Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

can a wired SB3 be upgraded to wireless?

i got a SB3 recently and found out to my dismay that it was wired. is there a way to upgrade it to wireless?

cheers

Quote Originally Posted by hardflipman View Post
    i got a SB3 recently and found out to my dismay that it was wired. is there a way to upgrade it to wireless?

cheers
    I don't think they made an SB3 without a wireless card in it.
    You sure it's an SB3? Not an SB1 or SB2 or other?

Have you tried resetting it and connecting via WiFi?

There was wired version SB3

I saw it on an auction site, about two years ago.

SB3s used to be sold in wired or wired & wireless versions. I have one of each.

The hardware should be there (mini-PCI slot) and the firmware should support it as there is only one version of the firmware.

The tricky part will be finding the exact wireless card. You have to find the exact one, and IIRC it's an Asian OEM that only sells to corporations. The model number has been listed on this forum but I'm not sure what search terms would find it.

It would probably be easier and even cheaper to wire it to a wireless bridge.
    Current: SB2, Boom (PQP3 - late beta, PQP1 - early beta), SBC (early beta), Squeezebox Radio (PB1 - early beta), Squeezebox Touch (late beta)
    Selling: Transporter
    Sold: SB3, Duet

Quote Originally Posted by TonyM View Post
    SB3s used to be sold in wired or wired & wireless versions. I have one of each.
    Well I'll be..... I had never heard that before. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Lanctot View Post
    It would probably be easier and even cheaper to wire it to a wireless bridge.
    I expect Mark's right about this. Another alternative would be to bring the wire to where you're using the SB3. If you don't want to pull ethernet cable to that location, you could look into homeplug adapters, which run the network signal over your home's electrical wires.

I too had no idea there was a wired one till i tried to connect wirelessly!

i wasn't too fussed as i have just rewired the house and put what i thought was sufficient cat5 in but i'm having difficulty relocating my cable modem which is requiring me to use 1 of my ethernet ports in the living room which i needed for the squeezebox. i'v got a hub i could use but i wanted to avoid having yet another device plugged into the mains...

anyway, i'll persevere with moving my cable modem and failing that i'll just use a hub. if it could have taken a generic minipci wireless card that would have made life easier as i have a broken nc6000 laptop that i could have taken the wireless card out of. never mind

cheers

You could consider the use of an access point that support the client mode.
    Example: EDIMAX EW-7416APn
    Probably it will not work out of the box, but you could configure it with a windows pc (and squeezeplay on top).