Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Anyone Run The Radio Wired ? Lights in Back?

I run my duet receiver wired and would want to run the Radio wired as well (my house is new construction and is pre-wired with ethernet runs in all the bedrooms, that homerun to my home office, where my router sits).

My question is, with the lights off, do the lights from the Ethernet cable in the back (orange and green blinking lights) cause an issue?

When I turn off the light in my family room where my duet receiver sits, I see a big orange glow behind the duet receiver from the ethernet connection and the green light flashes occasionally (even with the duet off). I'm not sure that it would be good to have that glow or intermittent flashing green in the bedroom.

I understand the clock light dims on the front of the radio, but what about the lights in the back from the Ethernet connection. Can they be turned OFF or dimmed? If not, can this feature be added via firmware? Otherwise, the wall next to my bed stand will have an orange glow.

I bet no one ever considered this issue at Logitech (since it appears that most people run these things wireless). However, wired is always better, if you have the choice for any networked equipment.

On my beta hardware, there is no LED on the ethernet connection on the back of the Radio so there is no problem.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    On my beta hardware, there is no LED on the ethernet connection on the back of the Radio so there is no problem.
    Really? I thought that was an ethernet standard (i.e. required) -- are you sure they aren't there, but just not visible without the cable connected?

If you look at the gallery shots on this page (click the Radio top right)
    http://www.logitechsqueezebox.com/pr...box-radio.html

you will see there are no LEDs in the ethernet connection on the back of the Radio.

If there was, this is not something that could be controlled by firmware. the control of them is purely at the hardware level of the ethernet interface it is connected to. It you have a look at your PC when it is off, the lights are still on when a cable is connected.

[Project Log] Funkstars Digital Lifestyle - HEXUS.Community

In use: 1x Touch, 1x Boom, 2x SB3, 1x Controller
    In a box: 1x Radio, 1x (Beta) Controller, 1x Receiver, 1x SB2 wired (silver), 1x SB (black), 1x SliMP3 (with rear shield)

If you have any others, let me know, I'm interested!!

Quote Originally Posted by funkstar View Post
    If you look at the gallery shots on this page (click the Radio top right)
    http://www.logitechsqueezebox.com/pr...box-radio.html

you will see there are no LEDs in the ethernet connection on the back of the Radio.

If there was, this is not something that could be controlled by firmware. the control of them is purely at the hardware level of the ethernet interface it is connected to. It you have a look at your PC when it is off, the lights are still on when a cable is connected.
    I saw that back shot before, but it really is hard to tell, as those LEDs are pretty small typically (and could still be there). Do you have the radio and are you confirming there are no LEDs there and no lights when connected via cable -- or are you assuming as such based on the photo?

Here is a closeup of the back of the duet -- you can see the LEDs and I'm wondering if they are there or not on the final version of the Radio (it looks like it is the same ethernet connection on the back of the radio as the duet -- but hard to tell in that one back shot available):

http://blog.tmcnet.com/blog/tom-keat...-backpanel.jpg
    Last edited by eap; 2009-09-24 at 07:14.

There are no LEDs on my SB3, Touch or Boom so I think Duet is the exception.

Quote Originally Posted by bpa View Post
    There are no LEDs on my SB3, Touch or Boom so I think Duet is the exception.
    Cool -- I hope you're right. Any logitech engineers out there? Post a closeup of the ethernet connection on the back of the radio please.

Anyone Run The Radio Wired ? Lights inBack?

On Sep 24, 2009, at 10:28 AM, eap wrote:

>
    > bpa;460978 Wrote:
    >> There are no LEDs on my SB3, Touch or Boom so I think Duet is the
    >> exception.

>
    > Cool -- I hope you're right. Any logitech engineers out there?
    > Post a
    > closeup of the ethernet connection on the back of the radio please.

There are no LEDs, why don't you believe him?

Photo of the back.

Hint: There's a lot of things you can fix with duct tape. Ethernet lights on the receiver (or any other unit) is one of those...
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch