Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

How to use squeezeplay or softsqueeze

I've got lots of flavors of hardware SqueezeBoxen, so I have never had much need for things like SqueezePlay. But I decided it would be fun to try it on my laptop.

I do *not* want to install SqueezeCenter on the laptop, I have a very nice SqueezeCenter box in the basement.

I just want a player on my Ubuntu laptop, using whatever audio the laptop has.

I see a .deb to download in the 7.3 area, and I downloaded it and installed it. But I have no idea what to do next.

I don't see any installation instructions in the wiki (which is very self referential on the topic of squeezeplay) and I don't see any basic usage instructions either.

The .deb file does not seem to install any shortcuts or icons to start the software.

How do I use this thing?

Thanks
    pat

I've wondered the same thing for Windows. I gave up.

For Windows XP:

Here's what I just did, it seemed to work

"Soft Squeeze" is a menu choice under "Extras" in SC classic view. Click on that.

Next frame has a line that says "Click here to install and run Soft Squeeze". Click that

A confirmation comes up - click Yes

After a very short time (a few seconds), an image of a transporter appeared on the screen, and the player "Soft Squeeze" became a choice on the SC web UI, along with the hardware SBs I have. Also, Soft Squeeze was added as a program choice on the program menu, under Squeeze Center

I think that's all there is to it, unless it was there but not running - I didn't try it. I'd done it before a while ago, it worked fine, so just now I didn't bother to double check.

Quote Originally Posted by Goodsounds View Post
    "Soft Squeeze" is a menu choice under "Extras" in SC classic view. Click on that.
    I don't see any option with such a name, or anything like it. On either the default or "Classic" skin.

I'm currently running the beta version, Version: 7.4 - r28304 and just don't see it.

In case I wasn't clear, when I wrote "whatever audio the laptop has."
    I meant play the audio from the SqueezeCenter on whatever audio hardware the laptop has.

Hi can confirm the location of the SoftSqueeze as described.

Possibly 7.4 has (re)moved it?

You can go here: http://softsqueeze.sourceforge.net/

Cheers
    Louis
    PS you need some form of java.
    Last edited by lrossouw; 2009-08-30 at 20:18.
    Louis
    Last.fm

How to use squeezeplay or softsqueeze

lrossouw wrote:
    > Hi can confirm the location of the SoftSqueeze as described.
    > You can go here: http://softsqueeze.sourceforge.net/

I think softsqueeze is deprecated and squeezeplay is the current cool
    thing. But, without any installation or usage documentation, its a bit
    hard to tell. Let alone hard to use.

--
    Pat Farrell
    http://www.pfarrell.com/

Quote Originally Posted by pfarrell View Post
    I see a .deb to download in the 7.3 area, and I downloaded it and installed it. But I have no idea what to do next.

I don't see any installation instructions in the wiki (which is very self referential on the topic of squeezeplay) and I don't see any basic usage instructions either.

The .deb file does not seem to install any shortcuts or icons to start the software.

How do I use this thing?
    I suspect this is half finished work, I haven't installed the deb package myself but when I extracted it in a empty directory it feels like it just install the binaries and not any shortcuts. It also seems like it doesn't even setup the correct paths so you can run it easily.

Try to run it from a terminal prompt as:
    /opt/squeezeplay/bin/jive

if that doesn't work, you might have to use:
    LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/squeezeplay/lib /opt/squeezeplay/bin/jive

Quote Originally Posted by pfarrell
    I think softsqueeze is deprecated and squeezeplay is the current cool
    thing. But, without any installation or usage documentation, its a bit
    hard to tell. Let alone hard to use.
    Correct, SoftSqueeze is deprecated and it's menu isn't even included in SqueezeCenter 7.4 and later. As I've understood it, some third party developers plan to release it through Extension Downloader ini 7.4, in the same way as all other third party plugins are handled.
    Erland Isaksson (My homepage)
    Developer of many plugins/applets

Softsqueeze has been removed from 7.4. There is 3.9 beta version which is available as an extension Downloader plugin. This will become an "approved" plug in the repository. The plugin needs to be installed on the SC's PC see http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=62060. Do not use the zip file as changes in SC naming and libraries have broken that zip. The plugin from my repository should still work.

Softsqueeze when accessed from SC Web page will be downloaded and run in the PC accessing the SC's web page. This PC can be different to the SC hosting PC.

There are still a few bugs with 3.9 associated with 7.3/7.4 (e.g. sync issues with non MP3 streams) I was hoping to fix before 7.4 was released but it may have to be released as is.

Another option - squeezeslave

There is no fancy GUI, but you could try running squeezeslave on your laptop and use the WebUI to control it.

Not as fancy as using SoftSqueeze, but it works well and may be less grief to get going.

I use it on my Open SuSE server, which runs my SC, and I've used it running SuSE and Vista on my laptop.
    Rich
    ---------
    Setup: 2 SB3s, 4 Booms, 1 Duet, 1 Receiver, 1 Touch, iPeng on iPod Touch, SqueezeCommander, OrangeSqueeze, and SqueezePlayer on Xoom and Galaxy Player 4.2. CentOS 6.3 Server running LogitechMediaServer 7.7.2 and SqueezeSlave.
    Current library stats: 40,810 songs, 3,153 albums, 582 artists.
    http://www.last.fm/user/maggior