Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 19
  1. #1

    That was a very stupid thing to do.

    Whilst configuring my squeezebox 2 to automatically turn on my amp and select the CD option (IR blaster), I accidently connected a 9V supply to the 3.5mm socket. Hence the title. The Squeezebox turned itself on and there was a strong smell of fried semiconductor. The analogue outputs are no longer working but the digital out is. My question is: I am OK with a soldering iron so what have I most likey fried? Help!

  2. #2
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    124

    That was a very stupid thing to do.

    tobyjug wrote:
    > Whilst configuring my squeezebox 2 to automatically turn on my amp and
    > select the CD option (IR blaster), I accidently connected a 9V supply
    > to the 3.5mm socket. Hence the title. The Squeezebox turned itself on
    > and there was a strong smell of fried semiconductor. The analogue
    > outputs are no longer working but the digital out is. My question is: I
    > am OK with a soldering iron so what have I most likey fried? Help!


    Wow, the processor, network interface, display and spdif output still
    all work?! I think you are lucky.

    As far as I can tell no schematics are available. (This part of the
    slimdevices design is not open source like the server.) However I've
    noticed that "seanadams" ( profile:
    http://forums.slimdevices.com/member.php?u=3) said this: "The full
    schematics have never been released. However, I'm usually happy to
    answer specific questions." in this forum:
    http://forums.slimdevices.com/showthread.php?t=31187.

    Without the schematics I think people can only guess at what happened.
    If you back drove 3V or 5V logic with 9V you might have presented 9V to
    everything. Hence why I'm surprised anything works. But I would have
    guessed the logic (i.e. processor) would have failed before the analog
    output. Generally, the analog output is isolated to ensure digital
    noise does not creep into the signal.

    Any ways, on the hunch it might be easier to build what doesn't work
    external to the SB instead of repairing it, I came across this DAC project:

    Go here:
    http://www.ezdiyaudio.com/
    Find this project:
    Project 2: ezDAC

    There are even pictures using the SB as a source.


    ....have fun




  3. #3
    Founder, Slim Devices seanadams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,879
    The whole DAC/RCA/headphone side of the system is pretty well partitioned and runs on separate power regulators from the rest of it, so actually I'm not too surprised that the CPU etc was unaffected.

    But that doesn't mean it's easy to fix - there are about six active components that could have been cooked - DAC, op amp, headphone amp, and three regulators. If you look inside can you tell visually what's fried?

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    124

    That was a very stupid thing to do.

    seanadams wrote:
    > The whole DAC/RCA/headphone side of the system is pretty well
    > partitioned and runs on separate power regulators from the rest of it,
    > so actually I'm not too surprised that the CPU etc was unaffected.
    >
    > But that doesn't mean it's easy to fix - there are about six active
    > components that could have been cooked - DAC, op amp, headphone amp,
    > and three regulators. If you look inside can you tell visually what's
    > fried?


    I guess I'm confused here. (I don't have an SB w/an IR output.) Did
    you plug a 9 volt power supply into the IR output or the headphone output?

    Also, if you open it up, pay attention to the static electricity. This
    time of year (cold-n-dry (on the north side of the world)) it wouldn't
    take much to put it all out of working order.



  5. #5
    Just opened up the box and the 14pin dil package U11 looks fried. I can't read all the text on it but it ends in "17K"

  6. #6
    Senior Member funkstar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    4,071
    Quote Originally Posted by st2000 View Post
    I guess I'm confused here. (I don't have an SB w/an IR output.) Did you plug a 9 volt power supply into the IR output or the headphone output?
    The headphone output can be used as an IR output. It's also refered to as the Geek Port.

  7. #7
    Founder, Slim Devices seanadams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,879
    Quote Originally Posted by tobyjug View Post
    Just opened up the box and the 14pin dil package U11 looks fried. I can't read all the text on it but it ends in "17K"
    that part is just a CMOS switch - very common: http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...296-14854-1-ND

    However if the RCA outputs are not working then it probably means the DAC is fried too. that's U1, PCM1748KE. http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...e=PCM1748KE-ND

    Measure the voltage across C61 - you should get 5V. If not, then it means the 5v regulator (U12) is cooked. http://search.digikey.com/scripts/Dk...296-11118-1-ND

  8. #8
    There is 5V (well 4.9) accross C61 so at least somethings OK. I will replace the other two devices and see what happens. Thanks for your help.

  9. #9
    Well that wasn't easy. First real attempt at soldering SM components. Wasn't pretty. But it's working again, and it seems to sound better than it did before. Just had to change the analogue switch and DAC. Thanks for all your help guys.

  10. #10
    Founder, Slim Devices seanadams's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    2,879
    very good!

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •