Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

SqueezeCenter fails to start intermittently

I'm running the officially released version of SqueezeCenter 7.3.2 on Windows Vista Enterprise with Service Pack 1 installed. Sometimes when I start Windows, SqueezeCenter starts up just fine. However, there are other times when I get the SqueezeCenter icon in the system tray but it just keeps blinking and when I hover over the icon it says SqueezeCenter Starting. I have left it in this state over night but sometimes it just won't ever start without a reboot (sometimes several reboots). I do not get any error messages.

Does anyone have any troubleshooting suggestions?

Does Vista have the Windows Event Viewer or equivalent? In XP it's under Control Panel/Performance and Maintenance/Admin Tools.

Next time it happens, have a look for error messages in the Applications tab - things like mysql or perl not starting up maybe?

That may help narrow it down. Also, are you running a third party firewall or antivirus program?
    Who am I on LAST.FM?
    "Siduhe Loved Tracks radio got the thumbs up. Feedback included: yeah, it's good... got the odd dodgy track tho..." (c) ModelCitizen

7.3.2 fails to start at all on Vista

I am also having problems with 7.3.2 on Vista Home Premium (I wish I had stuck with 7.3!).

It starts enough to run the wizard but falls over after about 60 seconds.

In event viewer, I am getting:

Event ID1000

Faulting application SQUEEZ~1.EXE, version 23630.0.0.0, time stamp 0x48e4169f, faulting module perl58.dll, version 5.8.8.820, time stamp 0x45b6a113, exception code 0xc0000005, fault offset 0x00085bc9, process id 0xec4, application start time 0x01c9cdc030773149.

Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

Mark (Portsmouth, England)

SqueezeCenter fails to startintermittently

> It starts enough to run the wizard but falls over after about 60
    > seconds.

Do you have any error messages in server.log? What antivirus are you using?

--

Michael

Squeezecenter won't start

Hi.

I'm having similar problems - on XP MCE 2002 SP3 though. After installing SqueezeCenter v. 7.3.2 (which takes forever since SqueezeCenter does not start) the icon in the statusbar just shows "SqueezeCenter starting", and nothing happens. I cannot access port 9000 in the browser.

In the eventviewer I get an error with something like (it's in Danish):
    Description for event-id (0) in the source (Application) could not be found ... bla. bla. ... use option /AUXSOURCE= to show this description ... bla. bla. ... Undefined subroutine &main::main called at slimserver.pl line 89.

Any ideas?

I use Norman Security Suite by the way.

/feldt
    Last edited by feldt; 2009-05-06 at 01:18.

SqueezeCenter fails to startintermittently

> I use Norman Security Suite by the way.

That's the most important detail in your report: there's a known issue
    with Norman AV. Please contact support - they can provide you with a
    special SC build for Norman users.

--

Michael

Windows 7 RC (Win7 / Win 7 RC) and SqueezeCenter SC v7.3.2

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    Do you have any error messages in server.log? What antivirus are you using?
    Michael
    I have not checked the server.log...probably should have...but I am not an expert in SC diagnostics!!

I was using McAfee Total Business (I know this is problematic from reading other posts) but uninstalled it and still got the error.

I just did a quick search in the forum on 'server.log' and cannot see where this is stored in a Vista installation - can you tell me where to find the server.log file and I will post my logfile results.

I think somewhere along the line, my copy of Vista has just got a bit 'messed up' (I am thinking it is the PERL dll) and it is probably time for a clean install of Windows...I just want a clean registry, so a clean install is the only way to go, me thinks!!!

Here is some news though...just installed Windows 7 RC on my ultra portable laptop (EEE-PC 1000) to test if SC 7.3.2 works OK and it does...seems very stable indeed, more so than Vista (surprise, surprise)!!!

As I think I will have to do a clean install anyway on my 'lounge' computer(probably well overdue considering the number of installs/uninstalls of dozens of software pkgs)...I am now thinking of putting Windows 7 RC on my media center / lounge PC...or is that madness?

As this is only used as a secondary (Windows Media Center) TV for my 5 year old and as a music server for me so what have I got to lose (as SC refuses to work anyway)? Hey, why not live on the bleeding edge?!

I am sure Win 7 is just what Vista should have been...I can always revert back to Vista if I have major problems but it is looking good so far so I think I am going to give the Win7 RC a go...

I will keep you posted...

Cheers

Mark