Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.

Is there an alternative to MP3Tunes?

I loved the concept of MP3Tunes and started uploading CD's, but noticed some sort of bug that prevents certain tracks from showing up in my locker - until I changed the ID3 Track number. Also, their Uploader ActiveX takes *forever* to load, and it needs to reload each time you visit the site. I was willing to wait for support to get back to me but they haven't and their forum is a spam mess. And after thinking a bit, I don't want to subsidize the owner's apparent lawsuit fetish.

So I was wondering if there is another service from which I can download my MP3s. In the meantime, I have put my MP3's on a home computer and installed the sqeezenetwork software. It works great but I'd love to not have to walk to another room to turn the PC on just to access my MP3s.

Thanks for any help.

(I am glad I found this site - posting at Logitech's site seems to be fruitless with all the 0 reply threads)

I haven't heard of any similar services to MP3Tunes, and there certainally aren't any others that integrate with SqueezeNetwork at the moment.

Sorry.

Where are you located (country)? If in the US, Rhapsody has on-demand listening and integrates with Squeezenetwork. Depending on what your musical tastes are, you may find it duplicates a large part of your library. There are technical problems for some users (at the Rhapsody end) at the moment - though I think now resolved - but most people are using it without incident AFAIK.

If outside the UK, the options are pretty limited. I've also given up on mp3tunes (after uploading all of my library) due to patchy support at their end. It works fine with Squeezenetwork, but not well with my N800 and not at all with my N95 8gb, so ended up being less than useful for me when travelling.

Last.fm has said it will introduce an on-demand listening service at some point in the near future, and I'm hoping (as someone outside the US) this can be extended to Squeezenetwork when it comes in.
    Who am I on LAST.FM?
    "Siduhe Loved Tracks radio got the thumbs up. Feedback included: yeah, it's good... got the odd dodgy track tho..." (c) ModelCitizen

Thanks for your answers. Siduhe, I am in the US. I might give Rhapsody a try but for now my goal is my own CD collection, which is quite huge.

In the meantime, I will hope that Logitech can offer an alternative to MP3Tunes.

Hmmm...
    Well, if you've got a music server and you've got an ISP connection, then you might find that the best replacement for MP3Tunes is your own server.
    There are a number of ways to do it - check the wiki.

Siduhe - I'm using an N800 as well (diablo), but haven't managed "anywhere there's internet" roaming with that device.
    Is that what you're doing? Did you just expose port 900 on the internet and connect via browser / stream player?
    I'm in the middle of figuring out a way to get a "secure" connection from the N900. Looks like OpenVPN might be the solution as the firewall I'm using (Snapgear) is supposed to be able to do that - just no GUI. I've spent a few weeks finding out that it really can't act like a Cisco router VPN. Have you found a better way?
    What I'd really like to do is port squeezeslave over to diablo - but the SDK is a major PITA to get set up, so I'll likely never find time to do it
    Last edited by bobkoure; 2008-12-31 at 06:01. Reason: why do I make typos and then never see them in preview?

Mp3tunes can do it

Quote Originally Posted by botski View Post
    Thanks for your answers. Siduhe, I am in the US. I might give Rhapsody a try but for now my goal is my own CD collection, which is quite huge.

In the meantime, I will hope that Logitech can offer an alternative to MP3Tunes.
    It works quite well once things are uploaded. It just takes time. Mp3tunes have just introduced a new service (free) where you can mail in cd's with all your files and they will put them into your locker. This might be a good alternative for you.

Quote Originally Posted by brdbointx View Post
    Mp3tunes have just introduced a new service (free) where you can mail in cd's with all your files and they will put them into your locker. This might be a good alternative for you.
    Thats pretty cool. Never underestimate the bandwidth of a jiffy bag full of CD's

just for the record, I absolutely love mp3tunes - I am customer now for quite some time and I can only tell that it is perfect! uploading 40gb took a while, there is a minor glitch here and there, but now everything is perfect
    sb3+squeezenetwork/mp3tunes => no need messing around with SAN+SC and so on - I love it