Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Whither the Duet?

Prominently absent from the product photo rotation on the new http://www.logitechsqueezebox.com home page.

And a distant fourth in the product matrix: http://www.logitechsqueezebox.com/product_matrix.html

Lightbulb Selling

Quote Originally Posted by JJZolx View Post
    Prominently absent from the product photo rotation on the new http://www.logitechsqueezebox.com home page.

And a distant fourth in the product matrix: http://www.logitechsqueezebox.com/product_matrix.html
    Think they might be pushing the new units? I do. Selling the Radio, Touch, and Boom this Holiday Season is going to be a large requirement.
    iPhone
    Media Room:
    ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
    Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
    Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
    Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
    Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
    Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
    Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
    Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

The Duet is in the product photo rotation -- you have to cycle through twice to see it.

Well, you gotta guess the Deut's days are numbered once the cheaper color screen units come out.

Playback will never be perfect and it has half the memory of the other devices so its likely it will be phased out over time.

I'll have a soft spot for it since it's the only player my girlfriend ever warmed up to, but I really bought it for its ability as a player which turned out to be a big disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by sander View Post
    Well, you gotta guess the Deut's days are numbered once the cheaper color screen units come out.

Playback will never be perfect and it has half the memory of the other devices so its likely it will be phased out over time.

I'll have a soft spot for it since it's the only player my girlfriend ever warmed up to, but I really bought it for its ability as a player which turned out to be a big disappointment.
    Can you be a bit more clear about your issues? Are you talking about problems with the Duet product (which is a Receiver + Controller), or just the Receiver or just the Controller? Were you trying to do playback on the controller through the audio jack, or are you having problems with playback through the Receiver, being controlled by the controller?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Wise View Post
    Can you be a bit more clear about your issues?
    I meant the controller as a player has always been pretty flaky for me. It's frequently slow to respond, randomly looses connection under heavy usage, the output doesn't switch correctly (I know there's a plugin for that now) and the cover art randomly stops working. The icing on the cake is it looks like it will never sync correctly which makes it basically half a player in my book.

In my opinion the controller was never able to overcome its hardware limitations. The cpu is too weak to give a really fluid experience, but it uses enough power that the power saving really becomes obtrusive. I just hope Logitech upholds its tradition of supporting and continuing to support and enhance older players.

For my usage as a slightly enhanced controller which is easier to do extended searches from and ersatz color screen unit (it's docked 99% of the time) its OK. My other big disappointment was the lack of screensavers, but 7.4 should fix that.

My receivers have been flawless, for their limited functionality, but I can't see someone shelling out $300+ for the duet when the new devices are so much cheaper.
    Last edited by sander; 2009-09-28 at 07:46. Reason: html tag

My receivers have been flawless, for their limited functionality, but I can't see someone shelling out $300+ for the duet when the new devices are so much cheaper.
    What new devices offer the same functionality as the Duet? The Squeezebox Radio is network clock/radio thing. The Squeezebox Touch is just a Squeezbox Classic replacement. Neither of them put a portable music controller in your hand.

What new devices offer the same functionality as the Duet? The Squeezebox Radio is network clock/radio thing. The Squeezebox Touch is just a Squeezbox Classic replacement. Neither of them put a portable music controller in your hand.
    At least not until the battery pack mod comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by eq72521 View Post
    At least not until the battery pack mod comes out.
    Then you'll have a portable radio. I don't get the connection to the Duet, unless you think a portable radio sounds anything like your stereo system. If it does, I would say a major upgrade is in order.

I just hope Logitech upholds its tradition of supporting and continuing to support and enhance older players.
    It's good that Logitech have a tradition of this too. I was aware of SlimDevices reputation in this area.

The only product that can be compared to the Controller is the iPhone with iPeng. I believe that there are apps for controlling Squeeze devices being developed for Google's Android platform too.

MC
    Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known
    Last.fm/user/ModelCitizen