Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Napster UK Now £5

I've only just become aware of this so I thought I'd pass it on. Probably common knowledge and I'm way behind.

Napster Unlimited streaming service is now £5 per month, and includes 5 free mp3 downloads per month. I only became aware of this when I was informed that my £9.95 sub would entitle me to 12 free mp3 downloads p/month.

Seems like a reasonable deal. I'd probably still change to a full Spotify sub if it was squeeze-integrated. Napster is 128kbps WMA vs. Spotify's 320kbps Ogg.

Keith
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Sorry, can't spare enough hours today for that 5 min job on the computer.

Bargain I say. Much better library too than Spotify.

One thing i'm not sure about - can you top up the free 5 tracks with paid for tracks so you can get a cheep album every month?
    Cheers, auto.

Lounge: Squeezebox 3, Squeezebox Controller, Cambridge Audio 640A, Mission 701's Kitchen: Squeezebox Touch, Trends TA-10.1, Kef Cresta 1's. Bedroom: Squeezebox Boom Bathroom/Garden: Squeezebox Radio Car: iPod Classic 80GB Portable: iPhone 3GS 32Gb (+iPeng)

As far as I can tell you can mix free and paid for tracks - will let you know on 1 Nov as I converted my existing subscription yesterday.

I also think this is great news - only happened this week and several months after they did the same in the US. I just hope they have infrastructure in place to support an influx of new customers as I still get buffering and dropped tracks at very busy times.
    Who am I on LAST.FM?
    "Siduhe Loved Tracks radio got the thumbs up. Feedback included: yeah, it's good... got the odd dodgy track tho..." (c) ModelCitizen

Im currently on Napster to go tariff for £15. If I change to the £5 tariff, what do I lose? The ability to put songs on my mp3 player and thats it?

Although I love Spotify Premium I really can't justify the 9.99 a month for streaming.

£5 is far more palatable, but I wondered how you all found Napster as a service in the UK?

Can the service be used natively on a Mac? or is it all browser based?

Thanks in advance

Talking

Obviously everyones on Spotify

Quote Originally Posted by local.bin View Post
    Can the service be used natively on a Mac? or is it all browser based?

Thanks in advance
    You can now use the "browser" version in the UK, but not in Safari, Firefox is the given choice!
    SB Touch, TeddySB3 (PSU), QED Digit & Positron PSU, NVA P90sa passive pre-amp, NVA A40 monoblock's, Fostex FE206E based big purple people eaters! The Caiman+ went back...

Quote Originally Posted by shevans View Post
    You can now use the "browser" version in the UK, but not in Safari, Firefox is the given choice!
    Ok thanks for that

Is it a good service for you? I've read some stories about poor customer support, but it looks a decent deal at £5?

Quote Originally Posted by local.bin View Post
    Ok thanks for that

Is it a good service for you? I've read some stories about poor customer support, but it looks a decent deal at £5?
    For £5.00 I'm not going to complain too much, I use it for background music and as a sort of try before I buy on CD. Gives me the option of listening to many Artists that I would not have even considered. It great for the kids - having the latest chart music without any effort on my part.

I have previously cancelled my Napster subscription, and after a few minutes wait on the telephone the subscription was cancelled with a reference number issued, all without any fuss. I also recently called them when I received a new debit card, but their system kept rejecting the new info. They did really try very hard to make my new card work but I have very little patience so just used another card.

I was unable to enter my password for Napster directly via a SB and had to enter it via mysqueezebox.com as the SB interface would not let me use lowercase!
    Last edited by shevans; 2009-10-11 at 13:00. Reason: Password!
    SB Touch, TeddySB3 (PSU), QED Digit & Positron PSU, NVA P90sa passive pre-amp, NVA A40 monoblock's, Fostex FE206E based big purple people eaters! The Caiman+ went back...

I would tend to agree that @ £5 a month it seems a no brainer. You also get to download and keep 5 MP3s a month.
    SBS 7.7 WHS, 1 SliMP3, 1 SB2, 1 SBC, 1 DUET, 1 BOOM, 1 RADIO, 1 TOUCH