Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

5.1 not working anymore

Hi,

I successfully ripped and played about 30 DTS and Dolby 5.1 tracks a few months ago. Worked flawless.

Alas, after an upgrade to the latest SqueezeCenter (7.2.1 - 23630 ReadyNAS) and the Squeezebox V3(firmware 113), my files are not recognized as 5.1 anymore; my receiver plays them in stereo mode, which of course gives only noise.

I checked the settings on the server and SB; the files are in "native" mode and volume control on SB is disabled.

does anyone have suggestions what caused the setup to stop working - and even better, ideas for a fix?

Thx, Karel

5.1 not working anymore

> Alas, after an upgrade to the latest SqueezeCenter (7.2.1 - 23630

What have you been using before?

Michael

How should that work? I thought that the Classic has only a stereo decoder for right and left channel.
    Or could this happen with the SPDIF connector of the Classic and the stream will be cut through without changing it?
    WHS Acer H340 and Vortexbox with SC7.6.1; Touch;SB3;Softsqueeze and Boom

Quote Originally Posted by mherger View Post
    What have you been using before?
    I think it was a 6.x version, the SlimDevices-branded version of the server. I don't know the firmware rev of SBV3 that I was using.

Sorry for the lack of information -but I'm stumped about this. It used to work fine!
    Last edited by kzuiderveld; 2008-11-18 at 07:21.

Quote Originally Posted by bassoonde View Post
    How should that work? I thought that the Classic has only a stereo decoder for right and left channel.
    Or could this happen with the SPDIF connector of the Classic and the stream will be cut through without changing it?
    Yup, streams should be passed unchanged through the SPDIF connector. The fact that it does not work suggests that the stream is being changed; but the settings that might cause this to happen (volume control on SB, file settings on server) seem to be set correctly.

Replay gain would also affect this functionality check that RG is not used and remove RG tags from the files if they are applied by mistake by some other software.

Transcoding to lossy formats by mistake, check that bitrate limiting is not on etc.

SC has an uncanny ability to loose settings when uppgrading, better check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by kzuiderveld View Post
    Hi,

I successfully ripped and played about 30 DTS and Dolby 5.1 tracks a few months ago. Worked flawless.

Alas, after an upgrade to the latest SqueezeCenter (7.2.1 - 23630 ReadyNAS) and the Squeezebox V3(firmware 113), my files are not recognized as 5.1 anymore; my receiver plays them in stereo mode, which of course gives only noise.

I checked the settings on the server and SB; the files are in "native" mode and volume control on SB is disabled.

does anyone have suggestions what caused the setup to stop working - and even better, ideas for a fix?

Thx, Karel
    Maybe some -settings- are different in SC 7.2.1 against Slimserver 6.x
    Read this Wiki-page (again) http://wiki.slimdevices.com/index.php/Play_DVD_Tracks
    to enable/disable some settings.

5.1 with SB3

Thank you for this info. I didn't know this. I searched a little and found this link to an swedish site. There is a possibility to download a few tracks for free.
    http://www.sr.se/cgi-bin/mall/index.asp?ProgramID=2446
    WHS Acer H340 and Vortexbox with SC7.6.1; Touch;SB3;Softsqueeze and Boom

Quote Originally Posted by bassoonde View Post
    I searched a little and found this link to an swedish site. There is a possibility to download a few tracks for free.
    http://www.sr.se/cgi-bin/mall/index.asp?ProgramID=2446
    Swedish radio has been broadcasting DTS for around 5 years IIRC, perhaps longer. I've some demo music and comedy stuff burnt to CD from the early days which is of extremely high quality and the comedy is very funny in 5.1.

Thanks for the link. I'm going to try some more of their DTS output.

Quote Originally Posted by Mnyb View Post
    Replay gain would also affect this functionality check that RG is not used and remove RG tags from the files if they are applied by mistake by some other software.

Transcoding to lossy formats by mistake, check that bitrate limiting is not on etc.

SC has an uncanny ability to loose settings when uppgrading, better check them out.
    I can rule out any issue with the files resulting from dts-wav-flac conversion - the files used to work fine, so that's not the problem.

I found an issue: volume control was reported as enabled by the SqueezeServer and as disabled by the SB3 display. Changed that in the settings and it made a difference: rather than hearing "white" noise, I don't hear anything now. The receiver does not identify the stream...

I'm stumped - any more suggestions?