Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post

I like the easy library switching.

I'm yet to be convinced that the seamless squeezeboxserver mysqueezebox.com switching is the right thing to do even if it is a popular change.
    If you keep your computer on all the time (as I do) and have your squeezenetwork info applied in squeezecenter, will it work as it does now (no switching) -- just seamless operation between Internet and local music?

Or does it now force a switch, even if you have SC on and you are logged in via SC to SNetwork? If it does, that seems like it could be slower and not seamless.

Quote Originally Posted by eap View Post
    If you keep your computer on all the time (as I do) and have your squeezenetwork info applied in squeezecenter, will it work as it does now (no switching) -- just seamless operation between Internet and local music?

Or does it now force a switch, even if you have SC on and you are logged in via SC to SNetwork? If it does, that seems like it could be slower and not seamless.
    No, it doesn't switch automatically. I wouldn't exactly call the integration seamless, but it's not too obtrusive. If you're connected to SqueezeNetwork and you select My Music then you're prompted to switch to one of the available local servers. If you're connected to a local server and select a service that the local server can't provide then you're prompted to switch to SN.

It mostly works. I'm not sure all of the connection bugs have quite been ironed out, but we'll see.

Is the latest 7.4 beta close enough?

JJZolx wrote:
    > No, it doesn't switch automatically. I wouldn't exactly call the
    > integration seamless, but it's not too obtrusive.

I agree, earlier in the beta, the Debian/Ubuntu install was a bit rough,
    but its been clean lately.

Two rules:

1) make backups
    2) if it aint broke, don't fix it.

--
    Pat Farrell
    http://www.pfarrell.com/

Quote Originally Posted by JJZolx View Post
    No, it doesn't switch automatically. I wouldn't exactly call the integration seamless, but it's not too obtrusive. If you're connected to SqueezeNetwork and you select My Music then you're prompted to switch to one of the available local servers. If you're connected to a local server and select a service that the local server can't provide then you're prompted to switch to SN.

It mostly works. I'm not sure all of the connection bugs have quite been ironed out, but we'll see.
    So now I'm NOT prompted, but with the new software I will HAVE to be prompted? How is that an improvement? Why do I need a prompt if I'm connected via squeezecenter to both sq center and sq network? Are you sure? Please tell me you are not sure about this.

Right now I switch from local computer music to Internet radio without prompting (it is virtually instant). I don't want some annoying prompt. -- can it be changed to NOT prompt. Its not needed if you keep your computer on. I thought it was only for those who turned off their computers?

Who was the brilliant developer at Logitech that thought this was needed? Just cause a few idiots turn off their computer and can't figure things out?

How is this a better thing? I am royally annoyed -- was this discussed during the development in the beta stage? Why can't it work the way it works now and ONLY prompt if you are not running sq center connected to sq network?

Quote Originally Posted by eap View Post
    So now I'm NOT prompted, but with the new software I will HAVE to be prompted?
    Take it easy, man.
    What JJZolx was talking about is what happens when a SB is switched from SC to SN and vice versa.
    Listening to Internet radios when connected to SC doesn't require to switch to SN.

It had been a while since I played around with an older SB3, but it looks like the switching between a local server and SN on those players hasn't changed. On the Home menu there's a 'mysqueezebox.com' selection for switching to SN and when connected to SN there's a menu selection to switch back to the local server.

It's pretty good

I've been using 7.4 for about a week and it seems to work very well. I had to sign back up for the services via the controller as the mysqueezebox page wasn't working properly, but other than that I haven't had major problems.

Also, in general, I like the changes to the controller operation and appearance quite a lot compared to the older versions. It's more intuitive to use and looks much more polished. I don't think it looks drab or ugly at all.

IMO, this release makes the Controller a mature product. Frankly I had stopped caring for this device a while ago.
    Now it looks and feels -and actually is I think-, much more solid. I recently yanked the SBR out of the network, so this might help, but over the last day I've used it quite a lot, installing / restarting SB Server, applets, clicking all over.
    Reconnect was reliable. Wake from deep sleep is reasonably fast. I think I've had 2 unexpected reboots, the controller sitting idle, battery under 50%. Recovery was fast and complete every time.
    Still doesn't fly in terms of battery life, but since sleep/wake seems reliable, the improvement is clear.
    IMO the screens are a lot prettier, and album covers look nice, at long last.
    I believe this release will be a pleasant surprise for Duet owners.

I despise "My music" and "My apps". I know it's mine, thank you. Why not "My settings", "My recent searches"... ??
    Last edited by epoch1970; 2009-09-27 at 18:40.

Is the latest 7.4 beta close enough?

epoch1970 wrote:
    > I despise "My music" and "My apps". I know it's mine, thank you. Why
    > not "My settings", "My recent searches"... ??

As do I, and everyone else who saw all the MyFoo naming back in the
    dot.com boom days.

--
    Pat Farrell
    http://www.pfarrell.com/

Quote Originally Posted by epoch1970 View Post
    IMO, this release makes the Controller a mature product. Frankly I had stopped caring for this device a while ago.
    Now it looks and feels -and actually is I think-, much more solid. I recently yanked the SBR out of the network, so this might help, but over the last day I've used it quite a lot, installing / restarting SB Server, applets, clicking all over.
    Reconnect was reliable. Wake from deep sleep is reasonably fast. I think I've had 2 unexpected reboots, the controller sitting idle, battery under 50%. Recovery was fast and complete every time.
    Still doesn't fly in terms of battery life, but since sleep/wake seems reliable, the improvement is clear.
    IMO the screens are a lot prettier, and album covers look nice, at long last.
    I believe this release will be a pleasant surprise for Duet owners.

I despise "My music" and "My apps". I know it's mine, thank you. Why not "My settings", "My recent searches"... ??

Is the 7.4 beta out there now essentially the final -- or will there be changes made today/Monday? I'm home all day Monday and have time to install during the day. Or should I wait for the final to be released.