Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Unhappy Update killed my controller

I have been using my controller quite happily for getting on for a year.

Today I noticed it was offering me an update so I went ahead with it - they normally work just fine.

So I am now on 7.3 r5225 and it no longer works.

After the update was applied I lost the controllers theme. That is to say there was no green background anymore - just white text on a black background.

More of a problem, it can no longer find any of my wireless access points. Furthermore, if I manually enter an SSID and associated key it cannot connect to a known working access point.

I then tried a factory reset which fixed the theme problem but I am still unable find or connect to any wireless networks.

I assume the version of my SBR or SC itself is irrelevant since until the SBC can connect to an access point they can have no effect.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Justin

I have now tried manually reverting back to r3993 and this seems to work fine - however when I try and connect to a player I am forced to update. Is there any way to turn this off?

I am running SC Version: 7.3.3 - 25090. I suppose upgrading to the latest nightly will still give me r5225 for the controller so that won't help me.

I guess the only thing I can do is downgrade my SC to v7.3.2 but then I'll loose the changes I wanted in v7.3.3.

Why am I forced to upgrade my firmaware?

firmware update fails

Hi elziko

This seems to be the same problem as the 'sticky' at the top of this forum page, just in case you didn't see it?

How did this issue get missed though?

Kantblue

No I missed that - thanks!

I'm still having problems though so I'll continue to post in the sticky.

Thumbs down

I'm back to hating the Duet... *sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by notec View Post
    I'm back to hating the Duet... *sigh*
    I feel for you. Most of us have been there...

My system first went wrong when I installed a beta version of 7.3. The Duet became effectively unusable between late November 2008 and February 2009, missing the whole Christmas period when it would have been really nice for the family to have it working.

The latest problems (now fixed by the way, read the sticky at the top of this forum) only affected those who downloaded and ran the beta 7.3.3 software.

Using the Duet has taught me, very painfully, to live by the mantra "if it ain't broke, don't fix it".

I now never run beta software on anything unless I am actually testing it for fun and nobody else is going to use it or relies on it.

My SqueezeBox setup is a family resource and it if it is working it is not fair on the rest of the family if I choose to muck around with it.

I certainly won't be running SC 7.3.3 until it is officially released and will probably wait for a few reports on this site before I do. The only things that are "flakey" with the 7.3.2 setup is that the Controller is very slow at waking up from "sleep" mode and hates to be taken out of wireless range. As a result it stays in its dock most of the time and is confined to the two rooms of the house where there are audio systems and a very strong wireless signal. It does not really need to go anywhere else after all!

The only reason to update to 7.3.3 would be if it fixes these problems and I will want to see plenty of reports here that it does so before I will try and upgrade.

Because I now run SqueezeCenter on a Synology NAS, they probably won't be releasing their version of SC 7.3.3 for about a month after it is officially released anyway.

Hope you fix your setup soon, and remember there is no harm in downgrading to an earlier version that you know works.
    Matt
    SqueezeBoxes: 2 x piCorePlayers
    Server: One of the piCorePlayers
    Livingroom: pCP, Linn LP12, Naim 72/Hi-cap/110/Headline amp, B&W CM2 speakers
    Dining: piCorePlayer, Steljes NS3 active speakers