Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

7.3.3 not playing AAC on Solaris

I have a few AAC tracks in my collection and with the upgrade to 7.3.3 they don't play. I've been using mplayer and flac to do the decoding and it's worked fine until I upgraded.

In file types in SC everything for AAC is disabled and cannot be changed.

Here's my custom-convert.conf:

Code:
    mov mp3 * *
            # FRB:{BITRATE=-B %B}
            [mplayer] -novideo -ao pcm:file=/dev/fd/4 $FILE$ 4>&1 1>/dev/null | [lame] --resample 44100 --silent -q $QUALITY$  $RESAMPLE$-v $BITRATE$ -x -r --big-endian - -

alc mp3 * *
            # FB:{BITRATE=-B %B}D:{RESAMPLE=--resample %D}
            [mplayer] -novideo -ao pcm:file=/dev/fd/4 $FILE$ 4>&1 1>/dev/null | [lame] --silent -q $QUALITY$ $RESAMPLE$ -v $BITRATE$ - -

mov flc * *
            # FR
            [mplayer] -novideo -ao pcm:file=/dev/fd/4 $FILE$ 4>&1 1>/dev/null | [flac] -cs --totally-silent --compression-level-0 --endian big --sign signed --channels 2 --bps 16 --sample-rate 44100 -

alc flc * *
            # F
            [mplayer] -novideo -ao pcm:file=/dev/fd/4 $FILE$ 4>&1 1>/dev/null | [flac] -cs --totally-silent --compression-level-0 --endian big --sign signed --channels 2 --bps 16 --sample-rate 44100 -
    This all worked in 7.3.2, so I suspect something in the new AAC support in 7.3.3 has broken this for me. All of the settings for Apple Lossless have been unaffected.

Any ideas?

"AAC" files have now 2 types in the convert.conf file: MP4 and AAC depending on whether the content is AAC or MPEG4 as the file extension is not always correct.

Thanks, bpa. I won't have a chance to look at this again until friday, but at least I know what to do. If that doesn't work I'll add to this thread.

If you get "faad" for Solaris then 7.3.3 will work "out of the box" as SC 7.3.3 is setup to use "faad" to handle AAC files.

The Squeezebox faad (bundled in for Linux x86, Windows and OSX) has a few patches (e.g. to handle aacplus streams) - so if you can build your own faad with the Squeezebox patches - it will be a better solution than mplayer.

I looked into faad in the past and it looked like a real PITA to get rolling on Solaris, and quite frankly, I have probably less than 10 aac/mp4s in my collection so mplayer will work for me.

Adding mp4 in my custom-convert.conf did the trick.