Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Thinking about where to put the SB Radio?

I cannot decide whether to put the radio in the kitchen or in the bath/shower area. I am leaning toward the latter because I like good music while I am getting ready for work. But, I am wondering whether the humidity of the bath area would have a bad effect on the radio. The area is vented with a fan but it does get somewhat humid in there. Would that hurt the radio at all? Any suggestions? Thanks.

SB Touch, TeddySB3 (PSU), QED Digit & Positron PSU, NVA P90sa passive pre-amp, NVA A40 monoblock's, Fostex FE206E based big purple people eaters! The Caiman+ went back...

Quote Originally Posted by Ikabob View Post
    I cannot decide whether to put the radio in the kitchen or in the bath/shower area. I am leaning toward the latter because I like good music while I am getting ready for work. But, I am wondering whether the humidity of the bath area would have a bad effect on the radio. The area is vented with a fan but it does get somewhat humid in there. Would that hurt the radio at all? Any suggestions? Thanks.
    Well the beauty is its portable if you spring for the battery/remote accessory kit, so use it in both or everywhere for that matter.

As for the bathroom, the Radio should not be exposed to liquid water goes without saying. It is also not useable in condensing water vapor environment either. So the humid issue would fall back to whether the humidity or steam can condense in or on the unit. Another issue is how much and how often the Radio would be exposed to steam, heavy humidity, or moisture that might start affecting the drivers. Other the that, if those issue don't crop up, I think one would be OK. If one has drip runs on ones mirror after taking a shower, I say keep it in another room or watch the Radio very closely for signs of moisture.

I use my Boom in the bathroom and have been doing so for over a year without issue. We have both an exhaust fan as well as a ceiling fan in the bath so it doesn't get to steamy in there.
    iPhone
    Media Room:
    ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
    Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
    Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
    Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
    Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
    Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
    Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
    Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive