Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Controller or alternative (iPod touch/iPhone)?

I'm planning to buy some remote solution for my one Transporter and two Squeezeboxes setup. But I'm uncertain if I should buy the Controller or a iPod touch (or Iphone) with some of the iPeng, iSqueeze/Squeemote, Squidgy software. The Controller i 370$ and the iPod touch (8gb) is 270$ (I'm in Denmark). The large touch-screen on the touch looks very nice and it is cheaper, but:
    - how is speed / responsiveness?
    - what solution is more stable?
    - how is the life of the battery?
    - what solution is the most easy to scroll through artists / find an artist in a large music-collection?
    - what solution can be customised the most? (now and in the future)
    - can Custombrowse be used on the Itouch?
    - will there be any differences using iPeng, Squidgy on the touch compared to iPhone?
    - other important differences?

I have read about the Controller and the iPeng, Squidgy in the forums but havn't found much/any comparisons. Any thoughts is welcome!

Only Squidgy is publicly available; I doubt the beta-testers for the other apps will comment until released on the AppStore.

As of now, I find the Controller with CustomBrowse a much more useful remote. Squidgy simply can't cope with the number of albums in my library.
    Last edited by amcluesent; 2008-11-23 at 03:46.

Quote Originally Posted by jazztime View Post
    I'm planning to buy some remote solution for my one Transporter and two Squeezeboxes setup. But I'm uncertain if I should buy the Controller or a iPod touch (or Iphone) with some of the iPeng, iSqueeze/Squeemote, Squidgy software. The Controller i 370$ and the iPod touch (8gb) is 270$ (I'm in Denmark). The large touch-screen on the touch looks very nice and it is cheaper, but:
    - how is speed / responsiveness?
    - what solution is more stable?
    - how is the life of the battery?
    - what solution is the most easy to scroll through artists / find an artist in a large music-collection?
    - what solution can be customised the most? (now and in the future)
    - can Custombrowse be used on the Itouch?
    - will there be any differences using iPeng, Squidgy on the touch compared to iPhone?
    - other important differences?

I have read about the Controller and the iPeng, Squidgy in the forums but havn't found much/any comparisons. Any thoughts is welcome!
    $370 for 1 controller, are you sure? that sounds very expensive, I didn't pay that much for my Duet here in the UK.

I have 2 controllers and 1 iPhone and have been on the beta test for iSqueeze (Squeemote).

To be honest I have been frustrated with the controllers, the wifi reception is poor and they always seem to lose their connection to the server. Also I find the wheel inferior to using the touchscreen.

Using my iPhone is a real joy, it's quick responsive and squeemote (and I guess iPeng) is designed like the iPod player so is real easy to use.

Somethings are missing from Squeemote such as a random playlist option, access to LastFM but I believe Luke has added (is adding?) these to the final release. The application is also prone to crashing occasionally but it doesn't take long to reload.

For me if those prices are correct it is a no brainer, the iTouch (or iPhone) is definitely the way to go.

Quote Originally Posted by mattybain View Post
    $370 for 1 controller, are you sure? that sounds very expensive, I didn't pay that much for my Duet here in the UK.

I have 2 controllers and 1 iPhone and have been on the beta test for iSqueeze (Squeemote).

To be honest I have been frustrated with the controllers, the wifi reception is poor and they always seem to lose their connection to the server. Also I find the wheel inferior to using the touchscreen.

Using my iPhone is a real joy, it's quick responsive and squeemote (and I guess iPeng) is designed like the iPod player so is real easy to use.

Somethings are missing from Squeemote such as a random playlist option, access to LastFM but I believe Luke has added (is adding?) these to the final release. The application is also prone to crashing occasionally but it doesn't take long to reload.

For me if those prices are correct it is a no brainer, the iTouch (or iPhone) is definitely the way to go.
    I'm looking forward to trying both the new ipeng and the squeezemote on my son's touch as he is kind enough to let me use it at night. He's 16 and part of the loan for it was that I get to use it for the SB3. I hope they hurry up and approve them before he cuts me off.
    If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use is the rule.

HTTP://www.last.fm/user/nonreality

Controller or alternative (iPod touch/iPhone)?

Quoting jazztime (jazztime.3jbpzn1227435901 (AT) no-mx (DOT) forums.slimdevices.com):

>
    > I'm planning to buy some remote solution for my one Transporter and two
    > Squeezeboxes setup. But I'm uncertain if I should buy the Controller or
    > a iPod touch (or Iphone) with some of the iPeng, iSqueeze/Squeemote,
    > Squidgy software. The Controller i 370$ and the iPod touch (8gb) is
    > 270$ (I'm in Denmark). The large touch-screen on the touch looks very
    > nice and it is cheaper, but:

Squidgy is nice, fast and responsive. Can't wait for iPeng.

I have a Controller and a couple of iPhones-my opinion after using
    both is that the iPhone(touch) is a great 'personal' remote that is
    likely to always be with you, but for a multi-person household
    having a 'traditional' remote like the Controller laying around to
    be picked up and used is extremely convenient.

I spent a large chunk of time listening yesterday while working on
    some computer issues, with both my iPhone and Controller next to me.
    Every time, it was more convenient to pick up the Controller to make
    a quick change to what was playing - fast forward, check the song
    title etc.

My two cents.

dd

Quote Originally Posted by ddewey View Post
    I spent a large chunk of time listening yesterday while working on some computer issues, with both my iPhone and Controller next to me. Every time, it was more convenient to pick up the Controller to make
    a quick change to what was playing - fast forward, check the song
    title etc.
    Indeed, looking at this somewhat objective the controller is better. The iPod Touch I use does have more gadget-impact because it can do so much more than the controller and I think that this is a big reason for many posters here to prefer it... doesn't mean it's more practical for controlling SC.

Other poster are just very enthousiastic about one of the applications which colors comparisons and I think a number don't even have the controller ;-)

My advise would be to get both! oh... and the iTouch apps must have a party mode!

ciao!
    Nick.

You are right, it depends on what you want to do.
    The controller is better for quickly making simple changes (pause, skip) while the iPhone apps are better for browsing and selecting content and managing your playlist.
    At least iPeng is much, much better as soon as you need to control more than one player.
    Just my 2cts.
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

Quote Originally Posted by pippin View Post
    The controller is better for quickly making simple changes (pause, skip)
    Why is that? Because of the dedicated buttons? Couldn't this be addressed in the iApplication by having a quickly accessible screen with a similar set of control buttons? And maybe an option to use this screen as a screensaver, so that when the iPhone/Touch is sitting idle, the screen comes up, allowing a user to quickly make simple changes.

Quote Originally Posted by JJZolx View Post
    Why is that? Because of the dedicated buttons? Couldn't this be addressed in the iApplication by having a quickly accessible screen with a similar set of control buttons? And maybe an option to use this screen as a screensaver, so that when the iPhone/Touch is sitting idle, the screen comes up, allowing a user to quickly make simple changes.
    I'm checking some options. But most of the available ones (like using the hardware buttons) are forbidden by apple.
    And Apple IS picky on UI stuff, I can tell you!
    On iPeng, once you disable the screen saver any player control is one click away at max.
    ---
    learn more about iPeng, the iPhone and iPad remote for the Squeezebox and
    Logitech UE Smart Radio as well as iPeng Party, the free Party-App,
    at penguinlovesmusic.com
    New: iPeng 9, the Universal App for iPhone, iPad and Apple Watch

I'm finding the iPod Touchscreen perfect for browsing through albums & artists.

If you had a small music library then the scroll wheel on the SBC would be OK but it is unusable with a large collection - we went back to the standard remote with it's number/alpha keys just because of this. Having an "alphabet" scrollbar on the iPod touchscreen makes this very easy to use.

The horizontal album cover display on the iPod looks OK but it doesn't have an "alphabet" scrollbar so it is hard to navigate.

I think the combination of the standard remote (long battery life, one-click for most functions) and an iPod Touch remote (easy navigation, searching, visual display) is pretty compelling. I have two controllers but I can't see them getting much use.

Regards, Steve.