Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

playlists...best place to make 'em?

i find the web interface nearly un-usable. I have noticed a number of programs (WinAmp etc.) can create their own playlists with an interface that is much better/intuitive. Unf. these playlists do NOT seem to be usable by SqueezeCenter.

Is there a program out there that people use that is quick/easy/intuitive for making playlists that are SB3 compatible??

thanks!

You can use any program that can save/export an M3U playlist. You need to put the playlists in the Squeezecenter playlist folder, then do a rescan music library > only scan playlists.

As far as the Web interface, some people find the classic interface to be faster than the default. You can change this from Settings > Interface > Web Interface.
    Sue
    "If you're happy and you know it turn the volume up and blow it out."

In Use: 1 Touch | 1 Booms | 6 Radios (Sold: 1 Boom | 1 Duet | 1 SB2)
    HP Proliant N54G | Logitech Media Server 7.9 | iPhone & iPad w/ iPeng
    Find me on Last.FM | Twitter | Rhapsody
    My Journey to Musical Bliss | Squeezebox is Dead. Long Live Squeezebox.

Quote Originally Posted by jsunandmax View Post
    i find the web interface nearly un-usable. I have noticed a number of programs (WinAmp etc.) can create their own playlists with an interface that is much better/intuitive. Unf. these playlists do NOT seem to be usable by SqueezeCenter.

Is there a program out there that people use that is quick/easy/intuitive for making playlists that are SB3 compatible??

thanks!
    Assuming you are on windows, just use WMP and be sure to save in m3u format as the other poster stated. M3U is not the default for WMP but you can override it. Then scan it in via SC. viola.

You can create your playlists in WinAmp, but you need to edit the saved playlist with notepad and replace all \ with / in order to use it with SC. Looks like m3u isn't m3u after all.

Cheers
    Last edited by diwander; 2008-09-23 at 16:38. Reason: typo

Media Monkey does a good job of creating playlists, they just need exporting and then scanning with Squeezecenter.

Si.

Quote Originally Posted by diwander View Post
    You can create your playlists in WinAmp, but you need to edit the saved playlist with notepad and replace all \ with / in order to use it with SC. Looks like m3u isn't m3u after all.

Cheers
    My winamp generated playlists work fine. Maybe cus i'm running my SC on windows?

playlists = itunes

If anyone is interested in complex playlists itunes is the way to go. Itunes is the master of playlists. I currently have 270 playlists from a database of 10,000 tracks in 5,000 albums

as long as had SC on windows, i used personal playlist manager plugin for winamp. setting up was a bit tricky (getting the drive mappings and paths just right), but once done i could add a song to my custom playlists simply by checking the checkbox next to the appropriate playlist! it generated and edited (!) the .m3u files directly, so the only thing i needed to do after modifying them was rescan playlists in SC. VERY convenient.

but alas... :-(

i moved to a linux-based qnap nas server and linux's paths are completely different to windows. i managed to "convert" the playlists by finding paths in the "windows m3u" and replacing them with paths for a "linux m3u".

but now i can not open and/or edit the playlists anymore on windows due to incompatible paths.

how does everyone else maintain their playlists on their linux boxes?

I've sent you a PM in response to your other post (on the same topic).
    Who am I on LAST.FM?
    "Siduhe Loved Tracks radio got the thumbs up. Feedback included: yeah, it's good... got the odd dodgy track tho..." (c) ModelCitizen

Quote Originally Posted by ajmitchell View Post
    If anyone is interested in complex playlists itunes is the way to go. Itunes is the master of playlists. I currently have 270 playlists from a database of 10,000 tracks in 5,000 albums
    I kinda want to play around with the new itunes just for playlists but I don't remember how to get them into SqueezeCenter. I don't want to use itunes for anything else just to make them and get them into SC.
    If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use is the rule.

HTTP://www.last.fm/user/nonreality