Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    22

    Local Best Buy giving Sony, not Squeezebox the love

    I was in my local Best Buy last month to see what Squeezebox products they had in stock and the cheerful salesman told me they no longer carry any Squeezebox products in store. Instead he ushered me to the display of the newer better product that just came out from Sony:

    http://www.engadget.com/2009/08/18/s...om-audio-line/

    I said thanks but walked away and then looked up the specs at home just out of curiosity. Not impressed. When you look at what the Radio and upcoming Touch offer it kind of made me feel bad for the developers at Sony. Plenty of resources no doubt but seriously lacking and rather expensive too.

    Anyhow I hadn't seen a post about these new Sony ALTUS products anywhere on the forums so thought I'd post a link and just say that I for one think compared to some folk, we have it good. Kudos to the developers bringing out the latest and greatest to the Squeezebox family. 100% satisfied that I went this route.

    Keep up the good work!

  2. #2
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    30
    Similar thing happened to me also.

    I went to my local Best Buy to pickup a boom about 2 weeks ago. I had to repeat myself 3 times when I asked for it, the salesperson still didn't know what I was talking about I had to take him to the product on display. After checking the stock level he tells me that they don't have it in stock then proceeded to tell me that the sony multiroom system was "The way to go".

    I was really abrupt with him following that I told him that "it was obvious he didn't know what he talking about if he was telling me that"

    I then took a 78 mile round trip to the other BB which did have one.
    LMS 7.9.1, Slimdevices Silver Transporter, 1 * SB Touch, 2 * SB Duets, 2 * SB Boom, 1 * SB Radio, 1 * Wandboard Quad, 2* Pi 3 + HiFiBerry-Amp+ Official Touchscreen + PiCorePlayer, (RIP SB Classic & SB Radio)

  3. #3
    Senior Member iPhone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    3,295
    Quote Originally Posted by lesliew View Post
    Similar thing happened to me also.

    I went to my local Best Buy to pickup a boom about 2 weeks ago. I had to repeat myself 3 times when I asked for it, the salesperson still didn't know what I was talking about I had to take him to the product on display. After checking the stock level he tells me that they don't have it in stock then proceeded to tell me that the sony multiroom system was "The way to go".

    I was really abrupt with him following that I told him that "it was obvious he didn't know what he talking about if he was telling me that"

    I then took a 78 mile round trip to the other BB which did have one.
    I do really feel for you guys, but there are these things called the Internet and phones. I mean if one is already out or at the BB for something else that is one thing, but to go without checking when its easy to go online or call to check stock. And if one is already at the Best Buy, have THEM tell you where the nearest one in stock is.

    And another heads up, they ARE in stock on the Logitech Squeezebox website.
    iPhone
    Media Room:
    ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

    Living Room:
    Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

    Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
    Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
    Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
    Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
    Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
    Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
    Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

  4. #4
    Senior Member maggior's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    nj
    Posts
    2,125
    Quote Originally Posted by coma View Post
    Not impressed. When you look at what the Radio and upcoming Touch offer it kind of made me feel bad for the developers at Sony. Plenty of resources no doubt but seriously lacking and rather expensive too.
    Sony has been playing catch-up with portable media players (mp3 players) for years. I used them for a while because they were the only ones that could play gapless, though with ATRAC :-(. Remember minidisc? That was a great success ;-). Once Apple supported gapless playback, I dropped Sony like a hot potato! I'm not surprised to see that they are doing the same with media streaming in the home now.

    It's sad to see - they invented the Walkman and helped develop the CD for crying out loud! What happened to them!?!?!


    Even when BB had the SB products on the shelves, you could never find them. They had them by the computer speakers. Huh? Same thing with CC (RIP). And the sales people couldn't tell you anything about them. When the Boom was released, it was impressive in that they had a table set up with a Duet and a Boom. But again, the sales people had no clue what the products were about.

    Online shopping is your friend these days.
    Rich
    ---------
    Setup: 2 SB3s, 4 Booms, 1 Duet, 1 Receiver, 1 Touch, iPeng on iPod Touch, SqueezeCommander, OrangeSqueeze, and SqueezePlayer on Xoom and Galaxy Player 4.2. CentOS 6.3 Server running LogitechMediaServer 7.7.2 and SqueezeSlave.
    Current library stats: 40,810 songs, 3,153 albums, 582 artists.
    http://www.last.fm/user/maggior

  5. #5
    Senior Member toby10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    USA (home of the bottomless credit card)
    Posts
    9,260
    Quote Originally Posted by maggior View Post
    .....
    Even when BB had the SB products on the shelves, you could never find them. They had them by the computer speakers. Huh? Same thing with CC (RIP). And the sales people couldn't tell you anything about them. When the Boom was released, it was impressive in that they had a table set up with a Duet and a Boom. But again, the sales people had no clue what the products were about.

    Online shopping is your friend these days.
    Yup, very true, and quite a shame really. Heck, I've seen SB players at BB in numerous different locations in the store, some stores had NONE!
    I travel a lot for biz and often have a great deal of time between appointments so I go window shopping.
    I actually bought a car on a biz trip once! The dangers of too much idle time.

    Keep in mind Sony has deep pockets to *nudge* (read: bribe) retailers to promote the Sony brand and/or particular products.
    But I'd also guess part of the blame for poor product placement at retail locations falls on Logitech itself. Not enough field reps? Do they have field reps?
    Assuming they do have (sufficient) field reps, I'd bet most know next to nothing about the SB devices, therefore they don't really understand how to market them, place them, train store employees for them.
    Just a guess, but keyboard & mouse reps may well be overlooking the SB players.

  6. #6
    Senior Member pfarrell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Wayne, PA
    Posts
    4,251

    Local Best Buy giving Sony, not Squeezebox the love

    toby10 wrote:
    > Keep in mind Sony has deep pockets to *nudge* (read: bribe) retailers
    > to promote the Sony brand and/or particular products.


    Er, in all food stores and most mass market retail stores, the profit
    margins are in selling the prime shelf space, not in the markup of the
    goods. End of aisle displays, prime shelf space at arm level, are worth
    money and retailers live on it.

    They have lots of terms that don't rhyme with bribe, but paying for
    placement is normal practice.

    --
    Pat Farrell
    http://www.pfarrell.com/


  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    22
    Speaking to the post about Sony playing catch-up.... it boggles the mind that they've been in this rut for years and still come up so short. I mean their new product is ages behind the first offerings from Logitech and Sonos. At least it plays nice with the iPod/iPhone which is a baby step from them and their death grip on developing and only supporting their proprietary formats. (MagicGate memory stick anyone?)

    The only reason I waited so long on the sidelines myself before not selecting Sonos and finally going the Squeezebox route is because I figured that Apple with their iTunes and then iPhone would come out with some new hardware to turn their AirTunes into a real contender. 3 years later and they have the AppleTV product but that's not close to what a you can do with 2 Squeezebox products. I'd be surprised if they don't eventually enter the fray but at this stage I doubt they could make any major improvements to what the two established and affordable brands are doing. The one thing they would have for them however is mega marketing muscle, and a great network of Apple Stores where people would see the product, worship it and purchase en masse.

    Would I purchase such a product? Not at this point, because I've already built a nice expandable networks of devices that serve my needs very well and it would be redundant. If it streamed 1080p HD video, had 5.1 surround and a few HDMI outputs.... then I'd buy a few. But only if their product came out before the Squeezebox version.
    Mac Mini & MacBookPro
    SBS 7.4
    4 SB Receivers
    1 SB Controller
    1 Boom
    1 Radio on order
    1 Touch on pre-order.

  8. #8
    Senior Member toby10's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    USA (home of the bottomless credit card)
    Posts
    9,260
    Quote Originally Posted by pfarrell View Post
    toby10 wrote:
    > Keep in mind Sony has deep pockets to *nudge* (read: bribe) retailers
    > to promote the Sony brand and/or particular products.


    Er, in all food stores and most mass market retail stores, the profit
    margins are in selling the prime shelf space, not in the markup of the
    goods. End of aisle displays, prime shelf space at arm level, are worth
    money and retailers live on it.

    They have lots of terms that don't rhyme with bribe, but paying for
    placement is normal practice.

    --
    Pat Farrell
    http://www.pfarrell.com/

    Yes, I'm not talking about paying for product placement. I'm talking about precisely what I said, "bribe".
    It happens at the store level, regional level, corporate level.

  9. #9
    Member
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    FL
    Posts
    30
    Quote Originally Posted by iPhone View Post
    I do really feel for you guys, but there are these things called the Internet and phones. I mean if one is already out or at the BB for something else that is one thing, but to go without checking when its easy to go online or call to check stock.
    It was one of those got to have it now times and after checking online first BB did have the best price. The boom is my 8th SB player and only the second one brought at a brick and mortar store.
    LMS 7.9.1, Slimdevices Silver Transporter, 1 * SB Touch, 2 * SB Duets, 2 * SB Boom, 1 * SB Radio, 1 * Wandboard Quad, 2* Pi 3 + HiFiBerry-Amp+ Official Touchscreen + PiCorePlayer, (RIP SB Classic & SB Radio)

  10. #10
    Senior Member linvale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Location
    New Jersey, USA
    Posts
    127

    Another competitor offering ... how does it compare?

    I came across these LINKSYS/CISCO products and a web site that Logitech will be looking at carefully. I can see where Squeezeradio and Fab4 will fit in in addressing this competition - I think we can see that the war for woreless music distribution is really just beginning and I for one hope that logitech and the squeeze line continue to stay ahead...

    http://www.shoplinksys.com/Player-Wi...VVviewprod.htm

    The provider that manages to have a product that works in the hands of the average Best Buy customer will win in the end.

    Looks as though the Logitech price points are about right.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •