Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Feedback/ideas wanted for daylight screen saver

I'm working on a clock screen saver for the Touch, Radio and Controller which will show a "daylight map" of the earth in the background. I have to make sure I'm allowed to use the images before actually releasing something but until then I'd like some feedback based on the screen shots below. The highest image is for Controller the widest is for the Touch and the middle is for Radio.

Please comment on things like:
    - The layout on the different Squeezebox devices, would you like to place something differently ?
    - Would you like to see any more information on the screen ? In that chase what and where would you like it placed ?
    - Would it be preferred to rotate the map on the Controller to improve the layout ?
    - Would it be preferred to have a larger time font and instead overlay it on top of the background image ?
    - Is the map with or without clouds preferred ?
    (the clouds are updated every 3'rd hour, so they are not completely useless)
    - Are the other projections available of interest ?
    http://www.die.net/earth/peters.html
    http://www.die.net/earth/mollweide.html
    http://www.die.net/earth/rectangular.html
    http://www.die.net/earth/hemisphere.html
    - Are there any other freely available dynamically updated maps available somewhere which you would prefer to use instead of those provided by http://www.die.net/earth ?
    - Would you prefer to just see a sub section and not the complete earth map, for example a map with only Europe or only North America ?
    - Any other ideas ?
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    Developer of many plugins/applets

I really like the look of them Erland.

Controller: I say leave it in that orientation. Nothing else about the controller has it on it's side, and it's not like you can charge it like that either.

Could you have a setting for clouds?

A thought that I had was to effectively extend the Antarctic down and have the time/text in black on a white background. Also, where you have lots of room, like on Controller and Touch, could you have sunrise and sunset times as well?

[Project Log] Funkstars Digital Lifestyle - HEXUS.Community

In use: 1x Touch, 1x Boom, 2x SB3, 1x Controller
    In a box: 1x Radio, 1x (Beta) Controller, 1x Receiver, 1x SB2 wired (silver), 1x SB (black), 1x SliMP3 (with rear shield)

If you have any others, let me know, I'm interested!!

Very nice

It looks very nice.
    I definately prefer the one with "real time" clouds.

If you included the date with the time, I could definately see it replace my current screensaver, which is the digital clock.
    BR Mogens

2 Radios (1 battery), 2 Controllers, 2 Receivers, SqueezeCommander, OrangeSqueeze and SqueezePlayer on Samsung Galaxy Nexus.

Touch

Can the date be specific to a unit? I think including the date on the Touch would work well as their is plenty or room, but think it would be better to leave it off of Radio and Controller.

Nice work by the way!
    iPhone
    Media Room:
    ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
    Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
    Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
    Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
    Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
    Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
    Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
    Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

Erland, this is great. I would prefer an on/off option for the clouds, but if that's not possible then I would go for with the image with clouds. Just having the time is fine -- I definitely would not want the date. SBC in its natural "portrait" format doesn't look so good, but I think turning the image sideways would look worse, so I suggest leaving it as you have it here. No real interest in seeing a subset of the earth.

Those look great

I would like just the time--no date. The controller image is too small so I think it should be scrollable with about half the world visible. I like the clouds but would like to turn them off sometimes. BTW here is another world clock which shows the moon, sunrise and sunset. I use it as a screen saver and never get tired of it.
    http://www.mapmaker.com/shadowfacts/v65/index.htm

George

Feedback/ideas wanted for daylightscreen saver

Looks cool!

Feedback/ideas wanted for daylightscreen saver

>- Any other ideas ?

Show the alarm time/indicator?
    Show the current moon phase as a small icon?

Scroll the now-playing song title around the world in geo synchronous orbit ;-)

Logitech Harmony Employee Keymaster's Avatar
    Erland, this seems amazing! I can't wait for it to come out!

Having just checked out the die.net site, I find this more and more cool.

Being eurpean, i prefer the rectangular projection or perhaps the hemisphere one. If posible just the dawn on the controller?

I also like the moon phase picture. If you deicde to really go nuts with this, you could perhaps make it so that during the night (user defined) the moon is shown, and during the day, the earth.

Anyway, I think this screensaver will be really cool. And I guess the owner of the site wont mind you using the images, since he encourages us to add them as google gadgets.
    BR Mogens

2 Radios (1 battery), 2 Controllers, 2 Receivers, SqueezeCommander, OrangeSqueeze and SqueezePlayer on Samsung Galaxy Nexus.