Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Anyone using Sony STR-DN1080 DLNA with LMS?

I'm looking for a new receiver to replace my Onkyo TX-NR515, which suffers from frequent HDMI audio drop-outs. I'm considering the Sony STR-DN1080, which seems to be DLNA-capable. I was wondering whether anyone here has the DN1080, and can tell me whether it can be recognised as a DLNA renderer by LMS? (using the DLNA plugin)?
    The other receiver that I'm considering is the Denon X2600H, but I don't think that has DLNA support.

Quote Originally Posted by itm View Post
    I'm looking for a new receiver to replace my Onkyo TX-NR515, which suffers from frequent HDMI audio drop-outs. I'm considering the Sony STR-DN1080, which seems to be DLNA-capable. I was wondering whether anyone here has the DN1080, and can tell me whether it can be recognised as a DLNA renderer by LMS? (using the DLNA plugin)?
    The other receiver that I'm considering is the Denon X2600H, but I don't think that has DLNA support.
    Unless you have 24 bit music you may be better off looking for a Receiver with AirPlay or Chromecast built in as Phillipe's bridge plugins for these protocols (?) are more likely to work out of the box than the uPnP bridge if that is what you mean.

Using native DLNA should work but control is far far better if the device uses any of the bridges and therefore becomes a full SB player.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng

Appreciate this is an old'ish post but the Sony STR-DN1080 is fine as a DLNA player or renderer. Used both with LMS quite a bit in the past. It's also got ChromeCast built in so works well with the great ChromeCast plugin.

Do make sure you have the latest firmware loaded on the AMP if you plan to use ChromeCast via Ethernet as it had a few gremlins in older versions but stabilised nicely.

That said, I just feed one of my Duet's into it these days, but I am odd like that .

Quote Originally Posted by DJWillis View Post
    Appreciate this is an old'ish post but the Sony STR-DN1080 is fine as a DLNA player or renderer. Used both with LMS quite a bit in the past. It's also got ChromeCast built in so works well with the great ChromeCast plugin.

Do make sure you have the latest firmware loaded on the AMP if you plan to use ChromeCast via Ethernet as it had a few gremlins in older versions but stabilised nicely.

That said, I just feed one of my Duet's into it these days, but I am odd like that .
    Thanks for that. I've heard people say that the STR-DN1080 has some annoying bugs - e.g. unwanted menus popping up when switching sources, losing internet connection every time the amp resumes from standby,...
    Have you noticed any issues with it?

Thanks for that. I've heard people say that the STR-DN1080 has some annoying bugs - e.g. unwanted menus popping up when switching sources, losing internet connection every time the amp resumes from standby,...
    Have you noticed any issues with it?
    Can't say I have seen those issues but I hard wire all devices like this (WiFi for something fixed is just a pain) so that may mean I have not seen the network issues.

Menus popping up? Nope, only the usual poorly setup HDMI CEC stuff on TV's casing issues, but that is common to any amp that tries to support it. I just turn it off. No odd menus jumping up. To be honest, once you have it setup I suspect you will just turn off most of the OSD stuff in day to day use .

Also use a Harmony setup so I may not be your most common user but I have been very happy with it for the ££'s.

Quote Originally Posted by DJWillis View Post
    Exactly, why not spend $50 on a RPi and just run Squeezebox natively into an unused HDMI input?

Quote Originally Posted by Apesbrain View Post
    Exactly, why not spend $50 on a RPi and just run Squeezebox natively into an unused HDMI input?
    Presumably if the receiver has built-in Chromecast then neither the RPi nor the Squeezebox is required?

As a matter of interest, if using an RPi would you get a decent enough DAC bundled for $50?

As a matter of interest, if using an RPi would you get a decent enough DAC bundled for $50?
    If connecting via HDMI then the DAC question is pushed further down the line.
    Paul Webster
    http://dabdig.blogspot.com
    Author Radio France (FIP etc) plugin

Presumably if the receiver has built-in Chromecast then neither the RPi nor the Squeezebox is required?

Last I knew, the Chromecast bridge was not capable of synchronizing with other players. If that's still true, it could be a strike against that option. But if synchronizing players is not important it should be perfectly satisfactory.
    LMS (recent) running on Debian X86_64; 5 Squeezelite players (3 in PiCorePlayer), 3 players connected via Airplay Bridge
    1 Squeezebox Radio (upgraded UE Smart Radio) now mostly retired

Quote Originally Posted by RobbH View Post
    Last I knew, the Chromecast bridge was not capable of synchronizing with other players. If that's still true, it could be a strike against that option. But if synchronizing players is not important it should be perfectly satisfactory.
    Doesn’t that AVR also have AirPlay? The AirPlay bridge should sync.
    VB2.4 storage QNAP TS419p (NFS)
    Living Room - Joggler & SB3 -> Onkyo TS606 -> Celestion F20s
    Office - Pi3+Sreen -> Sony TAFE320 -> Celestion F10s / Pi2+DAC & SB3 -> Onkyo CRN755 -> Wharfedale Modus Cubes
    Dining Room -> SB Boom
    Kitchen -> UE Radio (upgraded to SB Radio)
    Bedroom (Bedside) - Pi2+DAC ->ToppingTP21 ->AKG Headphones
    Bedroom (TV) - SB Touch ->Sherwood AVR ->Mordaunt Short M10s
    Everything controlled by iPeng