Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 63 1231151 ... LastLast

Announce: Custom Clock applet for Touch/Radio/Controller

The Custom Clock screensaver for Squeezebox Controller/Touch/Radio is now ready for usage.

See the following wiki page for more information:
    http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph...m_Clock_applet

It's installed by going to "Settings/Advanced/Applet Installer" on the Touch, Radio or Controller. In the Applet Installer you will find a "Custom Clock" applet which you need to install. You will in Squeezebox Server either check the "Show all 3rd party plugins" checkbox or manually configure my repository, if you don't it won't appear in "Applet Installer".

Finally, you will need to select "Custom Clock" as screensaver on the Touch, Radio or Controller.

It has a setting menu under "Settings/Screen/Custom Clock" where you can select:
    - which style to use for the image
    - what kind of time and date information to show
    - select if you like to show information about currently playing track or not

Some screenshots follows below.

PLEASE NOTE!
    It's very easy for me to add new custom styles on user request, you just have to create the necessary images. Since, I'm not a good graphical designer myself I'd really like help to add more styles by someone that's good at graphical design.

In the digital mode there are two possible images:
    - The background image
    - The clock face image

In the analog mode there are five possible images:
    - The background image
    - The clock face image (Can be sized so it fills the complete screen or have the same size as the hour/minute/second hand images)
    - The hour hand (Needs to be a square image with the hand starting in the middle and going straight up)
    - The minute hand (Needs to be a square image with the hand starting in the middle and going straight up)
    - The second hand (Needs to be a square image with the hand starting in the middle and going straight up)

It's appropriate to create the hand and clock face images with the resolution 240x240, this will fill the complete width on a Squeezebox Controller and the complete height on a Squeezebox Radio.

Some sample images from the standard clock applet in the 7.4 firmare:
    - Clock face: http://svn.slimdevices.com/repos/jiv...ock_analog.png
    - Hour hand: http://svn.slimdevices.com/repos/jiv...og_hr_hand.png
    - Minute hand: http://svn.slimdevices.com/repos/jiv...g_min_hand.png

Post in the 3rd party plugin section of the forum and mention "Custom Clock" in the title of the thread if you have made some images you like to be added as a style.
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    Lead platform developer of ickStream Music Platform - A world of music at your fingertips

(Also developer of many plugins/applets)

Thumbs up Looking good

Awesome as always! Great Clock plugin
    Last edited by iPhone; 2009-09-25 at 19:55.
    iPhone
    Media Room:
    ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
    Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
    Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
    Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
    Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
    Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
    Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
    Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

Very nice! This solves my problem of not being able to see the time if I take the Radio out to the pool.

I had a lot of trouble changing my settings to get it the way I want. I think it is only saving one change even if you change multiple things in the custom settings?

Would it be possible to remove the leading 0 when 12-hour time is selected for the clock?

Could the date options include a short Weekday Day Month option? I would rather have a short version of all date info on the bottom instead of having the weekday cycling with the song info.

For Example: Fri 25 Sept

How about a cover art option for the background with the text overlayed? Maybe even 2 options--one for cropped which would make the cover art as big as the longest screen dimension, cropping the excess; and one for fit, which would force the cover to the size of the smallest screen dimension, leaving bars on the top or sides. The text would probably need shadows for this to look good, though.

Edit: When I tried the "classic clock" style it made the top line of text (song info and weekday) a pale gray which was not enough contrast against the white bar at the top.
    Sue
    "If you're happy and you know it turn the volume up and blow it out."

In Use: 1 Touch | 1 Booms | 6 Radios (Sold: 1 Boom | 1 Duet | 1 SB2)
    HP Proliant N54G | Logitech Media Server 7.9 | iPhone & iPad w/ iPeng
    Find me on Last.FM | Twitter | Rhapsody
    My Journey to Musical Bliss | Squeezebox is Dead. Long Live Squeezebox.

There is now a 1.1 version available with the following changes:
    - Added support for showing album covers in background
    - Added support for showing hours without leading zero
    - Added support for Weekday Day Month option for text item
    - Adjusted some clock styles to make them look better on all supported Squeezebox types

I've also added some more information on the wiki page that describes what images you need to create to make your own custom clock style.
    http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph...#Customization

Note!
    To take advantage of the new clock style changes, you will need to go into the Custom Clock Settings/Styles menu select another style and select the old one again and step left out of the menu.
    Last edited by erland; 2009-09-26 at 01:05.
    Lead platform developer of ickStream Music Platform - A world of music at your fingertips

Quote Originally Posted by MeSue View Post
    I had a lot of trouble changing my settings to get it the way I want. I think it is only saving one change even if you change multiple things in the custom settings?
    It would help if you could describe exactly how you navigate when you see this.

The principles are:
    - When you select another style in the Custom Clock Settings/Style menu, all parameters will be restored to the ones provided with that clock style. So after changing style, you will need to re-apply any customizations you have done for the Item 1, Item 2 and Item 3 options.
    - After the style change, you can use the Item 1, Item 2 and Item 3 options to change what you like to show, the settings are store when you hit left and move out of the menu. So you need to move left to actually store the setting you've changed.
    - If you like to go back to the default settings for the selected style, just go into the Custom Clock Settings/Style menu select another style and immediately afterwards select the style you want, finally move left to store the changes.

Erland,
    thanks for trying to breeze some fresh air in my Controller!

I run SC7.3.3, I was surprised to see the daylight clock applet available. I opted to install it, the menus are here but nothing happens on the controller.

I guess you need a more recent version of the server or the firmware to run it ? I've taken a quick look at the wiki, and server version is not really mentioned, except I am not aware I run the "Squeezebox Server" yet.

No worries. I'll wait.

(otherwise: the only peculiar thing about my install is that the controller runs on another network, with a few firewall rules to let it communicate with the server on the lan.)
    Last edited by epoch1970; 2009-09-26 at 05:17.

Quote Originally Posted by epoch1970 View Post
    I run SC7.3.3, I was surprised to see the daylight clock applet available. I opted to install it, the menus are here but nothing happens on the controller.

I guess you need a more recent version of the server or the firmware to run it ? I've take a quick look at the wiki, and server version is not really mentioned, except I am not aware I run the "Squeezebox Server" yet.
    They both require the 7.4 version of of the Controller firmware which you'll get if you install the latest nightly of Squeezebox Server 7.4.

I had an error in my repository xml file which made them appear on 7.3, this has now been corrected. Thanks for reporting.

Good, then.
    For the record, trying to run this applet may have broken the other screensavers on the current controller version. Instead of Flicker or even Classic clock, I get I a blank screen.
    I'll try to find a fix and update.

EDIT: Easy-peasy. Choose the clock screensaver, then power off the Controller and restart. Then it works as expected.
    Last edited by epoch1970; 2009-09-26 at 05:17.

Wow! Everything I asked for. Thank you so much. It's AWESOME!!!! The shaded album cover looks really nice for the background.

The trouble I was having changing settings must have been from changing the style. It's not an issue now that I understand changing the style resets everything.

When I go to the applet install, I see two entries for Custom Clock. I guess this is because I have your normal repository and the one for your beta stuff? It doesn't seem to cause any problem... just thought I'd mention it.

If the Wizard Erland would care to grant me one more wish, I would prefer the song info to scroll instead of cycling. If it scrolled it could be in a larger size like the same size as the bottom row of text would be good, I think.
    Sue
    "If you're happy and you know it turn the volume up and blow it out."

In Use: 1 Touch | 1 Booms | 6 Radios (Sold: 1 Boom | 1 Duet | 1 SB2)
    HP Proliant N54G | Logitech Media Server 7.9 | iPhone & iPad w/ iPeng
    Find me on Last.FM | Twitter | Rhapsody
    My Journey to Musical Bliss | Squeezebox is Dead. Long Live Squeezebox.

Announce: Custom Clock applet forTouch/Radio/Controller

I tried setting Custom Clock as my "When Stopped" screensaver. However, when I play music it comes on too (When Playing screensaver is set to Now Playing).