Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 28
  1. #1
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    438

    Why do we need to chose SqueezeCenter/SqueezeNetwork?

    This has got to be the most confusing option for non techies, I mean, why do we need to choose SqueezeCenter or SqueezeNetwork as a music source?

    Can we not have this done seamlessly, eg when I turn on my SB player, if a SC is found then I get an extra option 'My Music Library'
    Last edited by dave77; 2009-09-21 at 06:35.

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Coeur d'Alene
    Posts
    201
    Quote Originally Posted by dave77 View Post
    This has got to be the most confusing option for non techies, I mean, why do we need to chose SqueezeCenter or SqueezeNetwork as a music source?

    Can we not have this done seamlessly, eg when I turn on my SB player, if a SC is found then I get an extra option 'My Music Library'
    This scenario wouldn't play nicely when your Internet access is down. I actually sometimes use my music server and SBs in places with no Internet access at all, so I rather like that it can be done completely offline.

    On the other hand, the devices could perhaps be set up to connect to one but to fall back automatically to the other.

  3. #3
    Senior Member aubuti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    8,825
    Quote Originally Posted by dave77 View Post
    Can we not have this done seamlessly, eg when I turn on my SB player, if a SC is found then I get an extra option 'My Music Library'
    That is exactly the direction things are going with 7.4. It's not perfectly seamless, but it's a lot closer. You might want to give 7.4 a try -- it's in pretty good shape right now.

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    177
    Can Favorite Presets be synced from SC to SN? That would make alot of sense as long as they were not local favorites.

  5. #5
    Senior Member aubuti's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    8,825
    Quote Originally Posted by vw195 View Post
    Can Favorite Presets be synced from SC to SN? That would make alot of sense as long as they were not local favorites.
    No, I don't think so.

  6. #6
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by aubuti View Post
    That is exactly the direction things are going with 7.4. It's not perfectly seamless, but it's a lot closer. You might want to give 7.4 a try -- it's in pretty good shape right now.
    Cheers, I'll take a look at it.

  7. #7
    Senior Member Nonreality's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Clarkston, Wa USA
    Posts
    2,032
    I don't understand the confusion what so ever. Really read up a bit and it all makes sense. Get over it.
    If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use is the rule.

    HTTP://www.last.fm/user/nonreality

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    UK/London
    Posts
    2,183
    See the videos linked to in the thread referred to below to see how it can be confusing to new users.

    He was trying to do something a bit more sophisticated - but I dud feel a bit sorry for him during the first one.

    I started by reading up and trying Slimserver before I bought my first Squeezebox but I expect that most new users do not do that.

    http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=62838
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author Radio France (FIP etc) plugin

  9. #9
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    210
    I completely agree. If Logitech are aiming Squeezeboxes in their various guises at the mass market, then things have to be a lot more intuitive. The SqueezeCenter / SqueezeNetwork point is a prime (and to be fair, probably the biggest) example. It's fine for those of us who have been around a while and have had these concepts grow up around us, but a new customer shouldn't have to read up to understand the difference, it should either be obvious functionality or seamless.

  10. #10
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Leeds, UK
    Posts
    438
    Quote Originally Posted by eq72521 View Post
    This scenario wouldn't play nicely when your Internet access is down. I actually sometimes use my music server and SBs in places with no Internet access at all, so I rather like that it can be done completely offline.

    On the other hand, the devices could perhaps be set up to connect to one but to fall back automatically to the other.
    Exactly, if SC is on then 'My Music Library' is shown, if Internet is on then 'Internet Radio' is shown.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •