Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 111 of 111 FirstFirst ... 1161101109110111
Results 1,101 to 1,107 of 1107
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulkeeper View Post
    it looks like I have little choice.
    I had to reset my phone 2 days ago so lost this app. Then I remembered that I had bought it for a tablet not supported by Google from SlideMe.org. If you haven't used them before, you'll need an account and to download their APK. They have Squeeze Commander in their store at $4.99. I was allowed to download for free because I'd bought it from them previously.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick Seymour View Post
    ... SlideMe.org. If you haven't used them before, you'll need an account and to download their APK. They have Squeeze Commander in their store at $4.99.
    Was just about to suggest this. Not only safer than downloading from a random APK repository on the web, but presumably the developer will still get paid (yes, I know it's abandonware at this point, but if we still use it I think it's OK we pay).

If I remember correctly, the developer released the app on Slime.me at a time when the Android Store (as it was called then) didn't distribute pay-for apps in many countries, so using Slide.me was a way to have people from countries were buying apps on the Android store wasn't yet possible still be able to buy the Squeeze Commander.

I believe Google Play Store removed Squeeze Commander because it has access to sensitive data eg contacts, storage etc but has no privacy policy. Many of the apps permissions I believe are a consequence of being built for older Android before finer control was possible.

This means even if you get the APK and install it, if Google Play Protect is active for your device it will warn you that Squeeze Commander can steal your data etc. Play Protect will strongly suggest to uninstall the app as the recommended fix.

I hope the lack of a privacy policy is the actual concern with the app and not that Google has explicit other issues with the app.

Could we get the sourcecode for SqueezeCommander?

Is there any chance that Christian releases the code for squeezecommander in the public domain as opensource so the community can fix issues, improve the app and basically keep it running?
    Is anyone interested in pursuing this direction?

Quote Originally Posted by brjhaverkamp View Post
    Is there any chance that Christian releases the code for squeezecommander in the public domain as opensource so the community can fix issues, improve the app and basically keep it running?
    Is anyone interested in pursuing this direction?
    I'd like to believe that he's not doing that as a courtesy to other developers that still have SB apps for sale. But of course I would be a little biased against the release

Reality is, he's probably moved on to bigger and better things and just doesn't care about Squeeze Commander anymore.
    --------------
    Squeezebox apps for webOS, Android and Windows Phone, http://www.angrygoatapps.com

Quote Originally Posted by wt0 View Post
    I'd like to believe that he's not doing that as a courtesy to other developers that still have SB apps for sale. But of course I would be a little biased against the release

Reality is, he's probably moved on to bigger and better things and just doesn't care about Squeeze Commander anymore.
    The last words of his final post in this forum were "I'll see what I can do". Then nothing for six and a half years. Very strange.

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Just replaced my Samsung S5 with a Nokia 8 & the only issue I had was actually getting the APK onto the new device. Google drive & email attachment refused to play, as both recognised what it was & blocked it. Even renaming didn't help. In the end I had to physically copy to a micro SD card & then it installed OK.

Just for the record, I had bought the app previously so have no qualms over using an APK to re-install now it's no no longer on the Play store.