Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

SB3 + Controller or Duet ?

I have an SB3 which I purchased in Nov 2006. The unit has and continues to work flawlessly. I use an outboard DAC and NOT the SB3's internal DAC.

I'd like to have the Squeezebox Controller but at $299 USD and with the Duet only $100 more at $399 ... Is it worth it to just get the Duet?

At this time I don't have a need for 2 SqueezeBox Receivers but does the Duet Receiver offer some features or improvements that my SB3 doesn't to make getting the Duet worth the extra $100?

Thanks

No, the SB Receiver (SBR) does not have any features or improvements over the SB3. It has a different DAC, but it is pretty much equivalent to the DAC in the SB3. Mostly the SBR is an SB3 without the vacuum flourescent display (VFD), infrared receiver, or headphone jack. But I bet if you think hard enough, you can find some other place in your home where you would like to have a Squeezebox. SBs like to travel in packs... ;o)
    Temporarily downsized: Living Room: Raspberry Pi3 > SB3 > Audioengine HD6 ; Bedroom: SB Radio.

Quote Originally Posted by USAudio View Post
    I have an SB3 which I purchased in Nov 2006. The unit has and continues to work flawlessly. I use an outboard DAC and NOT the SB3's internal DAC.

I'd like to have the Squeezebox Controller but at $299 USD and with the Duet only $100 more at $399 ... Is it worth it to just get the Duet?

At this time I don't have a need for 2 SqueezeBox Receivers but does the Duet Receiver offer some features or improvements that my SB3 doesn't to make getting the Duet worth the extra $100?
    The Receiver is going to be pretty much identical to the SB3 in sound quality... so that's not going to be a deciding factor.

As for whether the Duet is worth it... well, you can take the SBR portion of it and add music to a room that presently doesn't have music. Trivial to do if you already have SC up and running. If you recall how much of a difference the SB3 made in how you listen to music, having it even more available is that much better.

So, yeah, IMHO, you should get a Duet, "steal" the controller for where you want it, and use the Receiver in the office or some other room where you have a web browser about but don't want to mess with all the Windows sounds interfering with your music.

That way you get the controller, and music for one more room.

It's really up to you whether you want to do that or not, but... I didn't last long at all with only one SB product.. adding rooms is easy and makes it even cooler.

Adding a room for basically a hundred bucks is even better.

formerly known as Fletch
    I have also seen many posts here from people who buy a Duet and then sell the SBR on Ebay. I have no idea what they're getting for them.

formerly known as Fletch
    Take a look at http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph...wareComparison if you haven't done so already.

Quote Originally Posted by Fletch View Post
    Take a look at http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.ph...wareComparison if you haven't done so already.
    Thanks Fletch.
    Wow, there really IS little difference hardware-wise between the SB3 and SBR!