Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Will this setup work?

Hi.
    Maybe a generous knowledgeable person can answer this!
    I using a Duet.
    I've a thin client (t5720) with a 2GB DOM drive.
    My ADSL gateway (ASUS WL600-g) has 2xUSB ports that I can connect a USB hard drive to (via FTP).
    Can I use the t5720 as the SC server (freenas, slimnas, SC)but leave the music files on the HD back at the router? I would like to connect the t5720 directly to the SBR in one room, router and HD in other room.
    Would the performance be adequate?
    Can I have the SC database and music files on separate drives?
    Would I need to create a symlink to the files?
    Your thoughts on this appreciated.
    Regards,
    Matt

if your asus supports samba or nfs then it will work, but probably not with freenas since you have to mount your usb drive via the asus onto the freenas server and this will not survive a reboot.
    Best is to either put your usb drive on the thinclient, or if the asus supports samba or nfs then don't use freenas but install a basic debian.
    That is what i did (i have only 1gb dome). This way you can also use the musicip service, which is very nice i think.

I've just built a t5710 with an 8GB DOM and done a minimal Debian install on it.

I've got my music stored on a NAS, connected to by a Samba client, and the MYSQL database on the DOM.

I'm up to just over 1GB used on the DOM with the OS, SqueezeCenter and the database for the 700 albums that I've managed to rip so far.

In your case I'd be inclined to attach the HDD directly to the t5720 since it already has USB2 connections and then attach the t5720 to your router via ethernet.

The decision then would be whether to put the database on DOM or on HDD. It's less of a decision for me with 8GB to play with, but you might find 2GB limiting if you have a huge collection.

Quote Originally Posted by paulster View Post
    The decision then would be whether to put the database on DOM or on HDD. It's less of a decision for me with 8GB to play with, but you might find 2GB limiting if you have a huge collection.
    I have a collection of 25000 songs and that is no problem with a 1gb dome as long as you install just the bare debian. I also have musicip which creates it own database.
    On 2GB you should not have a problem with 100.000 songs

I have an HP t5710 thin client (512MB flash&512MB RAM) which runs FreeNAS with Michael Herger's Slimnas. It mostly fits on the 512MB Disk on module (internal flash drive). I say mostly because Squeezecenter&slimnas actually live on my external USB drive. The FreeNAS part of the system will boot up without the USB drive attached (without squeezecenter running). I do it this way because I did not want the database file or any other frequently changing data to be written to the flash drive.

I used to run the box booting off an external flash drive and it was generally okay - but sometimes it would boot off the internal drive (with XPe). In the end I just installed it on the internal DOM.

Downside - ACPI does not work and it causes errors to the console (and system log file), unless you turn start FreeNAS with ACPI switched off - search this forum for a solution

Cheers
    Ant
    Last edited by ant.perry; 2009-01-29 at 16:42. Reason: just remembered some extra stuff
    Adelaide, Australia
    Squeezebox Classics
    Squeezebox Duets
    Squeezebox Touch

Might give it a miss...

Hi.
    Thanks to all that responded.
    It seems the idea of separating the USB disk (music) from the SC server is not that easy using the ASUS WL-600g as the router does not support SAMBA out of the box. It would need to be hacked - which is out of my realm.
    Interesting though..
    MFWalker

Question

Can someone tell me how to change the internal memory to a compact flash card?

Quote Originally Posted by kingskawn View Post
    Can someone tell me how to change the internal memory to a compact flash card?
    If you mean simply running the Touch's internal server using an SD card just plug in the SD card, you should see a pop up "attaching SD card", then a menu of several options.

If you mean actually taking Touch's internal memory and dumping it onto an SD card, I have no idea.