Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

VortexBox - a couple simple (?) questions

My NAS knowledge is extremely rudimentary, so I'm thinking that something like the VortexBox Appliance may be a good way to go. I'd really appreciate if someone could help me understand a couple things:
    1. On my current Windows machine, I'm sharing my iTunes folder with SqueezeCenter via an iTunes folder shortcut in the Music Folder directory. Is such a thing possible with the VortexBox Appliance, or do I need to move everything over to the VortexBox Appliance? I'd prefer not to have to maintain duplicate directories.
    2. I'm currently using a SB3 and a Duet. After I got the VortexBox Appliance set up, would I need to basically install them again?

Many thanks,
    Brian

The vortexbox will work like a NAS. What you will have to do is move your iTunes music folder to the vortexbox, and then tell iTunes the new location of the music folder.

I would look on the squeezebox wiki about this.

Quote Originally Posted by bjones10 View Post
    2. I'm currently using a SB3 and a Duet. After I got the VortexBox Appliance set up, would I need to basically install them again?
    I'll have a go at question 2.

Once you have your Vortexbox up and running, you would tell your SB3 and Duet to connect to this instead of your old server.

On the SB3 this is done by holding down the left arrow key, then scrolling down, until you see the option saying connect to Vortexbox, then press the right arrow key to connect to it. I assume connecting using the Duet would be done the same way.

Once connected to the Vortexbox your SB3 and Duet would probably need a Firmware upgrade, this is very simple. They will prompt you to hold down the Brightness key, just do this and then the whole process will be done for you.

The only other thing is that all the settings for each player would be back to default, so if you have changed any settings you will want to set these again on the new server.

Richard E.

Thanks to you both!

Thanks ... much appreciated.

If you are permanently moving to a new server, you may want to do a factory reset of the SB3....which is easy to do. Just press and hold the "+" button on the IR remote right after you've plugged in the SB3's power.

Absent the factory reset, you may find that wake-on-lan doesn't work...i.e. you won't be able to wake up your vortex box appliance using the SB3.