Home of the Squeezebox™ & Transporter® network music players.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hard drive storage suggestions

I have my music collection stored on a 250gb hard drive. It is almost full. I have at least 5 more similar sized hard drives available. I would like to start filling up the other HD's but am not sure how to get my Squeezebox to recognize more than one HD @ a time.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Squeezecenter only recognizes one path to the music files so you cannot add a 2nd,3rd ... etc path.

What you can do though is add a shortcut in your existing music folder that points to the music folder on any new disk you add.

e.g If your existing music is held in C:\Music and your new disk (D also contains a music folder (D:\Music) then you need to create a shortcut in C:\Music that points to D:\Music.

When Squeezecenter performs a scan for new music, it will then follow the shortcut and scan any music in D:\Music.

If you are using a Linux based OS running Squuezecenter I imagine some sort of symbolic link would achieve the same thing.

Hard drive storage suggestions

dlsdo wrote:
    > I have my music collection stored on a 250gb hard drive. It is almost
    > full. I have at least 5 more similar sized hard drives available. I
    > would like to start filling up the other HD's but am not sure how to
    > get my Squeezebox to recognize more than one HD @ a time.
    >
    > Any suggestions?
    >

Check out this forum. Question was asked only yesterday or the day before.

Regards,
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by peter View Post
    Check out this forum. Question was asked only yesterday or the day before
    It has been a consistently re-occuring query. I guess the reason is that *all* other comparable programs anyone will have used previously have allowed them to choose any number of folders.

What is reason that SqueezeCenter only allows the user to select one folder?

MC
    Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known
    Last.fm/user/ModelCitizen

Quote Originally Posted by ModelCitizen View Post
    It's simpler.

Quote Originally Posted by JJZolx View Post
    It's simpler.
    Well... except that it patently isn't or we wouldn't find ourselves answering this question again and again...and again. )
    You want to see the signal path BEFORE it gets onto a CD/vinyl...it ain't what you'd call minimal...
    Touch(wired/W7)+Teddy Pardo PSU - Audiolense 3.3/2.0+INGUZ DRC - MF M1 DAC - Linn 5103 - full Aktiv 5.1 system (6x LK140's, ESPEK/TRIKAN/KATAN/SEIZMIK 10.5), Pekin Tuner, Townsend Supertweeters,VdH Toslink,Kimber 8TC Speaker & Chord Signature Plus Interconnect cables
    Stax4070+SRM7/II phones
    Kitchen Boom, Outdoors: SB Radio, Harmony One remote for everything.

Can't you just set up some symlinks within the folder pointing to all of the drives?

Quote Originally Posted by CatBus View Post
    Can't you just set up some symlinks within the folder pointing to all of the drives?
    Yes, that is how SlimServer currently accesses my music, spread over four drives.

The question I was asking is what is the *reason* that SlimCenter doesn't work in the same way as every comparable program I know and allow you to select multiple paths. I am curious. I imagine it might something to do with the cross-platform nature of the server, but would like this confirmed (or not) and to know more.

MC
    Somewhere, something incredible is waiting to be known
    Last.fm/user/ModelCitizen

I imagine it might something to do with the cross-platform nature of the server
    I'm guessing it's not anything so exciting. I imagine the only big roadblock is they'd have to rewrite the "Browse Music Folder" UI to accomodate multiple paths. It currently seems designed for navigating a single directory tree.

Quote Originally Posted by CatBus View Post
    Alright. Help me out here please. What are symlinks? Could you talk me through the steps necessary to direct SC to scan more than one HD?

Sorry for the lack of understanding.