Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Group Discs bugged?

Trying to group my multi-discs, but it's kind of hit and miss.

I thought the only required tags was identical Album Title for all discs and that they have individual DISCNUMBER but some albums refuse to play nice, they are listed once for each disc.

I've tried deleting SC cache/db, reinstalling SC (v7.3.2), cutting/pasting tags in Mp3tag (no extended tags present), scan/full scan etc.

The logs doesn't give any clues, even after enabling more logging, file permissions are identical (this is a Linux server).

Some discs are grouped, some are not and I can't see any pattern to it.

(I assume my settings in SC is correct since some albums are grouped.)

System: Music -> Ears
    http://www.last.fm/user/Uluen

So pick one that works, one that doesn't, and post the tags from a couple of files of each. Also, for the albums that don't group, check all the tags on all the tracks for consistency.

Quote Originally Posted by Uluen View Post
    Trying to group my multi-discs, but it's kind of hit and miss.

I thought the only required tags was identical Album Title for all discs and that they have individual DISCNUMBER but some albums refuse to play nice, they are listed once for each disc.

I've tried deleting SC cache/db, reinstalling SC (v7.3.2), cutting/pasting tags in Mp3tag (no extended tags present), scan/full scan etc.

The logs doesn't give any clues, even after enabling more logging, file permissions are identical (this is a Linux server).

Some discs are grouped, some are not and I can't see any pattern to it.

(I assume my settings in SC is correct since some albums are grouped.)

Artist has to be consistent for each track as well. If you have different artists for any track in the disc group, set COMPILATION=1 on ALL tracks.
    You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
    Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
    Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
    Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.

One of the multi discs had a different file-naming scheme, would this make SC not group the albums?
    Album 1 had "01 - Artist - Title.flac", the other two had "1 - Artist - Title.flac".

Other than that I can't find anything wrong with my tags, but saving the files several times and doing a few complete rescans seems to be working.

Are the tracks in the same folder, or in different folders?

Are the non-grouping discs all »disc 1«, by chance?

(Thinking about bug 10583, just a wild guess …)

Quote Originally Posted by Moonbase View Post
    Are the tracks in the same folder, or in different folders?
    Each disc is in separate folders.

Are the non-grouping discs all »disc 1«, by chance?
    No, separate DISCNUM.

I reckon you have checked that all ALBUM tags are identical (no »Blah … (disc 1)« for instance).

From your posts it’s not clear if you use an indicator as to the total # discs, i.e. DISCTOTAL, TOTALDISCS, DISCC or DISCNUMBER=x/n style.

Also, be sure not to have DISCNUMBER=x/n plus a DISCTOTAL, TOTALDISCS or DISCC tag in any one file. (Use either-or.)

You might want to check (and probably try) that. Just guessing.
    Last edited by Moonbase; 2009-02-18 at 16:09.

I reckon you have checked that all ALBUM tags are identical (no »Blah … (disc 1)« for instance).
    Yes.

From your posts it’s not clear if you use an indicator as to the total # discs, i.e. DISCTOTAL, TOTALDISCS, DISCC or DISCNUMBER=x/n style.
    No, just DISCNUMBER=1,2,3 etc.

Also, be sure not to have DISCNUMBER=x/n plus a DISCTOTAL, TOTALDISCS or DISCC tag in any one file. (Use either-or.)
    Yes.

The only thing that I've found so far that could make the albums not grouping is the track numbering mentioned above, for one album at least.

Phew. I’m lost. I’d be happy to try your files on a system that has the patch for bug 10583 installed, or have a thourough look at the tags, only FLACs are really too big for sending (and it might incur legal problems).

Could you maybe create a »dummy« FLAC file (containing, say, 5s of pink noise or silence or the like), duplicate that a few times, and copy the tags of your non-grouping album 1:1 to it? Then try again on your setup, and if that also shows the same symptoms, upload these so we could give it a try?

Moonbase, I'll do that if and when I come across another album with the same problem, for now it looks like it's working like intended.