Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thumbs down Squeezebox Classic (SB3) discontinued?

Hi
    I heard rumors that the Classic will be discontinued due to the release of the Touch but haven't been able to find anything specific about this. Are the rumors true and when will this happen (I'd like to get 1 or 2 extra Classic's before it's too late).
    Cheers, Tommy

Quote Originally Posted by tipsen View Post
    Hi
    I heard rumors that the Classic will be discontinued due to the release of the Touch but haven't been able to find anything specific about this. Are the rumors true and when will this happen (I'd like to get 1 or 2 extra Classic's before it's too late).
    Cheers, Tommy
    It's not on Logitech's site anymore so better hurry up...
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Are the rumors true and when will this happen (I'd like to get 1 or 2 extra Classic's before it's too late).
    Yes, the rumors are true, and they'll be discontinued when the last one is sold. I have the impression, but no hard information, that they stopped production of the SB3/Classic earlier this year. If you can't find any at Logitech's site you can probably still find some at other retailers, or new-in-box items on eBay and the like.

They are still available at Amazon(1left) and J&R.com. Why not the touch with all the additional features? Just curious.
    Last edited by Ikabob; 2009-09-25 at 05:54.

Quote Originally Posted by Ikabob View Post
    They are still available at Amazon . Why not the touch with all the additional features? Just curious.
    Amazon.de:
    Touch: €299,-
    Classic: €157,98

If you've got a server, don't need a Touch-Screen-Controller it's simply the most bang for the buck right now.
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Yes, I tend to agree with you. But the USB port is a very nice feature for future applications. But Ido agree with you . I could like SB3s for the money. Less things that go wrong.

Thanks for the replies. I'm still interested in the Classic since it's a cheap solution - I'd rather have two extra Classic's than one Touch. Furthermore the display of the Classic is readable from a distance (4-6m) which I don't think will be the case with the Touch's display. Sorry to hear that it is being discontinued - but perhaps I'll be able to shop around for a good offer.

Furthermore the display of the Classic is readable from a distance (4-6m) which I don't think will be the case with the Touch's display.
    I'm a big fan of the Classic too, but the Touch works pretty well for distance use. It has a proximity sensor so when you are up close it uses a small sized font, and when you use a remote (and the proximity sensor is not triggered) it uses a larger font. Easily usable from 5m imho for selecting and playing music. Now Playing screen may need a bit of work for distance use but it's not far off.
    Who am I on LAST.FM?
    "Siduhe Loved Tracks radio got the thumbs up. Feedback included: yeah, it's good... got the odd dodgy track tho..." (c) ModelCitizen

Got my spare SB3 yesterday...

...and paid a fair price for it on Amazon, as a bonus.

I like a lot the embedded server in the Touch, but that's about it.
    I don't understand the urge to use an LCD screen, this is not a video device, it's about music.
    Compared to the display panel on the Classic, the LCD, even of exceptional quality, -and that would be a departure from the Controller screen- won't be legible enough: no contrast and too small.
    Besides, I have my daily dose of netbook, ipod, iphone, etc. I enjoy SB3s because I can listen to music and forget the technicalities. The Touch just tries to draw your attention to itself.

I hope for the BU that the Touch is a success, technical and commercial. For me, I am now set to skip a generation of products.

EDIT: I haven't used or even seen a Touch in real life. I own a Duet.
    Last edited by epoch1970; 2009-09-25 at 12:04.

Well, the reason for the Touch LCD over SB3 VFD are many and varied:
    - SB3 screen seems dated (though, like you, I love it)
    - color screen, album and station art
    - better Menu navigation (can see more than three lines)
    - more "apps" can be utilized
    - color & touch screen are where the market is going

Touch's text font is larger than the SB3 font using Touch's Proximity and/or Large Text feature for reading the screen from further away than the SB3 screen.

But, like any product, it isn't for everyone.