Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Hibernate/Suspend ubuntu when server not being used?

I have set up a server with Ubuntu on it and it will be feeding Transporter via ethernet. I want to be able to have it powered on 24/7, but how can I make it so that when not used for say 30 minutes it will hibernate or suspend to save power, wear on the hd and so on.

And when I use the Transporter again it can WoL?

My motherboard is an Asus G31-based-type.

Quote Originally Posted by cybervision_ View Post
    I have set up a server with Ubuntu on it and it will be feeding Transporter via ethernet. I want to be able to have it powered on 24/7, but how can I make it so that when not used for say 30 minutes it will hibernate or suspend to save power, wear on the hd and so on.

And when I use the Transporter again it can WoL?

My motherboard is an Asus G31-based-type.
    In the 3rd-party plugins thread, there is one about srvPowerControl (rarely goes past the first page.)
    This plugin monitors squeezecenter usage and sends sleep commands. It does much more but that's the basic idea. As long as your server is wired, and the server is able to wake from sleep, the Transporter will wake the server when you press power on the remote.
    If you do sleep-to-ram, then the Transporter will be operational within a few seconds (say 3 to 10 max). If you do sleep-to-disk, then it will take a lot more; sleep-to-disk is somehow interesting in windows as it accelerates the boot.

Power saving settings vary from one motherboard to the other, and also depend on the OS version... So the idea is to get your ubuntu machine running, sleeping and waking up ok (since this is a recent motherboard, that should be possible, probably easy.)
    From there, you'll be able to give the right parameters for the plugin to sleep the machine when the Transporter is idle.

It goes to sleep ok, but when it wakes it asks for my password, are there any ways to work around that?

Are there any BIOS settings I should be aware of?

Quote Originally Posted by cybervision_ View Post
    It goes to sleep ok, but when it wakes it asks for my password, are there any ways to work around that?

Are there any BIOS settings I should be aware of?
    That must be an issue with your screensaver settings. Anyway, the plugin doesn't care for the graphical interface (nor does SC), it would sleep and wake the computer ok.

In the bios, look for wake-on-lan settings (you want that). I'd also set the computer to return to power on state after power failure. That would allow it to boot, settle its config (check drives...), reach the inactivity timeout and go to sleep cleanly.
    You can also disable any device you do not use, joystick, // or serial ports, audio... to trim on the number of hardware-related modules linux loads. Can't do harm, if no good.