Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 11
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    3

    pimp your bathroom!

    the dream has been around for a while, being able to listen to my music everywhere. and controlling it from everywhere makes it even better.
    and the bathroom is also part of everywhere, isn't it?
    when you're sittin' on the throne, and for some reason a song you're REALLY not it the mood for starts playin', it makes your unloading business much more uncomfortable than necessary.
    and how about a nice bath (perferably for two), a glass o' pinot and your favourite jazz or hard rock or yodel, or mix of all that, dripping out ouf your bathroom wall...

    my answer to this was what you see on the following pictures...

    basically, i built a reversed aquarium, put the squeezebox inside and screwed it on the wall. some silicone for sealing, and off you go. as speakers i use a simple logitech X230 2.1 system. its waaaay loud enough for my bathroom and seems quite "steam resistant". worst case scenario: i'd have to buy anohter pair of X230 for some 60US$, but my squeezebox is safe.

    yeah... all in all, it's an expensive luxury, but thinking about all the time i spend in my bathroom... and when i get up and choose some music on my bedroom squeezebox, it's allready playin' when i get there to do the morning business.
    Last edited by rags; 2009-01-26 at 17:20.

  2. #2
    Senior Member iPhone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    3,295

    Safety First

    Quote Originally Posted by rags View Post
    the dream has been around for a while, being able to listen to my music everywhere. and controlling it from everywhere makes it even better.
    and the bathroom is also part of everywhere, isn't it?
    when you're sittin' on the throne, and for some reason a song you're REALLY not it the mood for starts playin', it makes your unloading business much more uncomfortable than necessary.
    and how about a nice bath (perferably for two), a glass o' pinot and your favourite jazz or hard rock or yodel, or mix of all that, dripping out ouf your bathroom wall...

    my answer to this was what you see on the following pictures...

    basically, i built a reversed aquarium, put the squeezebox inside and screwed it on the wall. some silicone for sealing, and off you go. as speakers i use a simple logitech X230 2.1 system. its waaaay loud enough for my bathroom and seems quite "steam resistant". worst case scenario: i'd have to buy anohter pair of X230 for some 60US$, but my squeezebox is safe.

    yeah... all in all, it's an expensive luxury, but thinking about all the time i spend in my bathroom... and when i get up and choose some music on my bedroom squeezebox, it's allready playin' when i get there to do the morning business.
    Please please please, tell me that power strip (or anything else that has power in there) is plugged into a GFI outlet and that it is secured to a wall twice.

    It is much safer to build speakers into the ceiling and have the SB3 or SBR in the attic or an access way. Best to put on a Playlist that doesn't need to be changed while bathing or while using the throne.

    Question for you: Where do most household deaths occur?
    iPhone
    Media Room:
    ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

    Living Room:
    Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

    Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
    Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
    Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
    Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
    Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
    Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
    Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

  3. #3
    Senior Member pippin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    14,763
    Well, _I_ _DO_ also have light in my bathroom...
    As long as he doesn't mount it in the shower...

    But I think I would not mount the SB3 in the aquarium, how do you get heat out of that? And also, these "sealed" installations tend to be only completely sealed against water getting _out_.

    So my choice (I'm running a similar project right now, though you will beat me for that one if you see it :-) ) would be to expose my SB to as much air as possible to let it dry up fast.
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Auchenblae
    Posts
    138

    Check your IP ratings vs the bathroom zone

    Nice work, but I'd check it against some bathroom and IP rating guidance...
    http://www.toplightco.com/acatalog/Z...__Ratings.html
    This link is UK guidance but it should be applicable to your situation, also best to check your local wiring regs. I tend to share iPhone's misgivings over the security of that power strip perched on top of your shower cabinet (?).
    The squeezebox experience is good, but its not 'to die for'.


    I'm also considering puting choons in my bathroom soon as its due for a complete makeover. I'm thinking about putting the amp in the adjoining room along with the SB in a wee window (like yours but recessed so only the front plate shows), and putting ceiling/wall mouted spkrs in. This way the power is in a separate room altogether and I could always get at the SB from behind via a removable panel on the dry side, and it 'breathes' into the wall void. IR extenders should take care of volume, power button, and other amp interactions.

    An even better option would be to get it all out of the room and control via a Controller, or dare I say it <looks over shoulder for lynch mob> get a sonos with a water resistant remote.

    Edit to add:- a bit like this would be better.
    http://www.avforums.com/forums/home-...ml#post7640924
    Last edited by nacmacfeegle; 2009-01-27 at 06:19.
    Custom mini itx server in a 1940s radio case, currently being revamped to add XBMC, Acer Revo as a stand-in. Favourite 7,500 tracks on the Touch USB server.
    Kitchen --- SB3>Aego M
    Conservatory --- >SB3 (custom case)>Musical Fidelity Tempest>Canon S50
    Lounge---SB Touch>yamaha 863>Kef3005SE\Sennheiser RS 170
    Bedroom---SB3>Audioengine A3
    Bathroom---Radio, now work in progress
    Gaming room/roving commission---Boom
    Control---Ipeng on Iphone,Pod and Pad
    More Audiofool than Audiophile!

  5. #5
    Senior Member pippin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    14,763
    If this would be a shower cabinet, I would agree, but to me this looks like a simple mirror cabinet, so as far as it's not too close to the shower I don't think it's going to kill you.
    Good thing is, a lot of today's equipment is 12V or even 5V so you can just put your power supplies in a somewhat safe place and just run the low voltage cables across your bathroom.
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

  6. #6
    Senior Member iPhone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    3,295

    Elecrtical Caution in wet areas

    Quote Originally Posted by pippin View Post
    If this would be a shower cabinet, I would agree, but to me this looks like a simple mirror cabinet, so as far as it's not too close to the shower I don't think it's going to kill you.
    Good thing is, a lot of today's equipment is 12V or even 5V so you can just put your power supplies in a somewhat safe place and just run the low voltage cables across your bathroom.
    I can't say exactly where this is located, but I made my comments based on what he said about taking a bath and what to me looks like the far end of a Shower/Tub tiled area setup IE the opposite end of where all the water comes out in a tile shower.

    And how cares if the devices are driven by DC, can you not see the power strip everything is plugged into? That would be 120 or 220VAC and a fairly quick death if it were to fall into a tub full of water without it being plugged into a GFI Outlet.

    Don't get me wrong, I thinks its a fairly nice idea and install for the first try. But when it comes to AC in an area that was designed for water use, it is always best to error on the farside of caution!
    iPhone
    Media Room:
    ModWright Platinum Signature Transporter, VTL TL-6.5 Signature Pre-Amp, Ayre MX-R Mono's, VeraStarr 6.4SE 6-channel Amp, Vandersteen Speakers: Quatro Wood Mains, VCC-5 Reference Center, four VSM-1 Signatures, Video: Runco RS 900 CineWide AutoScope 2.35:1, Vandersteen V2W Subwoofer

    Living Room:
    Transporter, ADCOM GTP-870HD, Cinepro 3K6SE III Gold, Vandersteen Model 3A Signature, Two 2Wq subs, VCC-2, Two VSM-1

    Office: Touch with Vandersteen VSM-1s
    Kitchen: Touch in-wall mount w/ Thiel Powerpoint 1.2s
    Bedroom: Squeezebox BOOM
    Bathroom: Squeezebox Radio
    Around the House: SliMP3, SB1, SB2, SB3
    Ford Thunderbird: SB Touch, USB drive
    Ford Expedition: SB Touch, USB drive

  7. #7
    Senior Member pippin's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    Berlin
    Posts
    14,763
    Quote Originally Posted by iPhone View Post
    And how cares if the devices are driven by DC, can you not see the power strip everything is plugged into? That would be 120 or 220VAC and a fairly quick death if it were to fall into a tub full of water without it being plugged into a GFI Outlet.
    Oh yes, I agree. If that's the case (this being above a bath tub or shower) than this is really dangerous.

    My comment about DC was more towards nacmacfeegle's and my own project.
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

  8. #8
    Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    Massachusetts, USA
    Posts
    75
    Judging from what appears to be a medicine cabinet under the 'sub' unit, I highly doubt this is in a shower/tub enclave. I personally have a bathroom system and it is driven by an SBR and t-amp in an enclosed cabinet wired to a pair of in-ceiling speakers. The speakers are an all-weather design to handle the moisture. It's tidy looking too. BTW, I don't ever try to control the music when taking a bath... wouldn't risk dropping my iPhone in the water!

    In any case, it's excellent advice to ALWAYS have GFI circuits on every power outlet in a bathroom.

  9. #9

    Exclamation

    Maybe there is a reason the OP hasn't updated this or responded to any questions. Rags?!!? Are you still there? Do we need to call for help?

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    Slough, UK
    Posts
    17

    Bathroom

    Hi,

    Reading this thread with interest.

    I too did a little bathroom setup, i bought some steam proof speakers from eBay and mounted it into some wallpaper covered MDF, and created a small shelf for the SB3 to sit on. SB3 powers the speakers with no additional amp.

    Only plug is into the shavers socket inside the bathroom cabinet. MDF sits in the gap between cabinet and ceiling.

    Pic is in this thread, last photo.

    http://forums.slimdevices.com/showth...=19817&page=91

    Its amazing how much music you listen to in the bathroom. And before you ask, no i dont use it whilst on the throne :-)

    M

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •