Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Results 1 to 4 of 4
  1. #1
    Senior Member JadeMonkee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    206

    Incorrectly marked favourite: two albums with same name

    Hello again,
    In my music collection, I have (at least) two albums with the same name.
    I favorited one, Grand Slam by Richard Dorfmeister vs. Madrid de los Austrias, and when I navigated to the favorites list in SC, it showed the album art for the album Grand Slam by Spiderbait.
    When I clicked on it, it showed some search parameters that I don't remember and didn't note down, instead of showing the album tracks (I've since removed it from my favorites list, sorry).
    Is there a better way for favorites to be handled?
    2x Squeezebox Classics | 2x Squeezebox Booms | 2x Squeezebox Receivers | 1x Raspberry Pi 2 B w/ piCorePlayer, 7" touch screen (IQAudio DAC+ now deprecated in favour of Receiver) | OrangeSqueeze as Android controller
    LMS v7.9.2 running as a Docker in Unraid on a HP MicroServer gen8
    4522 albums with 39058 songs by 8214 artists - and always growing

  2. #2
    Senior Member Philip Meyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,596
    Quote Originally Posted by JadeMonkee View Post
    Is there a better way for favorites to be handled?
    I agree. I've mentioned the favorites handling of local music before. Essentially, SC stores the album name as an identifier for the favorite, rather than internal id's. So if you store a "Greatest Hits" album as a favorite, there's a good chance you won't get what you expect when you try to play that favorite back. eg. when you scan new albums in, you may affect an existing favorite.

    I guess this was done, as a complete clear and rescan would result in new identifiers (eg. an album id).

    The same issue can occur with artist names - there could be two artists with the same name. eg. "Blue October" is a Rock band from USA, but a UK band exists as the same name. "Nirvana" was another example. So you can't necessarily set an artist as a unique favorite too.

    It's unlikely that two bands that share the same name also share the same album title, and that a user would want to set one as a favorite. I think therefore that the album artist name and the album name need to be referenced in the favorite to uniquely identify an album favorite. However, not even this is full-proof, in that there can be several albums with the same name by "Various Artists".

    I too dislike that I can't drill down into a local music favorite. eg. set an album as a favorite - if I navigate to that favorite, I expect to be able to navigate into the album (eg. use right-arrow on a standard remote, or click the favorite name in the WebUI).to see the list of tracks.

  3. #3
    Senior Member JadeMonkee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Location
    London, UK
    Posts
    206
    Quote Originally Posted by Philip Meyer View Post
    I agree. I've mentioned the favorites handling of local music before. Essentially, SC stores the album name as an identifier for the favorite, rather than internal id's. So if you store a "Greatest Hits" album as a favorite, there's a good chance you won't get what you expect when you try to play that favorite back. eg. when you scan new albums in, you may affect an existing favorite.

    I guess this was done, as a complete clear and rescan would result in new identifiers (eg. an album id).

    The same issue can occur with artist names - there could be two artists with the same name. eg. "Blue October" is a Rock band from USA, but a UK band exists as the same name. "Nirvana" was another example. So you can't necessarily set an artist as a unique favorite too.

    It's unlikely that two bands that share the same name also share the same album title, and that a user would want to set one as a favorite. I think therefore that the album artist name and the album name need to be referenced in the favorite to uniquely identify an album favorite. However, not even this is full-proof, in that there can be several albums with the same name by "Various Artists".
    I agree, something needs to be thought up to combat this, and using two fields as an identifier seems a good start.

    Quote Originally Posted by Philip Meyer View Post
    I too dislike that I can't drill down into a local music favorite. eg. set an album as a favorite - if I navigate to that favorite, I expect to be able to navigate into the album (eg. use right-arrow on a standard remote, or click the favorite name in the WebUI).to see the list of tracks.
    I found this out this morning! Indeed, this should be implemented, too.
    2x Squeezebox Classics | 2x Squeezebox Booms | 2x Squeezebox Receivers | 1x Raspberry Pi 2 B w/ piCorePlayer, 7" touch screen (IQAudio DAC+ now deprecated in favour of Receiver) | OrangeSqueeze as Android controller
    LMS v7.9.2 running as a Docker in Unraid on a HP MicroServer gen8
    4522 albums with 39058 songs by 8214 artists - and always growing

  4. #4
    Senior Member Philip Meyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    5,596

    Incorrectly marked favourite: two albums with same name

    >I agree, something needs to be thought up to combat this, and using two
    >fields as an identifier seems a good start.
    >

    I raised bug #10259 (http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=10259) - please vote for it!

    >> I too dislike that I can't drill down into a local music favorite.

    >
    >I found this out this morning! Indeed, this should be implemented, too.
    >

    I found existing enhancement #9671 for browsing favorites (http://bugs.slimdevices.com/show_bug.cgi?id=9671). Please vote!

    Phil

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •