Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Dummy Guide to Digital HiFi

I was asked by a number of people to put together a "Dummy Guide" to digital music, and also happen to know the people that publish the official series. I am interested to see if this very knowledgable forum has a few people willing to collaboratively put this together and co-author it, since the collective knowledge here is quite amazing (and superior to mine in many areas). If there are replies to this, I shall put together a collaborative work environment (webex connect if that works for everybody) and tell people how to access it in this very thread.
    ...pablo
    Server: Win10 and LMS 8.1.0
    System: SB Touch -optical-> Benchmark DAC2HGC -AnalysisPlus Oval Copper XLR-> NAD M22 Power Amp -AnalysisPlus Black Mesh Oval-> KEF Reference 1
    Other Rooms: 2x SB Boom; 1x SB Radio; 1x SB Classic-> NAD D7050 -> Totem DreamCatcher + Velodyne Minivee Sub
    Computer audio: workstation -USB-> audioengine D1 -> Grado RS1/Shure 1540

My GF hangs out with the managing editor for Dummies series, small world!

I would consider just providing a bunch of links with brief explanations, or starting a wiki page here you can direct them too.
    'The Buddha resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a computer as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower'.
    -Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

That would be really cool.

A couple of things come to mind for organization to help make the book "future-proof"

Part 1: The basics of digital music.. things like redbook, lossless vs lossy, DRM.

Part 2: Getting digital music.
    CD ripping guides for Windows, Mac, Linux.
    Dowloading recommendations (aka, how to avoid DRM)

Part 3: Managing digital music
    iTunes, file trees, tags managment
    Sycing to portable devices

Part 4: Playback tips
    Buy squeezeboxes. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by SuperQ View Post
    A couple of things come to mind for organization to help make the book "future-proof"
    For clarification, were you asked to write a Dummies series book Pablolie?

fWIW I think a wiki article here explaining the diff between configuring a PC for bit perfect digital output vs. the ease of setting up a squeezebox might be good marketing material. E.g. you can find a lot of good technical info on Benchmark's site, but the good thing about SB is that you don't need to worry about ASIO etc.
    'The Buddha resides quite as comfortably in the circuits of a computer as he does at the top of a mountain or in the petals of a flower'.
    -Robert M. Pirsig, Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance

I actually work for the company that produces the "For Dummies" series...I proposed to the publishing group well over a year ago that they do something along these lines...unfortunately they do not think that there are enough of the potential readers to bother.

However maybe I will try again.
    SB3->Benchmark DAC1->Nait 5i->B&W 805S
    http://www.last.fm/user/jhelmus/

Quote Originally Posted by jhelmus View Post
    I actually work for the company that produces the "For Dummies" series...I proposed to the publishing group well over a year ago that they do something along these lines...unfortunately they do not think that there are enough of the potential readers to bother.

However maybe I will try again.
    I think this is a great series. I've bought several over the years and have enjoyed them. I'd bet it's been successful beyond anyone's imagination. It has always struck me as aimed more toward female buyers than male. Is that reasonable (do you know?), or way off base?

Reason why I say that - "For Dummies" is like a series of owner manuals. Males tend to ignore owner manuals, females tend to read them.

[QUOTE=Skunk;360942]For clarification, were you asked to write a Dummies series book Pablolie? .. QUOTE]

No, I have not. But last year I did contribute to a book in the series, and know some of their people through that. In an exchange with them this was mentioned as smalltalk, and some unofficial interest was expressed.
    ...pablo
    Server: Win10 and LMS 8.1.0
    System: SB Touch -optical-> Benchmark DAC2HGC -AnalysisPlus Oval Copper XLR-> NAD M22 Power Amp -AnalysisPlus Black Mesh Oval-> KEF Reference 1
    Other Rooms: 2x SB Boom; 1x SB Radio; 1x SB Classic-> NAD D7050 -> Totem DreamCatcher + Velodyne Minivee Sub
    Computer audio: workstation -USB-> audioengine D1 -> Grado RS1/Shure 1540

I am a dummy and the following website proved to be the most condensed introduction to the subject for me http://www.thewelltemperedcomputer.com/HW/USB_DAC.htm
    The complex subject is intelligently divided, information is concise and reliable, the opinions are objective and practical - a job well done.

Quote Originally Posted by pablolie View Post
    I was asked by a number of people to put together a "Dummy Guide" to digital music, and also happen to know the people that publish the official series. I am interested to see if this very knowledgable forum has a few people willing to collaboratively put this together and co-author it, since the collective knowledge here is quite amazing (and superior to mine in many areas). If there are replies to this, I shall put together a collaborative work environment (webex connect if that works for everybody) and tell people how to access it in this very thread.
    Very cool but is this the best forum for this? Then again it might be.
    If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use is the rule.

HTTP://www.last.fm/user/nonreality

Quote Originally Posted by Goodsounds View Post
    I think this is a great series. I've bought several over the years and have enjoyed them. I'd bet it's been successful beyond anyone's imagination. It has always struck me as aimed more toward female buyers than male. Is that reasonable (do you know?), or way off base?

Reason why I say that - "For Dummies" is like a series of owner manuals. Males tend to ignore owner manuals, females tend to read them.
    I really think it's a certain percentage of males that don't. I always read the manuals but not always before I dive into a product. I hate products that don't have them. When I get something new, I tend to try it alone first then grab any manual that comes with it if I get into trouble. My ego isn't big enough to ignore the need for help with things. Plus I like to read it after to get to know everything about a product. I may be different though. And if your wife is like mine, she doesn't use manual's, she just hands them to me.
    If the rule you followed brought you to this, of what use is the rule.

HTTP://www.last.fm/user/nonreality