Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Line out available

Is there a chance to get line out via headphone jack pretty much like the boom offers?

Isn't that link answering a different question? The specs say the Radio has a 3.5 mm stereo headphone jack. But what you can't get is one channel out of the built-in speakers and the other out of the headphone jack. I think

Edit: Hey! Where did Mark's post go?

Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveEast View Post
    Isn't that link answering a different question? The specs say the Radio has a 3.5 mm stereo headphone jack. But what you can't get is one channel out of the built-in speakers and the other out of the headphone jack. I think
    Right you are. You can get stereo out of the headphone out, as expected.

You just can't get one channel out of Radio's speakers, and another through headphone out, because there's already a fair bit of work going on - the CPU is mixing stereo to mono, then applying a crossover and sending the treble to the tweeter and the rest to the woofer. It can't also split the channels into two, one through the speakers and one through the line out.

Edit: Hey! Where did Mark's post go?
    Deleted because it wasn't accurate. Also because I'm ashamed to admit I don't know what the difference is between line out and headphone out <blush>, or if it applies to Radio. I'm not sure if the Radio has or doesn't have a headphone amplifier. I'm pretty sure it won't support IR out/Geekport and I don't believe there are any plans to do any sort of audio filtering out of the headphone port, so that tends to lead to a nicer line out.
    Current: SB2, Boom (PQP3 - late beta, PQP1 - early beta), SBC (early beta), Squeezebox Radio (PB1 - early beta), Squeezebox Touch (late beta)
    Selling: Transporter
    Sold: SB3, Duet

Since it's a headphone output I assume it has to have an amplifier. A line output would be a much lower level since it goes into an external amplifier or powered speakers.

Steve.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveEast View Post
    Since it's a headphone output I assume it has to have an amplifier.
    Probably right. Boom has a dedicated, complex DSP to decide what to do, Radio doesn't, although some DSP functions are accomplished in the CPU.
    Current: SB2, Boom (PQP3 - late beta, PQP1 - early beta), SBC (early beta), Squeezebox Radio (PB1 - early beta), Squeezebox Touch (late beta)
    Selling: Transporter
    Sold: SB3, Duet