Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Tag editor for CUE sheets?

Hi

I have a lot of CDs ripped as 'whole CD' FLAC images with separate matching CUE files. I'm having a go at tidying up the tags. It always niggles me when scrolling through 'Artists', to see, for instance, several different versions of ELO (ELO, E.L.O., The Electric Light Orchestra, Electric Light Orchestra (ELO)...etc). Also, with both Squeezecenter and iTunes handling Articles sensibly, it's time to put back the 'The's (THE Beatles, THE Beach Boys etc)!

Can anyone recommend a bulk editor for CUE files?

Perhaps I can explain what I'm after. For MP3 or OGG files, I find 'Tag Scanner 5.0' to be just about perfect. I can load an entire folder of music, and it can give me a hierarchical list of all the individual songs. I can then work on groups of files, changing only selected tags and leaving the others untouched.

I'm looking for the same sort of functionality for CUE files. Ideally I'd like to load all the CUE files in my music folder, to see every track listed in a hierarchical structure under each artist or album, and apply mass edits to groups of tracks, with the information being written back to the original CUE files obviously.

I can't see that functionality in Tag&Rename, MP3TAG, ExcelTagger. Is there something out there that will do what I'm after?

Thanks
    Chris

OK, well to answer my own question, Foobar seems to do what I want. With the 'File' -> 'Add Folder...' option I can specify my music folder, and it finds all the CUE files and lists the individual tracks in the playlist pane. However it also finds all the corresponding FLAC files, which makes it difficult to operate on just the CUE files.

However, if I use the Windows Explorer 'Search' function to find all *.CUE in a given folder, then select and copy them all, I can then paste them all into the Playlist pane in Foobar. It then intelligently parses all those CUE files and lists the individual tracks. I can then edit the tags by right-clicking groups of files and bringing up their 'Properties'. When I 'Apply' the changes they are written back to the original CUE files without changing any of the other content.

I'm guessing that I could use the Windows Explorer search function to find all the CUE, MP3 and OGG files in a given folder, and then I could work on my entire mixed library in one go - all that would leave is a few albums that I ripped to individual FLAC tracks.

Job done.

CUE's are just text files, you can edit them with any text editor. I have done batch operations with Word's find and replace function.

The tags stored the actual image audio file are a different matter. MP3tag is the best tag editor IMO.

Any reason you have chosen to take this path? I ripped my entire collection this way, but gave up as SC's sometime poor handling of them and terrible support in general. More touble than they are worth IMO, they dont offer any advantage over single well ripped FLAC's (FLAC does gapless playback perfectly)
    Last edited by autopilot; 2009-02-24 at 13:18.
    Cheers, auto.

Lounge: Squeezebox 3, Squeezebox Controller, Cambridge Audio 640A, Mission 701's Kitchen: Squeezebox Touch, Trends TA-10.1, Kef Cresta 1's. Bedroom: Squeezebox Boom Bathroom/Garden: Squeezebox Radio Car: iPod Classic 80GB Portable: iPhone 3GS 32Gb (+iPeng)

Yes, I rather like the fact that CUE files are plain text, so the odd small problem can be fixed manually with any text editor. However, what I was after was:
    - some way to work on multiple CUE files at once (ie my whole library)
    - to sort by various methods (artist, album etc)
    - to use convenient windows 'control-click' operations to select multiple tracks from numerous different CUE files
    - to see the results update on screen
    - to save the results with a single click.

Admittedly a text editor *could* do some of this, but it would take some pretty whizzy scripts/batch files to achieve the same sort of bulk editing. Using my original example, I would have to anticipate all the different forms of 'ELO' and code/search for them, whereas the WYSIWYG approach lets me browse and edit on the fly. Foobar seems to give me everything I need. I contemplated writing some kind of Excel script - reading the CUE files would be straightforward I think, but writing any edits back to the original files without touching the rest of the file seemed, shall we say, non-trivial!

Why did I go for the Image+CUE approach? Good question! I'm not convinced by it, but the beauty of it is that I can always adopt a different approach later, without having to re-rip. I know that my CUE files contain everything there is to know about the original CD, and allow me to recreate the original CD if ever I need to. In addition, the FLAC images contain nothing but the music. Most format converters will recognise the CUE sheets. For instance, I use the same 'Windows Explorer search/copy/paste' approach to get all my CUE files into 'Easy CD DA Extractor' so that I can batch convert my entire library into a different format - 24 hours later I've got an entire library of 'Extreme' MP3s for my iPhone, for instance, if I wish - in fact I'll be doing this again once I've tidied the tags in the CUE sheets. I agree, the same can be achieved with individual FLAC files, but I guess I just like the concept of having all the tagging info in plain text files, rather than embedded into the music files themselves.

I've not encountered any problems at all relating to these image files in Squeezecenter for a long time. It understands my CUE files very well, so I can easily select individual tracks. I haven't tried FF/RW for a while, so I don't know if that works now, but I don't use it anyway.

Foobar2000 won't write tags to CUE sheet

I was overjoyed to find this thread because I have a good number of single-file albums in .flac and .ape form with .cue sheets. But I tried your approach of opening the CUE sheet with Foobar2000 (version 1.3.14) and modifying some metadata tags via Properties, and as soon as I click on Apply, my changes disappear. Nor are they written to the .cue file.

What might I be doing wrong?

Thanks
    Les

(Note: I tried it with both .flac and .ape files.)
    __________________________________________________ _____________________
    Logitech Media Server Version: Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.2 - ARCH-AUR-REL.7.9.2.arch2 running on Wandboard Quad, music library on SATA HDD
    Squeezebox Touch plugged into run-of-the-mill stereo rig via Musical Fidelity X-Act, extra speakers in kitchen, basement, and bedroom connected by ordinary copper cable.

Quote Originally Posted by Lestrad View Post
    What might I be doing wrong?
    maybe the foobar from 2009 does something your foobar doesnt do anymore?

maybe you didnt have the write permissions to the cue file?
    did you check the notepad way?

Quote Originally Posted by DJanGo View Post
    maybe the foobar from 2009 does something your foobar doesnt do anymore?

maybe you didnt have the write permissions to the cue file?
    did you check the notepad way?
    Thanks!

No problem with permissions, I don't think.

The notepad way, meaning editing it by hand? Sure, but the info I write in there by hand doesn't show up in Foobar or in LMS...
    Logitech Media Server Version: Logitech Media Server Version: 7.9.2 - ARCH-AUR-REL.7.9.2.arch2 running on Wandboard Quad, music library on SATA HDD
    Squeezebox Touch plugged into run-of-the-mill stereo rig via Musical Fidelity X-Act, extra speakers in kitchen, basement, and bedroom connected by ordinary copper cable.

hi Lestrad,

I've been editing my CUE files with a text editor for years. Always worked for me!

Did you rescan?

regards
    Greg

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Erskine View Post
    hi Lestrad,

I've been editing my CUE files with a text editor for years. Always worked for me!

Did you rescan?

regards
    Greg
    Thanks! After playing around a bit I seem to have got it to work. Foobar will write to the CUE file. I was also able to embed a CUE sheet with MP3Tag - you have to do it through Extended Tags. It would be nice if MP3Tag would show that a file has an embedded cue sheet as soon as you select it.

Thanks to all!
    Les

Hi Lestrad,

I ve been using CUE sheets for many years as I like the idea to have a complete CD in a single file.
    Later, I have discovered embedded CUE sheets where the CUE sheet is stored within this single file.

To initially load and maintain the CUE Sheet (originally created by EAC) I am using foobar2000 for many years.

So far, I have experienced mainly two issues:
    a) treatment of composer, which is not consitantly implemented in the various tools. (solution -> I am maintaining the composer in two tags composer & songwriter in parallel)
    b) creation of cue sheets, where EAC has not created the CUE sheet (still looking for a better tool / process as a text editor)

I am using Mp3tag for files w/o CUE sheet, only.

Some time ago, I have started this threats to discuss this matter:
    https://forums.slimdevices.com/showt...000-gt-LMS7-9)

Quote Originally Posted by Lestrad View Post
    Thanks! After playing around a bit I seem to have got it to work. Foobar will write to the CUE file. I was also able to embed a CUE sheet with MP3Tag - you have to do it through Extended Tags. It would be nice if MP3Tag would show that a file has an embedded cue sheet as soon as you select it.
    I am not understanding your point on "extended tags" and the idea to show that a file as an embedded cue sheet.
    Please explain your case.
    Attached an example where I open a file with embedded CUE sheet with Mp3tag.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Living Room / Hifi: piCorePlayer 4.0.0 on rPi 3B+ & Allo DigiOne & 1TB USB (LMS 7.9.2 & Squeezelite) & Keces DC-116, Mutec MC-3+ Smart Clock, Rega DAC R, Rotel RB/RC-1070, Klipsch Forte III
    Bedroom: Boom
    Kitchen: Radio
    Spare: SB3, Touch