Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Question Must restart SBS from command line on reboot

Using Ubuntu 9.04. Since upgraded to 7.4, whenever I reboot, 'My Music' option disappears from SBS. Opening terminal and entering 'sudo service squeezeboxserver start' fixes the problem until I reboot. Apparently SBS does not startup when I boot the computer. There are no problems accessing my music folder. It's on a USB external drive that automounts every time. I can browse the files from within SBS. After I restart it from the command line, it woks flawlessly, but having to open a terminal and type out commands every time I reboot seems ridiculous. Any idea how to fix?

I have the same problem. Hoping someone can resolve this problem. I have switched back to 7.3.4 because of this problem and the stutter problem of audio playback on the duet controller.

A workaround for this problem (on Ubuntu) is using visudo to allow squeezeboxserver to be restarted without password in the start-up list.

Red face Visudo workaround

Sounds interesting. How does it work? Can you give me instructions on implementing athe workaround? I tried googling around about visudo, but didn't understand how it would provide a workaround.

Quote Originally Posted by 12barz View Post
    Using Ubuntu 9.04. Since upgraded to 7.4, whenever I reboot, 'My Music' option disappears from SBS. Opening terminal and entering 'sudo service squeezeboxserver start' fixes the problem until I reboot. Apparently SBS does not startup when I boot the computer. There are no problems accessing my music folder. It's on a USB external drive that automounts every time. I can browse the files from within SBS. After I restart it from the command line, it woks flawlessly, but having to open a terminal and type out commands every time I reboot seems ridiculous. Any idea how to fix?
    Do you have anything for SbS in your startup scripts (eg, /etc/init.d/squeezeboxserver and /etc/rc[?].d/)? If not, then one way to fix things is to use the Boot Up Manager (BUM) utility. You may not have BUM in your standard install, but you can add it via apt-get or the Synaptic gui package manager. There are other ways, but BUM is probably the easiest.

If you *do* have the requisite startup files, then check your /var/log/squeezeboxserver/server.log file for any errors.

I have the same issue.

My music is on an external drive. The problem is that the music directory does not exist at boot, which is when the SBS starts. The external disk gets mounted at login. The SBS Home screen does not show "My Music", even after the external drive is mounted and the music directory appears. 7.3.3 SBS did not have the problem of not showing the "My Music" menu item if the directory was not yet mounted. The only way to get the "My Music" menu is to restart SBS after the music directory is mounted.

Hmmm

cwmusson's post is interesting. I wonder if some startup script savvy person could figure out how to alter the startup script so that everything existed at the same time, or at least in the right order, and would work without an additional command from the terminal.