Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Watcher of the Windows build

MusicIP development... stalled???

I was wondering why the MusicIP mixer had not been updated for a while. I went over to the MusicIP forum and found this recent thread. http://forums.musicip.com/index.php?showtopic=4286 It "appears" that that the main developer/architect (Wendell) has moved on. It would be a pity if no one picks up on the development of this mixer soon.

Maybe Logitech with its deep pockets can make a move on MusicIP (buy it from Parasoft) and incorporate its functionality in SC. Now that would really give the SC server a boost. I'm pretty sure that "if" the intellectual capital of MusicIP were to be made available for sale... a bunch of other companies in the digital music delivery business would also make a move on it.

Wendell is still listed on the Management Team page, so it could just be speculation. Hopefully anyway

http://musicip.com/about/team.jsp

His LinkedIn profile list his current job as "Director of Ad Optimization at AT&T Interactive" and his previous job as CTO at MIP.

http://www.linkedin.com/ppl/webprofi...rl&lnk=sign_in

I too would hope that Logitech would buy MusicIP for better integration and to improve the technology, but it doesn't look likely in this climate, and they're likely to have their hands full development-wise working on the Duet/SqueezePlay issues for a while to come.

My best hope is that MusicIP stays stable and understood long enough that it can remain an integral, if not improving, part of the Squeezecenter ecosystem.

To be honest though, Squeezecenter 7.3.2 is good enough for me that if MusicIP integration became an issue I just wouldn't upgrade any more. I can live within the limitations and minor irritations of the current system for a long time, and MusicIp has become that important to me.

I rather suspect that the business plan for MusicIP involved getting bought by someone. Reading further on their forums it's some time since they got any funding and development stopped early last year. I can't see much evidence of updates since then.

I suspect that when Apple bought a competing product Music IP effectively died.

There's no version for Intel macs and i don't see much chance of it arriving which is a real shame as I loved it when i ran Slimserver on a Windows box.

Genius integration please.

Watcher of the Windows build
    Quote Originally Posted by b33k34 View Post
    Genius integration please.
    I would not mind having Genius integration in SC, but I think MusicIP creates better mixes. I believe Genius mixes are somehow tied to ratings and do no create mixes with obscured tracks that exist in my library. In other words, when I listen to Genius generated mixes the results do not surprise me. Genius mixes appear (to me) to be predictable and the songs selected too familiar. MusicIP generated mixes can be tuned to the sound-signature of the seed songs. I also feel that the granularity of the settings of MusicIP allow for a wider range of variety and can be adjusted to generate unpredictable mixes based on the seed track mood and can be restricted/unrestricted to specific genre/genres.

Quote Originally Posted by sander View Post
    To be honest though, Squeezecenter 7.3.2 is good enough for me that if MusicIP integration became an issue I just wouldn't upgrade any more. I can live within the limitations and minor irritations of the current system for a long time, and MusicIp has become that important to me.
    This news of Wendell and MusicIP definitely saddens me, and I just wanted to DEEPLY second the sentiment of the above paragraph. MusicIP is the #1 way that me and my family interact with our Squeezeboxen. We have a very large library with everything from hip-hop to classical and a lot of Frank Zappa, and it makes fantastic mixes for us. And of course its filtering functions keep the Zappa out of my wife's mixes and the George Michael out of mine. If an update broke MusicIP compatibility, I would not install that update.

So yes, MusicIP, please keep your product going, and Logitech, please keep it deeply integrated with SqueezeCenter. I love the idea of Logitech taking on MusicIP development, too!

Quote Originally Posted by thing-fish View Post
    This news of Wendell and MusicIP definitely saddens me, and I just wanted to DEEPLY second the sentiment of the above paragraph. MusicIP is the #1 way that me and my family interact with our Squeezeboxen. We have a very large library with everything from hip-hop to classical and a lot of Frank Zappa, and it makes fantastic mixes for us. And of course its filtering functions keep the Zappa out of my wife's mixes and the George Michael out of mine. If an update broke MusicIP compatibility, I would not install that update.

So yes, MusicIP, please keep your product going, and Logitech, please keep it deeply integrated with SqueezeCenter. I love the idea of Logitech taking on MusicIP development, too!
    I have never installed this but it was on my to-do list, seems a shame that development has ended.

Genius seems to have taken off from an iTunes perspective so MusicIP integration would be a string in the Logitech bow if it was taken on

Not to forget that Genius doesn’t make "real neutral mixes" but internally "prefers" what Apple want us to hear in the mixes. The "SoundCheck numbers" also already contain a "secret code" hinting at that.

Maybe that’s one of the reasons why MusicIP creates better mixes.

Personally, I’d be really unhappy if one great and (rather) unbiased music service like MusicIP would die. Or someone "inappropriate" would buy them out.

I much prefer being "sold into" something by its quality (like music, hard- or software) than by proprietary and hidden marketing tricks and background affiliations.
    Last edited by Moonbase; 2009-04-08 at 09:59.

Quote Originally Posted by Moonbase View Post

I much prefer being "sold into" something by its quality (like music, hard- or software) than by proprietary and hidden marketing tricks and background affiliations.
    Amen Bro! I second the above post. (plus I had to add more characters for the post to work)
    If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use is the rule.

HTTP://www.last.fm/user/nonreality