Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Help - Confused Newbie

Hi
    Help please - I am torn between buying (this weekend) a Squeezebox Duet or a Sonos system. I want the system operable in two room to start with..
    Am I right in saying that my Logitech Harmony remote control will not work at all with the duet and that unlike the Sonos, there is no Ipod touch remote application - I really dont want more than one remote control, but could live with the itouch as a controller - are there any IR controlled Squeezebox products that offer a similar service to the Duet - whilst the remote does look nice, I'm very keen to have one remote for my setup throughout the house!!
    Internet radio is crucial of course, but so is the ability to access my itunes library somehow without the computer being on....
    thanks
    Alex

TBH, Sonos does sound the better option for you as you want to go multi-room and customised controller right off. Your dealer should help you install and configure - you should expect a service for the premium price.
    Last edited by amcluesent; 2008-11-20 at 01:21.

thanks - i was hoping for some Squeezebox encouragement as it seems so much better priced...a further question though, could I have a Duet downstairs and a Squeezebox boom upstairs - both connected to the same software suite??

Yes, you can have both a Duet and a Boom connected to the same SqueezeCenter.

There are several iPod Touch controllers available or due soon.

Most mature (but, I am told, slowest) is the iPeng plugin. This is a plugin to the main SqueezeCenter that allows Safari on the iTouch to provide a decent interface to SqueezeCenter.

The iPeng native application and the Squeemote native app are making their way through the AppStore, and the Squidgy native app is, I gather, already available. Look through the other forums for discussions of all these.

sorry - more questions....is it possible to access my itunes library without the computer being on all the time??

As there are a few itocuh remote applications, the Duet seems like a sensible choice

Sorry for all the questions - its just I can not find a person to talk these issues through with face to face- hence all the questions on the forum...please excuse me but I am so very confused!

Quote Originally Posted by alexbartman View Post
    I am torn between buying (this weekend) a Squeezebox Duet or a Sonos system.
    Well, it's a big investment... if you really are torn between the two, you might be wise to not take the plunge this weekend.

Take some time to understand both products, and to evaluate the online communities for the products. (I guess Sonos has a forum with equally helpful - but probably less handsome, of course - regulars)

are there any IR controlled Squeezebox products that offer a similar service to the Duet - whilst the remote does look nice, I'm very keen to have one remote for my setup throughout the house!!
    A single Controller can control any number of devices - from original Slimp3s to the latest Boom and everything in-between. Even the Controller itself can be a music player.

Internet radio is crucial of course, but so is the ability to access my itunes library somehow without the computer being on....
    Internet radio we can do - and do very well. I understand that SqueezeCenter works well with (non-DRM) music in iTunes, but I can't vouch for that personally.

Accessing music on a machine which isn't switched on... well, that may take more voodoo than either SlimDevices or Sonos can manage ;-)

sits just I can not find a person to talk these issues through with face to face- hence all the questions on the forum...please excuse me but I am so very confused!
    You could start a thread called "Anyone in Denver willing to demonstrate Duet and Boom?"

There just might be someone nearby...

Matthew (Nottingham, UK)

Lightbulb

sorry - more questions....is it possible to access my itunes library without the computer being on all the time??
    It can be done with the Squeezebox (try searching the forums for NAS), but you always need something to run the squeezecenter software application on. The Sonos on the other hand is UPnP, so it can acces music from for instance a UPnP ethernet hard disk and then you don't need an expensive NAS nor a running computer.
    Et in Arcadia ego...

IR Control-able Squeezeboxes

As part of the original question - YES, there are IR controllable squeezeboxes. ONLY the SBR (the receiver-half of the Duet) is not IR-controllable. The SB "Classic" (aka Squeezebox3) is available, is IR controllable, AND has a nice display. You could get a Duet and a Classic - that would provide 2 zones of players, one of which is IR controllable (the classic) which could be controlled also by universal remote (e.g., Harmony) AND the controller which is part of the Duet package can be used to control BOTH squeezeboxes (and any future SBs you will add).

As an extension to that - why bother with the Duet at all? If you don't want the Controller (you say you want to use the Harmony One or Touch for control purposes) just buy as many SB Classics as you want zones. Then use the Harmony to control via IR, or iPeng or any of the iPhone/Touch apps which are coming out. I don't see the point in getting the Duet if all you want is a player...