Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Angry Duplicates in music library

My library contains lots and lots of duplicates of music. I generally browse my library via Artist and so far so good. When I look under an artist most of them have every album listed twice, some albums are only listed once but they have every song listed twice instead.

Any ideas?

Problem remains no matter what version of SqueezeCenter I run. Currenty I runt the beta version.

I have nuked my library several times and made a complete rescan - still the same.

What should I do? I was thinking that the playlist residing in every album folder might be the cause, that the folder is added once and the playlist adds the copy, but that is just a theory.

Apart from that I am pretty much super satisfied with my setup: ReadyNas DUO + Boombox + Duet with remote.

Help needed!

Quote Originally Posted by pean View Post
    What should I do? I was thinking that the playlist residing in every album folder might be the cause, that the folder is added once and the playlist adds the copy, but that is just a theory.
    That's almost certainly the case. What's probably happening is that the path in the playlist is different to the path SC is seeing the file under, so it think's they're different files (although in reality they're the same). Easiest thing to do is delete the playlists, as SC doesn't need them.

Sound likely. Don't want to delete anything from well organized library if I'm not certain though...

Well it's easy to test without deleting anything. What format are the playlists (.m3u, .pls?). Work that out and then go to Server Settings/File Types/Disabled Playlist Extensions and enter the same extensions as your playlists. Apply the setting and then do a rescan.

If you no longer have duplicates, the problem is with the playlists.

To fix it, there are a few options - see here for example. If you have anything that runs Windows, I have a script that can automate the process of updating your playlists for you, but it's pretty easy to find and replace otherwise.

http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...light=playlist

Just remember to remove the disabled playlist extensions from Settings when you are done.
    Who am I on LAST.FM?
    "Siduhe Loved Tracks radio got the thumbs up. Feedback included: yeah, it's good... got the odd dodgy track tho..." (c) ModelCitizen

Thanks Siduhe. I got really frustrated and moved all my playlist files and doing a whole rescan now. Added the exceptions you mentioned anyway for new albums coming in.

If I'm feeling really bored I might move all the files back into the directories, it's just 1500 files..

First we'll see how this rescan works, a complete rescan takes about 3 hours or more on my ReadyNas Duo and about 12000 songs.