Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

J.River playlists on SC

While I love the SD products (I own a TP and an SB3), I do not like the playlist function on SC. I find it much easier to make them on J. River, which I mostly use as a library manager and (re)tagger. However, I want to play them on SC. Does anyone know if it is possible to import/scan J.River playlists into SC? If so, how is it done?

Thanks for any help provided.

You can export them manually from J. River by right clicking on the playlist and choosing export. Export it to SC's playlist folder with the options:
    M3U Playlist (simple)
    Output range: all
    everything else blank

Then rescan playlists from Squeezecenter.

I have several smartlists in J. River that I export on a schedule every night prior to the automated SC rescan, so they are picked up new each day. Media Center's built-in scheduler will do the automatic export of all playlists to your Music folder, and then you just need a batch file or sync program to copy the lists you want to your SC playlist folder.
    Last edited by MeSue; 2008-12-04 at 16:12.
    Sue
    "If you're happy and you know it turn the volume up and blow it out."

In Use: 1 Touch | 1 Booms | 6 Radios (Sold: 1 Boom | 1 Duet | 1 SB2)
    HP Proliant N54G | Logitech Media Server 7.9 | iPhone & iPad w/ iPeng
    Find me on Last.FM | Twitter | Rhapsody
    My Journey to Musical Bliss | Squeezebox is Dead. Long Live Squeezebox.

Excellent. That makes ne very happy. Thanks much.

OK. No success yet. I tried to export to /raid/data/module/squeezecenter/system/etc/playlists, which should be my playlist folder. However, when I try to export J. River says the folder does not exist. Any ideas?

Do you want to export them manually, or automatically on a schedule? And are you using Media Center or Jukebox?
    Sue

I think I was trying a manual export, but it would be nice to have it done automatically.

I am using Media Center 12.

I run SC on a Thecus n5200Pro NAS. I tried exporting again and added //n5200:9009/ to the playlist folder address. That did not help either.

Any input is appreciated. Thanks.

A key thing is whether SC and J.River see the path to your music in the same way - as you've done a manual import, I guess they do.

If so, add a shortcut (to the folder which holds the playlists) into the top level folder of your SC music library folder. SC should then scan it along with your music library and pickup the playlists.

How you add the shortcut will depend on what OS you are running.

Also, the setting for the playlist folder in SC should be the /raid/data/module/squeezecenter/system/etc/playlists folder address. Maybe try this before the shortcut?
    Who am I on LAST.FM?
    "Siduhe Loved Tracks radio got the thumbs up. Feedback included: yeah, it's good... got the odd dodgy track tho..." (c) ModelCitizen

Okay, same version as me so that makes it easy to explain. One thing that might make a difference is the music path to the files. Hopefully you use UNC paths in both SC and JRMC, so the paths will be the same in both programs.

To export them manually:
    Find your playlist in the tree of the MC desktop GUI. It doesn't matter if it is a static playlist or a smartlist.
    Right click and choose "Export Playlist..."
    A dialog box will appear. For save in, browse to the folder you have designated in SC for playlists. Tick the options for M#U playlist (simple) and Output all, then click OK. If it is a large playlist it might take a few seconds.

You can only export one playlist at a time this way.

To export all playlists automatically on a schedule:
    In MC Options > General, make sure you have it set to run Media Server on Windows Startup so the scheduled task can run.
    In the tree of MC, scroll down and expand "Services & Plugins."
    Click on Scheduler.
    Click "Add Task"
    For description, type a name for the task.
    For program, enter: C:\Windows\System32\MC12.exe
    For arguments, enter: /MCC 20004, 1
    To test, you can tick off the box to run "now" but then you will want to go back in and set a daily run time and recurrence pattern.

I have mine run at 5 AM Avery day because my SC rescan occurs at 6 AM. If you have a lot of playlists, it can take a while, so allow time for it it finish.

The playlists will go into a "Playlist" folder in the same location where your MC12 library is stored. I've moved mine, so I don't know where yours would be stored. You can check its location in Library Manager in MC12. If you have playlists groups in MC, it will create a folder for each group. I have the smartlists I want available to SC in a group called SqueezeCenter so they all go to one folder.

Then I have a file sync program that watches this folder for changes and automatically copies the files to my SC playlist folder.

Hope that helps!
    Sue

Quote Originally Posted by Siduhe View Post
    If so, add a shortcut (to the folder which holds the playlists) into the top level folder of your SC music library folder. SC should then scan it along with your music library and pickup the playlists.
    This won't work because J. River stores playlists as part of its library in proprietary files. They are not in a format that SC can read until you export them. The message I just posted explains how to export them to a SC-readable format either manually or automatically.

I don't know how to edit the wiki, but if anyone wants to copy this there, feel free...

Edit: Though your suggestion of a shortcut could be used instead of using a sync program to copy the exported playlist files to the SC playlist folder.
    Sue

Thanks again. However, I am still having the problem that when I browse to save in, I cannot find the SC playist folder and when I enter the address for the folder (/raid/et), it says no such folder exists.