Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dblaze42
    • Jun 2009

Using Squeezebox with TV

I've scoured the internet and haven't found an answer to a somewhat simple question:

Can I connect my Samsung HDTV to my Squeezebox using the line-in feature?

This would basically make my Squeezebox a home theater.

I've tried just plugging in a standard red/white-to-stereo audio cable from both my digital cable box and tv to the line-in on the box, and there's no sound.

Can anyone give me a hand?
  • toby10
    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by dblaze42
    I've scoured the internet and haven't found an answer to a somewhat simple question:

Can I connect my Samsung HDTV to my Squeezebox using the line-in feature?

This would basically make my Squeezebox a home theater.

I've tried just plugging in a standard red/white-to-stereo audio cable from both my digital cable box and tv to the line-in on the box, and there's no sound.

Can anyone give me a hand?
    I'm not sure why the Boom's two speakers would sound much better than your TV speakers....but.....

Are the audio outs on your cable box activated? You may need to select that audio out from the cable box menu, or is this the same audio out that works fine when used for the TV speakers?

Comment

• aubuti
      • Oct 2005

A lot of tv speakers are pretty lousy, even on otherwise good TVs, so using the Boom seems worth a try to me. Make sure that (a) the "line in" on the Boom is activated, and (b) the "line in" input volume is sufficiently high. I forget exactly where those settings are, but I think it's Settings > Audio.
      Main system: SB3 > Emotiva XDA-1 > NAD C 325BEE > Vandersteen 1
      Living room: SB2 > Audioengine HD6
      Kitchen/dining: SB2 > AudioSource AMP 100 > 2-pairs of Polk Audio RC60i in-ceiling speakers
      Deck/patio: SB Receiver > AudioSource AMP 100 > Polk Atrium 45
      Study: SB Radio
      Quiet time: Hifiman Sundara headphones plugged into NAD amp or iPhone + AudioQuest Dragonfly Red DAC/amp
      LMS 8.3 running on a Raspberry Pi3 (piCore), controlled using iPeng, SB Controllers and Squeezepad

Comment

• toby10
        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by aubuti
        A lot of tv speakers are pretty lousy, even on otherwise good TVs......
        Agreed. But it is quite a stretch to think that the Boom is going to deliver anything close to "home theatre" sound with 2 ch analog audio being output to two small speakers six inches apart from each other.

But I do see your point and there may well be some audio quality improvement over some cheap TV speakers.

Comment

• bernt
          • Aug 2005

The Line in Plugin must also be loaded.

I have my bedroom tv connected to my Boom and it sounds great. With a sub it sounds better than most cheap Home Theather systems.
          SB Touch optical to Hegel H90, Speakers Larsen 4.2
          Spare SB3
          AirPlay Bridge to Audio Pro A10
          Squeezelite-x connected to home LMS with ZeroTier One.
          SB Radio
          ReadyNAS 202
          iPeng

Comment

• dblaze42
            • Jun 2009

Line Plug In

bernt : The Line in Plugin must also be loaded.

What's meant by this? Is there a plugin I should download first that will play audio from my tv or cable box in the Squeezebox?

I've had no problems playing audio that uses stereo-to-stereo such as from my iPhone or iPod.

Comment

• bernt
              • Aug 2005

bernt : The Line in Plugin must also be loaded.

What's meant by this? Is there a plugin I should download first that will play audio from my tv or cable box in the Squeezebox?

I've had no problems playing audio that uses stereo-to-stereo such as from my iPhone or iPod.
              If you get sound from other devices the Plugin is loaded. For some reason mine was'nt and it took me some time to figured it out.

EDIT: I use the headphone out on the tv to connect to Line in on the Boom.
              SB Touch optical to Hegel H90, Speakers Larsen 4.2
              Spare SB3
              AirPlay Bridge to Audio Pro A10
              Squeezelite-x connected to home LMS with ZeroTier One.
              SB Radio
              ReadyNAS 202
              iPeng

Comment

• dblaze42
                • Jun 2009

Great suggestion, but I think that's my issue... I have a Samsung HDTV and I don't believe it has a "headphone out". I have about 5 different audio outputs, but the only one that makes sense to me is the red&white. I feel like that should work, either from my TV or my cable box.

Any ideas, since I don't have a headphone out?

Comment

• toby10
                  • Jul 2007

Great suggestion, but I think that's my issue... I have a Samsung HDTV and I don't believe it has a "headphone out". I have about 5 different audio outputs, but the only one that makes sense to me is the red&white. I feel like that should work, either from my TV or my cable box.

If possible, try that audio out to some other device to make sure that "out" is currently working. As I suggested, you may need to assign that audio out from your device (stb or TV) within your device's menu's.

Comment

• aubuti
                    • Oct 2005

You have probably figured this out already, but I've learned it's best not to assume anything in these situations. To connect the red & white RCA outputs from your tv to the Boom's line-in you can use a Y-adapter (2 RCA to stereo mini plug), which is available in just about any electronics supply store, or online.

@toby10: I agree completely. It may be an improvement over the tv speakers, but it won't be "home theatre".
                    Main system: SB3 > Emotiva XDA-1 > NAD C 325BEE > Vandersteen 1
                    Living room: SB2 > Audioengine HD6
                    Kitchen/dining: SB2 > AudioSource AMP 100 > 2-pairs of Polk Audio RC60i in-ceiling speakers
                    Deck/patio: SB Receiver > AudioSource AMP 100 > Polk Atrium 45
                    Study: SB Radio
                    Quiet time: Hifiman Sundara headphones plugged into NAD amp or iPhone + AudioQuest Dragonfly Red DAC/amp
                    LMS 8.3 running on a Raspberry Pi3 (piCore), controlled using iPeng, SB Controllers and Squeezepad

Comment

Working...