Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Unhappy Squeezebox can't resolve IP Address or internet radio or Last.fm

Hi all

I have recently started getting an error with my squeezebox, possibly a DNS error. I first noticed the problem on Sunday (7th June) night. When I try to connect to a radio station saved in favourites I get a message that my squeezebox couldn't resolve the IP address. When I look in the logs there are lots of failed radio connections and I can't even resolve Last.fm:

Error handshaking with Last.fm: Couldn't resolve IP address for: post.audioscrobbler.com

I fixed the problem temporarily by installing the nightly build of Version: 7.3.3 - 26751 but the day after the problem has returned. All other devices on my network can resolve IP addresses fine including other devices on my wireless network. I've also tried changing my squeezebox from DHCP to a fixed IP so I can ensure the DNS entry is listed as my router/gateway.

Any help would be gratefully recieved.

Cheers
    Justin

Update

Seems it does it after the PC is powered off but if I restart SqueezeCenter it all starts working again even though streaming music from the HD works all the time.

QA Puppy -flame retardant jrichardson's Avatar

Question upgrade your 7.3.3 version

Please upgrade to SqueezeCenter 7.3.3 r27044

Then tell me if you still get errors.

Also;
    who is your ISP
    what type of services to you have (dsl/idsn/cable)
    what country are you in
    what is the model of your ISP provided equipment and/or home router
    James R.
    QA - breaking things so you don't have to

Same issue here. After upgrading to 7.3.3 (on Ubuntu 9.04), SC can't resolve IP addresses after boot. Restarting the server solves the problem until next reboot. I upgraded to 7.3.4-r27120, but no improvement. Switching to SqueezeNetwork works fine. The DNS problems seem to be limited to SC, since the rest of the system does not show any issues.

I also tried to move the start of SC to the end of the init process of runlevel 2 (because I suspected that SC is now starting faster and maybe the init of the network service was not finished), but there was no improvement.
    << SB3 - SB3 - SB2 - SBRadio / Raspbian >>

Upgrade to 7.3.3, DNS broken on XP

Hi,

I'm seeing the same problem on Windows XP after upgrading to 7.3.3. Looking at the logs and at old logs, I see that DNS was failing on the earlier version, but it was falling back to OpenDNS. OpenDNS then successfully resolved the names.

Stopping and restarting squeezeserver resolves the problem with 7.3.3.

DNS on the local network is provided by a caching resolver on a Netcomm NB5 ADSL modem. It is connected via ethernet, and the interface is configured using DHCP.

Speculation: Squeezeserver is getting the list of DNS servers too early in the boot process, and is caching the DNS server list. The log entries include this: "(Couldn't resolve IP address for: update.squeezenetwork.com), will try again in 10 minutes." These repeat at progressively larger intervals, continuing to fail. This is consistent with asking the wrong DNS server for the answer.

Hmm. I just had a look at the source.

In /7.3/trunk/server/Slim/Networking/Async/DNS.pm in the online svn repository, there is a bunch of code that provides a DNS name cache and also caches resolver IP addresses after "testing" them. The DNS cache honours TTL in the responses which is something, but it never deals with changes to the list of configured responders. It also considers failures to with local responders during configuration to be configuration errors rather than considering that they could just be transient failures.

This attempt to work around user configuration errors actually causes problems on systems with transient failures that are correctly configured. An example of transient failures like this is network interfaces being configured during startup. These problems were previous masked by a second level of "assistance", namely falling back to OpenDNS.

This module needs to deal with changes with the resolver list during operation. Once it does that, given that it already does parallel queries against all known resolvers, there is no need to test resolvers. If a resolver is failing, it doesn't matter anyway and it the resolver had a transient failure it will not be falsely ignored.

Thanks janm for your work on this. I upgraded to 7.3.3 yesterday and saw similar problems with DNS errors preventing all network radio, but when I couldn't find any posts about this issue I assumed it was something screwed up at my end. I downgraded back to 7.3.2 and everything is working fine again.

Like you I'm running this under XP, I use OpenDNS and my ADSL box handles all the DNS stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by murrayp View Post
    Like you I'm running this under XP, I use OpenDNS and my ADSL box handles all the DNS stuff.
    And what happens if you do NOT use OpenDNS in combination with 7.3.3? I'm assuming you manually entered the OpenDNS addresses in your modem?
    Squeezebox Controller (fw r6038) + Squeezebox Receiver (fw 62) + 1TB fileserver, Windows XP SP3, running SqueezeCenter 7.3.4

Download SC 7.3.4 from here: http://downloads.slimdevices.com/nightly/?ver=7.3

Quote Originally Posted by BastiaanR View Post
    And what happens if you do NOT use OpenDNS in combination with 7.3.3? I'm assuming you manually entered the OpenDNS addresses in your modem?
    I do not use OpenDNS in combination with 7.3.3 and I see the same problem as murrayp. The relevance of OpenDNS is that the 7.3.2 code used the OpenDNS resolvers directly using the OpenDNS IP addresses embedded in the code. Using OpenDNS front ended by a caching resolver on an ADSL modem should make no difference.

The test code can consider a server "failed" for many reasons. For example, the code queries for the names a.root-servers.net through to m.root-servers.net. This will work if connectivity is available to the resolver even if the resolver doesn't have internet connectivity if the resolver is configured to have that name. That is true for BIND, but it is not true for some other DNS servers like djbdns.

There will probably be multiple reasons for a resolver to be seen as failed, and attempting to find and resolve those issues is not useful.

dns problem

I seem to have the same or similar problem.

The Extension dowloader can't find the repositories - can't resolve the Ip address for www.squeezenetwork.com or www.tux.org

When I look in the SC log, its full of similar messages - Can't resolve IP address for .....

I've tried restarting the PC, doesnt help, but restarting squeezecenter seems to fix it!

Nigel

Running 7.3.3 27044 on ubuntu 9.04

Quote Originally Posted by Bearfaced View Post
    Hi all

I have recently started getting an error with my squeezebox, possibly a DNS error. I first noticed the problem on Sunday (7th June) night. When I try to connect to a radio station saved in favourites I get a message that my squeezebox couldn't resolve the IP address. When I look in the logs there are lots of failed radio connections and I can't even resolve Last.fm:

Error handshaking with Last.fm: Couldn't resolve IP address for: post.audioscrobbler.com

I fixed the problem temporarily by installing the nightly build of Version: 7.3.3 - 26751 but the day after the problem has returned. All other devices on my network can resolve IP addresses fine including other devices on my wireless network. I've also tried changing my squeezebox from DHCP to a fixed IP so I can ensure the DNS entry is listed as my router/gateway.

Any help would be gratefully recieved.

Cheers
    Justin
    I have the same problem. I am running 7.3.3 on Readynas DUO. Problem started after opgrading from 7.3.2 to 7.3.3