Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Can't play WMA files, tried everything

The files play fine when I run them through mplayer directly on the command line.

But when I try to play them via my Squeezebox 3, I get nothing -- no sound, no errors in the log. The Squeezebox display shows each song title for a second, then moves on to the next.

I have tried the ffmpeg and the mplayer convert.conf lines recommended in the wiki at
    http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/WMA

I've tried installing the latest version of AlienBBC, and I've tried uninstalling it.

I'm running SC 7.3 on Debian Etch.

Any suggestions?

Quote Originally Posted by eater View Post
    The files play fine when I run them through mplayer directly on the command line.

But when I try to play them via my Squeezebox 3, I get nothing -- no sound, no errors in the log. The Squeezebox display shows each song title for a second, then moves on to the next.

I have tried the ffmpeg and the mplayer convert.conf lines recommended in the wiki at
    http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/WMA

I've tried installing the latest version of AlienBBC, and I've tried uninstalling it.

I'm running SC 7.3 on Debian Etch.

Any suggestions?
    Not sure if it covers this (probably not, different distros), but in Ubuntu I learned to make sure I have installed "restricted extras" before I go install what is now SBS.
    ...pablo
    Server: Virtual Machine (on VMware Workstation 14 Pro) running Ubuntu 18.04 + LMS 7.9.1
    System: SB Touch -optical-> Benchmark DAC2HGC -AnalysisPlus Oval Copper XLR-> NAD M22 Power Amp -AnalysisPlus Black Mesh Oval-> KEF Reference 1
    Other Rooms: 2x SB Boom; 1x SB Radio; 1x SB Classic-> NAD D7050 -> Totem DreamCatcher + Velodyne Minivee Sub
    Computer audio: workstation -USB-> audioengine D1 -> Grado RS1/Shure 1540

WMA files should play natively on the SB3 so you should get a log with player.source and formats.audio set to DEBUG.

Are you using bit rate limiting ?
    Are you trying to sync with a player which does not support WMA natively ?

AlienBBC support for WMA on SB3 players will be used if you disabled the Windows media "Native" setting in WebUI Settings/Advanced/Filetypes and so force SC to use transcoding and mplayer.