Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Problem with 7.3.3 SC setup - SN account...

well, a problem.

for some reason, SC setup will not accept my SqueezeNetwork user name and account, which means that in turn I can not access Eudora etc...

It is bizarre because
    (a) I can reach SN and log in with the information I provide
    (b) Same for Pandora

The problem is that SC seems to hang and never accept the SN configuration information...
    ...pablo
    Server: Virtual Machine (on VMware Workstation 14 Pro) running Ubuntu 18.04 + LMS 7.9.1
    System: SB Touch -optical-> Benchmark DAC2HGC -AnalysisPlus Oval Copper XLR-> NAD M22 Power Amp -AnalysisPlus Black Mesh Oval-> KEF Reference 1
    Other Rooms: 2x SB Boom; 1x SB Radio; 1x SB Classic-> NAD D7050 -> Totem DreamCatcher + Velodyne Minivee Sub
    Computer audio: workstation -USB-> audioengine D1 -> Grado RS1/Shure 1540

I had this problem out of nowhere a few weeks ago. Found several other discussions on this forum with same issue. For me and some others, updating SC to 7.3.4 (NOT 7.4) solved the problem.

For what it is worth, a good old fashioned re-install solved my issue.

It may be that in Ubuntu SC does not like it when one makes a change in network manager (I changed my standard eth0 connection from DHCP to static IP address)?
    ...pablo
    Server: Virtual Machine (on VMware Workstation 14 Pro) running Ubuntu 18.04 + LMS 7.9.1
    System: SB Touch -optical-> Benchmark DAC2HGC -AnalysisPlus Oval Copper XLR-> NAD M22 Power Amp -AnalysisPlus Black Mesh Oval-> KEF Reference 1
    Other Rooms: 2x SB Boom; 1x SB Radio; 1x SB Classic-> NAD D7050 -> Totem DreamCatcher + Velodyne Minivee Sub

and after a restart here is the same issue again. very very irritating.
    ...pablo

Did you notice if your Radios menu **in SC, not SN ** is populated or not, when SN login fails ?
    If the radios menu is gone in the local web interface, then the cause could well be the name resolution issue in 7.3.3 (and later ?).
    I sorta fixed it (it seems to work, I am not 100% confident) by moving the start of SC to the very end of the services startup sequence. The idea is to buy enough time to get the network connection to settle hence keeping SC happy.

On one xubuntu 8.10 machine, I have in /etc/rc2.d/: S20squeezecenter and S28NetworkManager. I don't use the freaking network manager. This machine has the DNS resolution problem.
    On one other debian machine I have renamed S20squeezecenter to S90squeezecenter, and it seemed to work.

(tweaking now the ubuntu machine, while I am at it)

thanks for the pointer - indeed it seems that SC starts before all neterwork services are available and never quite recovers from it. explains that "squeezenetwork can not be resolved" message.

going
    sudo /etc/init.d/squeezecenter stop
    and then
    sudo /etc/init.d/squeezecenter start
    in the command window as network services have become available makes this work again.

so thanks again - you are right.

the question is - is this a network manager issue, or a squeezecenter issue? perhaps i should replace network manager with wicd (i think that is the widespread alternative?)
    ...pablo

This is an SC issue. SC 7.3.2 was free of it.
    On my server machines, I use static IPs, I don't know what wicd is, I hate the guts of NetworkManager and disable or uninstall it. My config is pretty stable and usually I have a DNS embedded in the machine, (which starts early.)
    With this environment SC 7.3.2 was working, 7.3.3 not. This, on more than one machine.

My (hopefully) fix is to start SC later (a major improvement over restarting it...)
    I've read reports of success using wicd, but if you can simply rename the symlink in /etc/rc2.d and get rid of the issue, then I guess this is a more innocuous change.
    Since the bug is embarrassing enough, I expect it will be squashed in 7.3.4

Quote Originally Posted by epoch1970 View Post
    Since the bug is embarrassing enough, I expect it will be squashed in 7.3.4
    I'm pretty sure it is already fixed in 7.3.4 for most flavours of Linux though some are still having problems with 7.4 nightlies.

This thread has more info, assuming it's the same issue - http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...ight=dns+linux
    Who am I on LAST.FM?
    "Siduhe Loved Tracks radio got the thumbs up. Feedback included: yeah, it's good... got the odd dodgy track tho..." (c) ModelCitizen