am seriously interested now to see who sees sync/streaming issues and who doesn't -- and which routers they have.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Wise View Post
    :P So I spent the entire weekend running my squeezeboxes on my 'old' Airport Single-Band N Gig-E router (which is buried under the stairs in my "network room" and had zero problems all weekend. Synced Touches, Radios, Booms and a Transporter all weekend long without a single glitch.

I brought my Dual-Band airport in to give to QA for testing... I am seriously interested now to see who sees sync/streaming issues and who doesn't -- and which routers they have.
    On the dual band, are there available setting or is it all automatic?
    iPhone
    Media Room:
    ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
    Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
    Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
    Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
    Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
    Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
    Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
    Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

On the dual band, are there available setting or is it all automatic?
    You can choose several settings for each band... it works best in Automatic mode for most people but you can definitely tune it a bit.

I had one and had problems with SBs, so I sent it back.

The device is not really that 'configurable', it's more of a plug and play device -- which is perfect for people who don't want to mess around with subnets or APs...

Yes, I do

Yes I have dual-band Time Capsule and I have had no problems since installing it a few weeks ago with a Classic and a Boom.

Of course the TC can be configured. I have tried allocating the bands manually and just leaving it on automatic and both work. Automatic works best (in terms of transfer rates) in my house although it then does not make much use of the 5 GHz frequency. The system correctly identifies that 2.4 GHz is best for our study computer which has an "n" connection.

Of more concern is tendency of Time Capsules to burn out their power supplies after 18 months (the capacitors don't like the high temperatures) - but that is another story.
    Clients: SB3, Boom. Server: work in progress, but PC Win. XP/SqueezeCenter (or whatever it is called this month) for now. Replay: AVI ADM9.1 Active Speakers. Personal: the technology is the means, the music is the end.

Or maybe it's because they want $180 for it!

I've had one for a few weeks now and haven't noticed anything unusual. My server is connected directly to it, but my two SB3s are wireless.