Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Help/Sad - SB3 just "bricked"

Hi All,

Sad day for me last week. One of my beloved SB3's just died. Last week I held on support phone line for an hour before a guy came on the line and told me it was a very busy support day and he'd take my number for a call back. No one ever called back. I am on the line again now listening to the techno/ambient hold music. I fear my player is out of the support period anyway. (The support period is one year?)

If the player is out of warranty, is there a way I can send this back for a paid repair? (can I beg for a sympathy credit?

(talking to a support rep now)

-Dan "Long Time SlimDevices Supporter/Evangelist" Carwin

The Logitech warranty is "your Logitech hardware product shall be free from defects in material and workmanship for two (2) years, beginning from the date of purchase." I believe this is worldwide, but it may depend where you purchased it (as local law requirements are different the world over)

It gets more complicated when you've purchased it from from a third party vendor, who normally only refund or exchange for one year, but the manufacturer warranty should still be valid for an additional 12 months.

Slim Devices (i.e. the division of Logitech based in the US) used to do out of warranty repairs for a $90 fee or similar, but not clear if this is still offered - others outside the US have reportedly been told by Logitech that repairs are not available. Let us know how you get on with support and others may be able to advise you.
    Who am I on LAST.FM?
    "Siduhe Loved Tracks radio got the thumbs up. Feedback included: yeah, it's good... got the odd dodgy track tho..." (c) ModelCitizen

Quote Originally Posted by dwc View Post
    Hi All,

Sad day for me last week. One of my beloved SB3's just died. Last week I held on support phone line for an hour before a guy came on the line and told me it was a very busy support day and he'd take my number for a call back. No one ever called back. I am on the line again now listening to the techno/ambient hold music. I fear my player is out of the support period anyway. (The support period is one year?)

If the player is out of warranty, is there a way I can send this back for a paid repair? (can I beg for a sympathy credit?

(talking to a support rep now)

-Dan "Long Time SlimDevices Supporter/Evangelist" Carwin
    How bricked ? xilink reset or factory reset did not help ?
    Mine been completely knackered after an upgrade no working display etc one of these resets fixed it
    --------------------------------------------------------------------
    Main hifi: Rasbery PI digi+ MeridianG68J MeridianHD621 MeridianG98DH 2 x MeridianDSP5200 MeridianDSP5200HC 2 xMeridianDSP3100 +Rel Stadium 3 sub.
    Bedroom/Office: Boom
    Loggia: Raspi hifiberry dac + Adams
    Bathroom : Radio (with battery)
    iPad with iPengHD & SqueezePad
    (spares Touch, SB3, reciever ,controller )
    server Intel NUC Esxi VM Linux mint 18 LMS 7.9.2

http://people.xiph.org/~xiphmont/demo/neil-young.html

Thanks Siduhe,

Got escalated and spoke to second rep. Unfortunately the SB3's with the "Slimdevices" Logo (as opposed to the Logitech Logo) are not eligible for repair - even paid repair - at this point. The rep said the parts are not in inventory. [This is curious to me as the Classic sure looks like an SB3, but I guess they have changed internal parts...(?)]

So I cannot pay the $90 for a fix. I was offered a discount on a new purchase, pending my sending the dead unit back in. So the idea is that I send this SB3 back in with the RMA they emailed me, and then a sales rep will call me up and give me some kind of discount towards my next purchase.

The support rep didn't have all the details on the discount offer, so I will update this thread after I have sent the unit in and spoken to the rep who should call me shortly thereafter.

-Dan

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    How bricked ? xilink reset or factory reset did not help ?
    Mine been completely knackered after an upgrade no working display etc one of these resets fixed it
    Bricked in the sense that I get no display and Slimserver doesn't see the SB3 on power up.

Reset (holding + button) has no effect. I cross checked power supplies with my other SB# and the power supply is OK.

I wasn't familiar with Xilink reset (holding 1 button) until now, but I tried that too. Thanks for the suggestion.

FYI for others: here's the doc on resets:
    http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph...Reset_commands

In the past I had a "display only" issue where the display died but the SB3 still showed up on the network. SD fixed that for me. In this case the SB3 seems completely non-functional, the only sign of life being the red light peeking out the back of the optical socket.

In the good ole days there would be a post from Sean telling you how to fix it yourself.

After you fixed it we'd all chime in and say how awesome it is that the founder will post repair instructions on the forum.

Aaah, the good ole days...

This also causes me some concern as I have 2 SD SB3s and my parents have another one.

You might try opening up and removing the wireless card. I recall seeing other threads where that allowed the SB3 to work (although if you need to run wireless, that's not much good!)

Yeah, other threads have gone through this before. Many seem to have had their power brick pack up. Try testing the output from the power brick. You could search for the specs in the forum they're there several times and I don't recall them.

HTH,

SS

what about remaining sb3's?

One weird disconnect between what the support rep said about not being able to repair my SB3 because there are not parts left is that Logitech is still selling (and thus still supporting) the last of the SlimDevice-logo'ed SB3's:

https://secure.slimdevices.com/produ...ezebox-Classic

Thanks for the suggestions.

Not sure if wireless card removal is going to be a reversible operation, but I can go in and take a look if I can find my torx bits. I'd hate to nuke my chance at repair. On my RMA printout I have asked the folks to repair if possible...

I did check the power supply, and it's OK. (My other SB3 runs fine on it)

-Dan