Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Is the latest 7.4 beta close enough?

Can anyone address whether Squeezecenter 7.4.0-28647 is sufficiently close to the about-to-be-released version 7.4 that I might go ahead and install, with reasonable prospect of successful use? I could certainly wait till Monday for the actual release version, but have free time this weekend to burn.

Thanks!

Is the latest 7.4 beta close enough?

p-cubed wrote:
    > Can anyone address whether Squeezecenter 7.4.0-28647 is sufficiently
    > close to the about-to-be-released version 7.4 that I might go ahead and
    > install, with reasonable prospect of successful use? I could certainly
    > wait till Monday for the actual release version, but have free time this
    > weekend to burn.

It works fairly well, I've been running 7.4 for months. Just be ready to
    back it out if you really, really need something that doesn't work today.

--
    Pat Farrell
    http://www.pfarrell.com/

Worked very well for me on ubuntu 8.10 (use the instable repository and "apt-get squeezeboxserver" instead of "squeezecenter").
    I had to migrate all plugins and prefs manually, I don't know if the release version will do that automatically. Fact is, there are now 2 different directories on my machine, and I can fire 7.4 or 7.3.

I did not create a mysqueezebox.com account, I suppose the accounts will be migrated by Logi, and creating a duplicate may cause unnecessary trouble. I don't really care for "My Apps" anyway, so I'll wait on Monday.

The web interface seems a lot faster. You will not recognize your Controller if you have one.

I am not at all sure I like what it has done to my controllers. I find the new interface ungainly and the devices don't work in the same way they used too. I agree that the the web interface seems markedly quicker though.

I think 7.4 is aimed mostly at at the new touch screen devices and increasing code conformity across the product range.

I don't like some of the changes to the controllers. The clocks are ugly and the backgrounds dull, the action of the play and center buttons confusing and the small screen cluttered with icons. The "My Apps and "App Gallery" take up too much home menu (and seems like a daft idea anyway), and the alarm does not accept playlists that use the BBC iPlayer streams.

Personally I'd not upgrade to 7.4 unless you needed to, were buying a Squeeze Radio or like pain. I wouldn't have done if I'd known how it was going to affect my controllers.

MC
    Last edited by ModelCitizen; 2009-09-28 at 14:43. Reason: Typos
    Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known
    Last.fm/user/ModelCitizen

Thanks all for the helpful reviews.I'll stick with 7.3.3 for a while, as everything works well now, and we do use the Controller extensively. I'm hooked on iPeng also, and probably should wait for the next iteration of that before moving to 7.4?

Quote Originally Posted by p-cubed View Post
    Thanks all for the helpful reviews.I'll stick with 7.3.3 for a while, as everything works well now, and we do use the Controller extensively. I'm hooked on iPeng also, and probably should wait for the next iteration of that before moving to 7.4?
    The next version of iPeng is very neat and (I believe) should be with you soon.

From what you say, not upgrading is definitely your best course of (in)action. If it ain't broke don't fix it.....

MC

Quote Originally Posted by ModelCitizen View Post
    Personally I'd not upgrade to 7.4 unless you really needed to
    MC
    Did you already realize, that from tomorrow on, there won't be an easy way to stay at 7.3.3 ?

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph...ase_Highlights

Right at the beginning 'Upgrade to 7.4 required'.
    Also the texts under http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph...Squeezebox.com doesn't sound to promising if one wants to stay at 7.3.3
    Did you know: SqueezePlayer will stream all your music to your Android device. Take your music everywhere!
    Remote Control + Streaming to your iPad? Squeezebox + iPad = SqueezePad
    Want to see a Weather Forecast on your Radio/Touch/Controller ? => why not try my Weather Forecast Applet
    Want to use the Headphones with your Controller ? => why not try my Headphone Switcher Applet

I do like the new interface, especially in use with squeezecenter.
    I think the sbc is a little more stable and don't "bounce" that much under some menu's as it could do in the past, I like the context menu's for info.

I like the icons a drab list of text items is not soo nice in the long run.

I like the easy library switching.

I'm yet to be convinced that the seamless squeezeboxserver mysqueezebox.com switching is the right thing to do even if it is a popular change.

I'm with MC regarding apps they have it's place but 5/6 of whats considered apps is not applications and services as such they belong under internetradio where they have been all years prior to this release shoutcast is NOT an application period.

What is downright incomprehensible is for example the News ticker application ?how do you use it, what is suposed to hapen you press "play"!? on an article, then what ? it is not shown anywhere near you.
    I want information browser back, it worked rigth on the controller.

Edit found it it' still there now i can read slashdot news again.
    Last edited by Mnyb; 2009-09-27 at 11:45.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

If you want to stay at 7.3 make sure you don't use SqueezeNetwork or you'll get stuck in another one of those obnoxious firmware upgrade battles.

Quote Originally Posted by bluegaspode View Post
    Did you already realize, that from tomorrow on, there won't be an easy way to stay at 7.3.3 ?

http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph...ase_Highlights
    The next week on these forums could be interesting.

MC
    Last edited by ModelCitizen; 2009-09-27 at 23:34.