Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Booms, alarms and Wake on LAN ...

I've been messing around trying to get sleep working satisfactorily on a Windows based machine, as a possibility to migrate from my NAS, and I think I'm almost there, but I've got one problem left...
    I use the Boom as an Alarm clock, no problem there, it's sending the WOL packet about 10 minutes before the alarm is due to go off and I can see my server wake up.
    However, the server only stays awake for about a minute then goes back to sleep. So when the alarm actually fires you get the internal signal rather than the proper streaming music!

I know this is a Windows/BIOS issue, but I've spent ages searching to try and find out if this "return to sleep" setting is configurable to no avail.

Potential solutions I can think of:

1) Tweak the "prevent standby when playing" plugin so that it somehow knows when the Boom sends the WOL and keeps the server awake properly as if playing until the alarm fires

2) Make the Boom WOL packet generation configurable, I could set mine comfortably to 15-20 seconds before the alarm...

3) Find a proper solution in the OS/BIOS to tell it to behave as if it has been properly awoken when it receives the WOL.

Has anyone else come up against this, and found a solution?
    Last edited by sk33ve; 2009-05-09 at 10:50.
    ------------------------------------------------
    Squeezecenter 7.3.2 on Asrock Nettop running Windows 7 beta
    2 x Squeezebox Booms
    1 x Squeezebox Duet

I think your solution lies in 1).
    2) is impractical: your server takes probably more than 30 seconds to wake up. Maybe it doesn't; but one day, it will check its drives or take some time retrieving an IP address, etc.
    3) There is not much you set in the Bios, except keeping the network card powered when the computer is sleeping or off. This allows the card to see the WOL packet, and from there all happens in the OS.

From what I understand, windows has a suspend/hibernate timeout, but it fails to observe it when waking-up, instead returns to sleep quickly if it detects no activity.

Are you using the "prevent standby when playing" utility modified by Gharris999 ? (part of the SrvPowerControl plugin, see the 3rd-party plugins forum)
    I think he has written a version of the utility, he called "Really prevent standby"...

No, I'm just using 7.3.2 out of the box for now - I saw it had a "prevent standby when playing" plugin built-in so didn't think I'd need the third party one anymore

I'll investigate and give it a try, thanks for the suggestion!
    2 x Squeezebox Booms
    1 x Squeezebox Duet

Quote Originally Posted by sk33ve View Post
    No, I'm just using 7.3.2 out of the box for now - I saw it had a "prevent standby when playing" plugin built-in so didn't think I'd need the third party one anymore

I'll investigate and give it a try, thanks for the suggestion!
    Have you looked into the SrvrPowerCntrl plugin much ? I've not used this in a windows environment but I believe there might be settings related to your issues. I use it on my Linux VortexBox server, it suspends my server after 30mins of players being idle, I also have it waking up my server prior to alarm going off

Just had a look and found the ReallyStopStandby plugin and it seems to do exactly what I want so thanks for the suggestion to both of you, I'll try it out tonight!

(I also noticed it says that 7.4 has this functionality built-in so that is good news too!)
    2 x Squeezebox Booms
    1 x Squeezebox Duet

Tried it out at lunchtime - works great - thanks for the help!
    2 x Squeezebox Booms
    1 x Squeezebox Duet