Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

TinySC / USB / SMB access

Nice announcement with the touch and radio, something I've been looking forward to. Now I've got a couple of questions:

1. With USB thumb-drives working and the device apparently indexing the library and serving other players will it be possible to stream music from a SMB share to different players? I think it wouldn't be much of a problem to add this and with this no dedicated server or computer is needed. Mainstream here comes Squeezebox. I might even convince my friends to get one as they are not as fond of the idea of having a server running :-)

2. Is line in transporting to other devices supported? I know this is somehow hinted at on the radio page: I quote: "Do you want to listen to your iPod tunes in any room?"

Rock on

Alex
    Location 1: Scaleo Home Server with LightsOut - 2*Boom - Duet - Radio - Squeezebox Server 7.4.1 - LightsOut Plugin 0.2
    Location 2: Scaleo Home Server - Boom - Duet - Squeezebox Server 7.3.3

Music libraries synced over 500km with Microsoft Live Mesh beta

Quote Originally Posted by psixilambda View Post
    1. With USB thumb-drives working and the device apparently indexing the library and serving other players will it be possible to stream music from a SMB share to different players? I think it wouldn't be much of a problem to add this and with this no dedicated server or computer is needed. Mainstream here comes Squeezebox. I might even convince my friends to get one as they are not as fond of the idea of having a server running :-)
    Unknown at this point, TinySC is still a work in progress.

2. Is line in transporting to other devices supported? I know this is somehow hinted at on the radio page: I quote: "Do you want to listen to your iPod tunes in any room?"
    Touch doesn't have a line in, and Radio doesn't run TinySC, so no. They probably meant that Radio can be transported to any room, and that you can plug an iPod into its line in.
    Current: SB2, Boom (PQP3 - late beta, PQP1 - early beta), SBC (early beta), Squeezebox Radio (PB1 - early beta), Squeezebox Touch (late beta)
    Selling: Transporter
    Sold: SB3, Duet

NOT a Slim Devices Employee kdf's Avatar

TinySC / USB / SMB access

>
    > Nice announcement with the touch and radio, something I've been looking
    > forward to. Now I've got a couple of questions:
    >
    > 1. With USB thumb-drives working and the device apparently indexing the
    > library and serving other players will it be possible to stream music
    > from a SMB share to different players?

SMB is supported mainly for the purposes of adding new music. I've played
    back files via the share before. I wouldn't want to speculate on the
    effects of long-term streaming on the performance of the device, nor how
    many player will access the files without causing lag. The support is
    still relatively new, so there may be optimisations to come.

>
    > 2. Is line in transporting to other devices supported? I know this is
    > somehow hinted at on the radio page: I quote: "Do you want to listen to
    > your iPod tunes in any room?"

I believe that hint is more a case of being able to connect via usb and
    share any files read from the device, rather than an analog line in and
    streaming feature.

-k

Nice announcement with the touch and radio, something I've been looking forward to. Now I've got a couple of questions:

I can play the songs from the USB drive plugged in Touch on other Squeezeboxes. I am doing that now with only a Touch, Wifi router, Boom, and USB drive. No PC anywhere to be seen.
    The line-in is local to the Squeezebox Radio. Touch doesn't have Line-in. I believe this means plug the iPod into the back of the Squeezebox Radio and listen to the iPod in any room one places the Squeezebox Radio with the iPod plugged into it. Boom also has line-in, makes sense on a device that has its own amp and speakers.
    iPhone
    Media Room:
    ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

Living Room:
    Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
    Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
    Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
    Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
    Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
    Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
    Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

Is there a NAS out there that allows access via network and as a USB drive (at the same time) in which case this would be a good candidate for connecting to a touch? I.e. update music over the network to the NAS while PC is running, and switch off pc later.

edit: Seems you don't even need this. The Touch seems to be able to share the USB drive on the network.
    Last edited by lrossouw; 2009-09-03 at 19:16.
    Louis
    Last.fm