Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Thread: No play

No play

My SB3 works fine just as it always has but when I select a tune to play and hit the play button nothing happens. I've reset the SB3 to factory settings and went through inputting all the numbers needed to connect to my PC. No problem doing that but as I said when I hit play nothing happens.

I even did a PC restore to an earlier date when the SB3 was okay. No luck. Same problem.

Anybody got a clue as to what's wrong?

Thanks
    Charlie

Navigate to the server.log file (there is a path to this file in Server Settings/Information) and open it up - when you try to play a track, are there any error messages?

Also, some more info about your setup would be good - what version of Squeezecenter, what format files, local files or music services like Napster etc.
    Who am I on LAST.FM?
    "Siduhe Loved Tracks radio got the thumbs up. Feedback included: yeah, it's good... got the odd dodgy track tho..." (c) ModelCitizen

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Calkins View Post
    My SB3 works fine just as it always has but when I select a tune to play and hit the play button nothing happens.
    Pardon a really silly question here but how do you select a tune? With the remote? from the squeezecenter webpage? A bit more info might help to solve your problem.

Can't find the server.log file. Would it be in the SB3 settings page?

I select a tune by the remote. My tunes are in itunes library. Only one I've ever used.

7.3-24695 is the version I'm using

Are you running 7.3.2 (release version) or 7.3.3. (beta)?

The server.log file will be located differently depending on what OS you are running and how SC is installed. The Server Settings/Information tab should show you the path of the server.log file - open up the web interface, click settings and click the information tab - now scroll down and look for something like:

Squeezebox Server Log File
    Squeezebox Server keeps a log file for all application related activities (Audio Streaming, Infrared, etc) here:
    C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\SqueezeCenter\Logs\server.log (100, 500, 1000 lines)

In windows the server.log file is often located in a hidden directory, so you need to unhide such directories first.

It may well be that your antivirus or similar has updated and is now blocking SC's access to your itunes.xml file (or the file itself could have changed) but until you can find some relevant error messages, it's hard to know what is going on.
    Who am I on LAST.FM?
    "Siduhe Loved Tracks radio got the thumbs up. Feedback included: yeah, it's good... got the odd dodgy track tho..." (c) ModelCitizen

My squeeze box guru guy(Rob.) took it home to check it out. He has five squeeze boxes. He had no luck doing it wireless but when he hooked a cable to it it worked fine. He thinks that the squeeze box wireless receiver has gone bad. I think I'll just send it to Logitech for repairs.

Charlie

That sounds like it narrows it down to the wireless. But it does seem to contradict your statement that "I've reset the SB3 to factory settings and went through inputting all the numbers needed to connect to my PC. No problem doing that but as I said when I hit play nothing happens.". If the wifi is bad then you would have a hard time connecting it to your network.

Before sending it off, there are two things you might want to consider taking a look at. First, when the SB3 is not connected by cable, does it show up as connecting to your network? You can check your router's admin pages, or look in SC's Settings > Information tab to see active players. Or you could get information from the SB3 (under Settings > Information). If it is the SB3's wifi that is bad then it shouldn't show up in any of these places.

Second, the wifi cards in SB3s have been known to come loose sometimes. Re-seating the card is supposedly easy (at least for those who aren't afraid to open the SB3 *and* have the requisite Torx screwdriver). If you don't want to be without your SB3, or if it is out of warranty and you don't want to pay for the repair, you can consider trying to re-seat the wifi card yourself. But do the first step first to confirm that it really is the wifi.

Well the darn thing is working now. While it was at Rob's I deleted the squeeze center program. I installed the newest version and lo and Behold IT WORKS!!!
    Does seem very strange to me that it was okay one day and the next it wouldn't work.

Se La Vie!!!

God!!! I sure miss the days of plug it in and play.

This PC audio is way,way over my head. When the good lord past out brains I was almost the last one in line!

Cheers
    Charlie