Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

7.4 = Not that good thus far

First of all, the wiki for Linux installation is now useless with 7.4. Granted it's only been a few hours, but damn.

Squeezenetwork forced my hand to an upgrade. And now 7.4 will not recognize my library folder on another drive, and abort the scan incompletely, and not show my music collection in the home menu.

Geez.
    Last edited by pablolie; 2009-09-28 at 22:06.
    ...pablo
    Server: Virtual Machine (on VMware Workstation) running Ubuntu 18.04 + LMS 7.9.1
    System: SB Touch -optical-> Benchmark DAC2HGC -AnalysisPlus Oval Copper XLR-> NAD M22 Power Amp -AnalysisPlus Black Mesh Oval-> KEF Reference 1
    Other Rooms: 2x SB Boom; 1x SB Radio; 1x SB Classic-> NAD D7050 -> Totem DreamCatcher + Velodyne Minivee Sub
    Computer audio: workstation -USB-> audioengine D1 -> Grado RS1/Shure 1540

And the uninstall instructions don't work - something about the 7.4 installation now requires hardcore root privileges to run the sudo uninstall command... what is going on here...?!
    ...pablo
    Server: Virtual Machine (on VMware Workstation) running Ubuntu 18.04 + LMS 7.9.1
    System: SB Touch -optical-> Benchmark DAC2HGC -AnalysisPlus Oval Copper XLR-> NAD M22 Power Amp -AnalysisPlus Black Mesh Oval-> KEF Reference 1
    Other Rooms: 2x SB Boom; 1x SB Radio; 1x SB Classic-> NAD D7050 -> Totem DreamCatcher + Velodyne Minivee Sub

Which wiki page?

Assuming you already have the SD repo setup in your sources.list, installing on Ubuntu is just "sudo apt-get install squeezeboxserver". Uninstall would be "sudo apt-get purge squeezeboxserver". Sudo is always needed to run apt-get on Ubuntu, that's an OS requirement, nothing to do with SBS/SC.

Very odd stuff. I was using the sudo command, but had to truly root myself to delete some weird files that had ended in a wrong directory. I purged everything (some manually) and then installed 7.4 from scratch. Which now, not surprisingly, seems to work.

The fact the SB3s were not able to connect to Squeezenetwork while all this was going on did not improve my mood, the new SN was unaware of them without the new firmware. And there were some odd struggles getting all players on SN, since at times they'd ask me to enter my account into locally (like I want to do that with a SBoom remote...) even though after some navigating back and forth (and unpowering) they'd pick things up.

So I am watching this a bit suspiciously.

I like the new skin on the controller very much, but other than that don't see what's so different about 7.4...
    ...pablo

Don't you have the impression the web interface is faster, too ?
    With a medium-powered headless linux server and Safari on a Mac (over a wired network), my impression is I went from slow to snappy.

My impression in Ubuntu is that it is pretty much the same (a good thing, since apps tend to invariably bloat and slow down over time). May be because I am still adjusting to running SBS on a slower (albeit perfectly adequate) machine...
    ...pablo

My Ubuntu SBS 7.4 install now regularly drops the library - SN stays on. Very annoying. Guess it also explains some of the scanning issues people see, or the inability of the web browser to start up. Stopping and starting the application seems to fix it. But VERY annoying.
    ...pablo